Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

Flavor: Nutty Butter CrispSize: 12 per boxChange

VINE VOICEon December 13, 2005
I was just stopping in to buy some of these bars. I had one (Double Fudge Brownie) on my way out of a gym last night. I was looking for a Myoplex Deluxe bar, but they had none, so I chose this bar based on the nutritional information provided. It looked good: 20g protein, not much fat and there was a stamp on it indicating it had won an award for taste (although that "stamp" had fooled me before with other bars). This bar is delicious! Not only that, but it is quite sizeable and filling enough to get you through to your next meal, unlike most bars with similar nutritional value.

Great taste and very nutritious. Highly recommended.
on October 4, 2011
There are a few different companies selling Promax bars on Amazon, and the prices vary quite a bit. Hi-Health Supermart has the best prices I have seen so far - about $1 a bar.

That said, these bars are freakin' awesome! We bought a selection of protein bar brands at a local store. My 11 yr old son has ADHD, and his medication, taken M-F, kills his appetite. We have a real problem putting/keeping weight on him. I was looking with something high in protein and vitamins, plus a few calories to boot.

Promax had, by far, more vitamins/minerals than the other brands we tasted. Not only that, they tasted much better! The store only had Lemon and Double Fudge Brownie. Both are fabulous! It's like eating a candy bar. They are soft bars, not crumbly or dry in texture. I went ahead and bought whole boxes of those two flavors on Amazon. My son eats them as a snack or sometimes even as breakfast.

If you cut them up into little pieces, you could put fancy toothpicks in them and serve them as little desserts at a party. No one would ever know they are health food. No joke. I am going to try it! EDIT: It worked. I cut 3 kinds into little squares and served them on a pretty dish at a party. No-one asked what they were...they just ate and enjoyed them! Especially the lemon.

We now have several other flavors on order. I will add comments on those as things develop. here's an entire list, as I go...

Lemon - chewy with lumps of extra lemony goodness, covered with "white chocolate". It tastes like dessert. My husband compared them to lemon bars.

Double Fudge Brownie - chewy, milk chocolaty and very rich. Along with Lemon, my favorite.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough - the only flavor so far I do not care for. It is not bad, just rather boring to me. My son and the nieces ate it w/o comment, though.

Nutty Butter Crisp - yummy! Still chewy, but has a slightly crisp texture as if some Butterfinger or Clark bar were thrown in. Not quite like them, though. An improvement, as those candy bars stick in my teeth. This protein bar does not.
VINE VOICEon May 28, 2009
For my taste, this this is the best tasting Promax bar flavor, though all other Promax bars I've tried are good, too. It's 300 calories and provides 20g of protein. Although a bit high in carbs and sugar, calories matter to me more than carbs, so this fits with my eating goals. Not quite a full meal, for me, as a 215-220 lb. man, but I find it holds me for about 2-3 hours before I'm hungry again, and is sufficient to get my metabolism rolling in the morning, or holds hunger at bay in the evening. The price I paid was $14.99 for 12 bars, which is a terrific price compared to to other bars offering fully 20g of protein. You can get protein bars for $1 or less per bar, but rarely with as much as 20g protein. This gets 5 stars because it meets all my needs (good taste, 20g protein, under 400 calories) in a nutrition bar.

Aug 3, 2010. Ordering yet another box of these. I tend to eat one or two per week.
on September 3, 2010
These bars taste amazing - almost like a Butterfinger, but with that slight gritty protein bar texture. To get that flavor, they rely on sugar. If you want protein without the sugar, I'd recommend a slightly less convenient protein shake. My favorite is Platinum Hydrowhey by Optimum Nutrition. It has 30g of protein with no sugar compared with 20g protein and 26g sugar.
review image
on January 13, 2015
First I would like to say the chocolate chip cookie dough flavor is the best tasting of the promax protein bar flavors out there. Some of the protein bars can have a chalky kind of taste to them but this one does not have a chalky taste to it.

I really enjoy the flavor of this protein bar and I personally use this bar as a mid morning snack to satisfy my hunger cravings. I also tend to have a bit of a sweet tooth, so this bar also helps to satisfy my sweet cravings.

-20 grams protein
- No trans fat
- Great taste

- Most of the protein from Soy (soy can make me gassy)
- 26 grams sugar is a little too high

For those who are sensitive to soy protein as I am, I would try eating half the bar at first to see how your body responds. Since workout every morning, I would prefer that all my protein sources come from Whey protein, but I have found this bar to be a good supplement for me since I sit at a desk all day.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a great tasting protein bar that goes down well (my kids even think the bar tastes really good).
on April 18, 2006
This product is a great item for anyone who needs a protein/energy bar as part of the weight/muscle gain and workout program.

They have about 300 calories and 21g of protein, as well as great amino acids. The taste of the 2 varieties I tried has been good, particularly the double fudge brownie. I would recommend using these bars in conjunction with something like cytogainer or even muscle milk, because these bars alone might not be sufficient for some people.

My only complaint is they use high fructose corn syrup, but hey, nobody is perfect.
on November 18, 2009
This is the best tasting protein bar i have found thus far. Good price on amazon. The only thing is that they don't ship it insulated very well so if you live in a hot climate, you may receive them slightly melted. (This is why i gave 4 stars)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon March 18, 2015
I LOVE the taste of the lemon Promax bars. They're delicious -- lemony goodness covered in something akin to white chocolate, definitely like a sweet treat! They're fairly filling -- but they taste so very good I don't want to stop after one. I have also tried the Nutty Butter bars. They're okay, but they have a more chewy sweet, candy barish but less distinctive flavor. No risk of mistaking them for a Butterfinger, though. These bars are large (compared to most bars) and pack a powerful protein punch -- 20 grams. But it comes at a price -- high calories, at 290-300 calories a pop, and a ton of sugar, like 28 grams. If you are just looking for the protein and don't mind the sugar and calories, you won't go wrong with these. If you're looking for something less sugary, I would recommend Quest protein bars. They're a little more expensive but they taste good and they're not loaded with sugar. I will probably buy these again -- in the lemon flavor only -- but not for everyday use, more of a special treat.
on May 20, 2010
The product taste quite good for an energy bar but beware the product description if you are sensitive to cross contamination from gluten. The product is labelled as Gluten Free but the label on the bar notes that it is produced in a facility that processes wheat.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
If you need a protein fix, and that's something I'm not qualified to comment on, this baby gives you 20 grams per bar--a whopping, 40% of your RDV! I don;t think I've found anything that high. It also tastes good. The typically creamy texture of the Promax bar works well with the chocolate mint flavor--it feels smooth, refreshing, light. (That does not work as well with the Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar--which tastes eviscerated of almost all peanutty qualities).

So, 5* for an unusually good, unique taste/texture approach. However, Promax bars currently includes what even the fast food chains are dropping quicker than you can say "Public Relations": The bad nutrition du jour--trans-fat! One 75 gram bar has 8 grams of total fat, of which 3.5 are saturated, and one is trans-fat. That's a "for your information." you and your doc or nutritionist, etc., will need to make the decisions about whether and how "nutritional bars" have a place in your diet.

This Promax bar has a slew of vitamins and minerals (the mode is about 25% of the Recommended Daily Values), thanks, in part, to the chemical additives.Copper gluconate, anyone? However,that's pretty par for this type of product. has more nutritional and ingredient information, including an interesting history of the company, how Promax trounced the competition in a (Promax-sponsored) taste test, and the importance of protein. has all the info.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse