5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but you shouldn't stop here.
Published on July 21, 2006 by S. Renuard

1.0 out of 5 stars No Intimate Portrait of Michael Landon
I totally agree with Kandice Esposito's excellent, articulate and objective synthesis of this book. Michael Landon deserves an infintely better biography than this.
Published on August 24, 2003 by H. C. Traveller

1.0 out of 5 stars No Intimate Portrait of Michael Landon, August 24, 2003
H. C. Traveller (Guildford, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Promised My Dad: An Intimate Portrait of Michael Landon (Hardcover)
Michael's journey through life was not an easy one and he had both his good and less good sides as we all do. But I would like to read a book that compassionately reflects his life's journey from being a survivor of child abuse to one of the most beloved and successful individuals in the history of television.
Cheryl Landon's book seems to me to be the autobiography of a needy individual not yet able to fully resolve her relationship with her late stepfather. The book is poorly written in terms of content and structure and is very poorly illustrated. There are so many wonderful and evocative photos of Michael that could have been used to make this book a collector's item for that aspect alone.
I am so glad that I didn't waste my money on this book and, instead, bought the A&E Michael Landon Biography from Amazon. It is a fascinating, compassionate and respectful video that tells the viewer so much about Michael and it also contains many utterly delightful family photos as well as very interesting comments from his family, friends and colleagues. This video is a fine tribute and one that all of us who hold Michael in affection can enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but you shouldn't stop here., July 21, 2006
S. Renuard "Eclectic" (Mount Ida, AR United States) - See all my reviews
This is a terrific book for any Michael Landon fan who wants to know the more personal side and home life of the man. But if you truly want to know all sides of him, there are other books out there that show a more unbiased look you should read as well. You have to keep in mind that this comes from a grieving daughter who is still bitter over his divorce from her mother. Although there's no doubt that she loved him dearly, being an actual step-daughter, it's obvious that she took her mother's side in the divorce. There are always two sides to any dispute. I'm not saying he did nothing wrong. But she conveniently leaves his side out, not only about the divorce, but about how unfair she makes his will seem. After reading several other books on Michael Landon, the whole picture comes more clearly into view. Over all, I would still strongly recommend this book, but it shouldn't stand alone.

3.0 out of 5 stars A promise, January 3, 2006
This book was more about Cheryl than it was Michael. that is why I gave it 3 stars. it does have some interesting reading about the Landon family. it was not a bad book but just not what I expected I wanted to read more about Michael and his life. an ok read.

4.0 out of 5 stars For Better or Worse..., November 29, 2000
By A Customer
I enjoyed this book very much, I felt it was well written and gutsy. Michael Landon's stepdaughter describes her father in a way that surprised me, as a human being with faults and weaknesses the same as anyone else. She didn't describe him as this wonderful, larger-than-life megastar that only had time for his work. It was humbling to know his origins, his heartaches, his humiliations growing up as a Jewish person when that wasn't the most popular thing to be. The story of his overcoming all the obstacles was heartening and enlightening, and I finally saw him as just a person, a father, husband, friend, son, brother; not just the Pa I dreamed of having on Little House, and not necessarily as angelic as Jonathan on Highway to Heaven. It is well worth the reading, and I recommend it to anyone who is/was a fan of Michael Landon.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Intimate Portrait Indeed!, September 21, 2013
Only rated this 4 stars because I think there were some scenes that could have been shorter, and a little time could have been spent more on Michael Landon. While there was a lot of time devoted to Michael's life-story, there were a few chapters that had too much of Cheryl's college/dating life.
On a positive note, this book was a great read for me! I've been watching Michael Landon since I was 3, and finished the book in 2 days! I loved the pictures of Michael and his family, especially when there's a great shot of his gorgeous long hair! How I envy Cheryl Landon, growing up with this man constantly in her home and life practically her whole life.
The final chapter on his diagnosis/death were heart-wrenching. I cried heavily when I read of his death, and the words spoken between him and his children.

Cheryl, this was indeed a wonderful book and I cannot wait to read: "Michael Landon's Legacy."
Michael, I love you, and I always will! RIP Michael Landon.
<3ML

1.0 out of 5 stars Any biography title that begins with "I".., August 23, 2013
Any biography title that begins with the letter "I", should be a warning flag that the book is about the person writing it, not the intended subject.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, June 15, 2013
This book was recommended to me and I found it very enjoyable. I would recommend it to others . Glad I purchased it .

3.0 out of 5 stars Apparently? A more cathartic memory for daughter Cheryl to ..., November 23, 2014
Apparently? A more cathartic memory for daughter Cheryl to get through her father's passing but more about her than him.

5.0 out of 5 stars i promised my dad ,, December 30, 2011
I've always been a fan of micheal landons through all his tv shows and became a bigger fan in how honorably he dealt with his demise , I think his daughter wrote a wonderful story about her father , flaws and all for us to appriecate and better understand the man , i myself read this book years ago , but I bought this copy for my best friend who also liked Mr. Landon's work as a Christmas present this year , thanks book was in perfect condition .

5.0 out of 5 stars I Loved This Autobiography, January 17, 2013
There were so many negative comments about this book I just had to read it for myself. I must say, I don't get all the negativity surrounding this book. It is so similar to his "Triumph and Tragedy" but goes on to tell more of Cheryl's relationship with Michael as well. All in all, a great read, she really loved her Dad. A fine tribute.

I Promised My Dad: An Intimate Portrait of Michael Landon
I Promised My Dad: An Intimate Portrait of Michael Landon by Cheryl Landon (Hardcover - Nov. 1992)
Used & New from: $0.01