1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars A charming story with a wonderful ending, and a cool 3-D cover, April 9, 2009
This review is from: The Promise of the Snow Angel (Paperback)
Great cover! I had to find some old red-and-blue/green glasses to view it, but I don't know if there's another cover like it! And to think I almost didn't buy the book because the cover looks blurry without the special glasses.

Sometimes the events of this book were not real page-turners, such as the chapters describing Krysten growing up, and the many chapters describing Franklin the cat's journey home. However, some of the events in the cat's journey are funny and/or food for thought--such as the chapter about the cat trying to sing in the church choir, and the dialog in which two teenagers argue about religion. However, the ending is wonderful and unique, and I did sniffle a little bit when I put the book down.

I think the book ought to have been aimed at a little older target audience, due to the discussion of hi-tech conception methods, though those are simplistically described. But the re-definition of many longer words was a great touch for younger kids. There are a few things in the book which are probably just the author's errors, such as where he says a "killer pack of dogs" in Chapter 52 instead of "a pack of cats." But the pack of cats sequence is about the only violence in the book, and I admire the author for that. Whenever you turn on TV or other media it seems there's nothing but violence, murder, and worse. In fact, sorry to say, those ingredients are often what helps to sell the story and keep the pages turning.

Mr. McLaughlin has written a nice, thoughtful book without that type of content. The physical description of the characters is quite shallow, and the cat is actually described better than the humans. But overall the characters are believable, and the book left me with a warm glow and a sense of depth in both space and time.

The Promise of the Snow Angel
The Promise of the Snow Angel by Stephen McLaughlin (Paperback - May 31, 2007)
$14.95 $14.21