Customer Discussions > Caprica: Season 1.5 forum

Prophecies of BSG and Caprica

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 1, 2010 8:06:23 PM PST
JohnnyR says:
This may sound a little crazy but I've seen too many things happen in my lifetime after we dreamed of them. Ron Moore and David Eick may not even realize how prophetic their stories are. But they are. And these things will happen if we continue to progress as we are doing now

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 1:24:57 PM PST
M. Johnson says:
Sometimes things seem prophetic when they restate our understanding of the past. Human nature is constant, although societies seem to rise and fall by various measures, including morally. This seems to be the overarching moral of the new BSG/Caprica universe.

More specifically, the original BSG was an allegorical retelling of the Mormon Handcart Trek to Utah under Brigham Young before the American Civil War. Few non-Mormons know this. Whether conscious of this or not, Moore and Eick have developed a theology even more Mormon than shown in the original.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2011 11:44:28 AM PST
I think that is why it is good to have good writting in our fictional stories. I suppose anything is possible and to let your mind think that is good so a problem can be worked on. I know it sounds crazy.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2011 1:18:17 AM PDT
E Bordvik says:
I'm LDS, and I can attest to this. The BSG/Caprica mythology is fraught with LDS themes including:
The pride/destruction cycle and the (All this has happened before, and will happen again)
The eternity of intelligence
Physical bodies are a blessing, not a curse
Gadianton robbers

LDS doctrine holds that God organized our spirit bodies out of pre-existant intelligence. God can be thought of as the "master programmer" ,and our spirits are organized software objects. It has been speculated that the hybrid from BSG "Razor" was Daniel Graystone, because Graystone thought of the cylons as his children, and the hybrid said that his children believed that he was a god. Whether one is LDS or not, the BSG/Caprica mythology addresses some deep philosophical questions about the nature and personality of God.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2013 1:14:02 PM PDT
Mark Victor says:
"... organized our spirit bodies out of pre-existent intelligence." This also sounds like the scenario described by Orson Scott Card in Children of the Mind (one of the Ender novels).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Caprica: Season 1.5 forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Dec 1, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Caprica: Season 1.5
Caprica: Season 1.5 by Eric Stoltz (DVD - 2010)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (159)