4.0 out of 5 stars Prophet
Published on December 1, 1999 by dawn maynard

3.0 out of 5 stars Great topic, good story.
Published on May 15, 2001 by Michael Erisman

4.0 out of 5 stars Prophet, December 1, 1999
dawn maynard (Macon Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prophet: A Novel (Paperback)
Through the investigation of the death of his father, John Barrett discovers his true calling. He seeks the truth with greater vengeance as he uncovers the plot behind his fathers death and the politcal corruption that is brought to light as he begins to understand who his father is. This book is one of mystery and intrigue and I found myself enjoying this book more than This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness simply because the characters were narrowed down to a few instead of the many incorporated in the other two. And I must agree with other reviewers that this was brilliantly executed although I would have liked to see more of the relationship between the main character and his son Carl. Though John Barrett knows his future and begins in his own way to prepare his son, the question is raised will son Carl pick up where dad and granddad left off? Only God knows.
I heartily recommend this book. It kept my interest in a way most other novels I've read didn't. Aren't we all searching for the truth?

4.0 out of 5 stars Introducing the modern day Elijah and Elisha, June 14, 2000
This review is from: Prophet: A Novel (Paperback)
This book has heart-thumping action, detailed character and plot development, intense dialogue and deep and explosive spiritual impact. These ingredients aid in making this book deliciously engaging and a must read.
The book begins in the world of John Barrett, a successful news anchorman for channel 6 and his father, a successful businessman. Their two worlds collide when John's father makes the news by challenging a prominent political figure. John's disdain for his father's public proselytizing is brought to a sudden halt when his father is mysteriously killed. This event forces John to understand his father, go head to head with a powerful politician, reconcile with his son, question his own integrity and keep the newscrew of channel 6 from putting an erroneous spin on a story!
This book addresses the cultural and moral battles that are prevalent in our society today. The spiritual warfare in the book is extremely intriguing and the suspenseful plot will keep the reader hanging on every word. This book challenges us to be a modern day prophet in a world that seems to have a decreasing sense of morality.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT!!!!!, October 30, 1999
This review is from: Prophet: A Novel (Paperback)
This book, like all of Frank Peretti's other books, was hard to put down. It catches your interest and you just have to find out what is going to happen. I have to say he is my favorite author to date. I have read all of his books, loved them all and recommend to anyone who enjoyed this book to read his others, This Present Darkness, Piercing the Darkness, The Oath, and his newest - The Visitation. I can't wait for him to come out with a new one.

5.0 out of 5 stars exceptional, August 22, 1999
This review is from: Prophet: A Novel (Paperback)
Mr. Peretti, I really enjoyed this book. You opened the doors to the media for me. You showed me how the media could cover things up and make things appear real that truly are not. I like the way that you showed how the Holy Spirit can truly open our eyes and see truth in a world that does not know nothing about it. I truely would recommend this book to anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great topic, good story., May 15, 2001
This review is from: Prophet: A Novel (Paperback)
Frank Peretti has established himself as an excellent writer of fiction (see This Present Darkness), as well as non-fiction (with the Wounded Spirit). In this book he tackles some hot social issues through the story of a man's journey of awakening to who he is and what he stands for. The social comments regarding the media, and the way news is spun to meet the agenda's of the (usually liberal) owners of the media outlet, is right on the money and reflective of what we have seen recently in the 2000 Presidential race. In this story, the topic is abortion rights, and the plot involves a news reporter's choice between doing what he believes is right, and keeping his job and status as an anchor. The story is well written, and once you get a chapter or two into the book, it is hard to put down. I gave this book three stars in comparison to his other works, but it is an excellent read and well worth the time and effort to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars in defense of the details, June 25, 1999
This review is from: Prophet: A Novel (Paperback)
I can't really say anymore than the previous reviews of this book have already said: yes, it was excellent, supenseful, brilliant... I have no complaints. But to those who feel it was too wordy, particularly in the news room scenes, I have to defend Mr. Peretti by informing them that the point to his detail was to get us behind the scenes of the news as we know it, and let us in on much of what is really going on. A careful reader would have caught some subtle implications in these scenes that enriched the novel -- the symbolism of the sensationalism as well as the falseness of the set and of the opening of the news hour. (In fact, I think it would have improved the novel if Mr. Peretti had not explained some of the symbols, such as the coat passed on from father to son, and the fake monitor at the end of the news desk. They were quite clear as they were.) These details also showed that Mr. Peretti "did his homework," something that gives the story even more credibility. I have to admit that certain details were distracting and difficult to trudge through, but I blame that on my laziness as modern reader. I know one thing, I won't ever view news broadcasts the same again. Peretti not only gave us an excellent story, he educated us in the process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, September 23, 2012
This review is from: Prophet: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I found "The Prophet" to be a riveting read. While the plot compells you to read on, Frank as a Christian author challenges your views and stance on many topics using believable characters in real life situations. He tackles difficult and challenging topics such as the manipulating effects news broadcasters have on the viewing audience and how often stories are discarded for what is most appealing to the senses, how stories with extreme importance can be buried in the the queue etc. This was an eye opener for me. You really came to care about the characters and the situations they faced.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Had Expected, August 1, 2000
This review is from: Prophet: A Novel (Paperback)
I have read this book, as well as many of Peretti's other books (This Present Darkness, Piercing the Darkness, The Oath). And though I have given a "thumbs up" to the "Darkness" books, I was disappointed with this read.
Now to be fair, I had read the "Darkness" books first, so I felt I had a taste of what made a "Peretti" book entailed. I didn't necessarily expect visible spiritual warfare, but I did expect it to be more of a thriller. Unfortunately for me, it was not.
The book's content: John Barrett, a news anchor, attempts to find the cause and reasoning behind his father's death and in the process, moves from a secular, worldly viewpoint to a more godly one, which forever changes his life.
I am surprised at all the reviews claiming it was a thriller, and maybe I should read it again at a later date to get a fresh look at it, but to be honest, I know I never will. I found myself skimming through much of the book, looking for more "meat" than I was finding. Also, in talking to other friends of mine who read the book, they seemed to agree with me. It was a bit longer and slower than it really needed to be, especially given Peretti's track record.
I suppose the bottom line is not to read the book with any expectations, as I did, and you may find it to be very enjoyable read--not all the reviews on here can be wrong! But as far as its ranking stands with other Christian fiction novels out there, I'd have to say it didn't "shine" any brighter than some other choices out there for me. Also note that had the grading scale allowed it, I would have given it a 2.5 stars out of 5 rather than a 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, March 15, 1999
This review is from: Prophet: A Novel (Paperback)
Prophet by Frank E. Peretti is a fictional novel that in many ways can administer to our lives today. It is the story of one `John Barret' a news anchor for channel 6. He is (like most media of these days) caught up in the liberal, secular views of the world. Soon, after many hard roads, he will be awakened to the truth. Being a modern day prophet he will try to share this truth with other people, while many evil forces of the world are fighting against him.
It starts off as an ordinary day for John, until his father (also a prophet) is seen by the world on television condemning a pro abortion Governor. John does not applaud this from his father, until the next day he finds out that his father is killed. Was it really an accident? This it the first truth that John has to find. John's son (whom he had been separated from for many years) has also wandered far from the Truth. They were reunited for a while during his father's funeral. Was there still a love between this father and son? This is the second truth that John is searching for.
It turns out that John's father had been going after this abortion issue for many years. When John found this out this issue went from being his father's passion to John himself, even to John's son. Through the next hard weeks John, his mother, his son, and even a few close friends will go through great tribulations for one reason, to find the truth.
By the end of this saga John will have gone from being a worldly, follow the crowd person, to a man who will speak up and take a stand. Yes, John did take a stand, at the expense of his career, but in his heart he knew he did what was right. He may have also saved many families from going through the terrible sin of abortion.
Frank Peretti has once again brought his readers through a fictitious, but true to life story that shows how corrupt and dark this world is. He illustrates what it is like to be the one to stand up for what is right. He worded the entire story to be a mirrored image of this present immoral world. This book will be a challenge to anyone who is far from the truth today.

5.0 out of 5 stars I just couldn't put it down!, December 27, 2002
This review is from: Prophet: A Novel (Paperback)
At first it may seem dragging because of all the news terms, but you grow to love it. There are times when I didn't want to turn the page in fear of knowing what would happen to John and Leslie's investigation and if it gets foiled and whatnot. But I just had to finish the story.
The book taught me a lot of things: about abortion, about newscasting, about the law and most especially, about how God speaks to His people. And the very description of the lamb is so breathtaking, I also want to see it!
It's an amazingly good read, one that will keep you on the edge of your seats and learn a lot from too. (This should be made into a movie!)

Prophet
Prophet by Frank Peretti (Paperback - March 11, 2004)
$14.99 $13.20