on June 2, 2010
First thing is first. I am filled with sorrow for the many unfortunate Davidians (especially the children) that perished. I remember vividly watching their property on television light up into an ablaze. " On April 19,1993 (day 51of the siege), the world watched in horror as the Branch Davidians compound burst into a city-block sized funeral pyre. David Koresh and somewhere between seventy-five and eighty-five of his loyal followers, including approximately twenty-five children, met their end in the all-consuming inferno." p.15
I was overcome with shock and terror. My emotions forced me to turn the television off. I can only hope that those that survived are well rehabilitated.
The reason why I give this book a five star is because it defines how a wolf dressed in sheep's clothes can manipulate you. This good read exposes hypnotism, and how an ostensibly good person can twist the scriptures. I know for sure that any book that exposes the trickery of a cult leader, committee, elders, congregation, Kingdom Hall etc., deserves five stars.
The first chapter hits the nail right on the head. It reads, "ANY PERSON experiencing an identity crisis in a serious spiritual quest is theoretically vulnerable to the seductive outreach of the cults...persons who have recently gone through some kind of painful life experience or who find themselves in a state of unusual anxiety, stress, or uncertainty are far more susceptible...when someone is feeling exceedingly anxious, uncertain, hurt, lonely, unloved, confused, or guilty, that person is a prime prospect for those who come in the guise of religion offering a way out or "peace of mind."" --- Ronald Enroth, Sociologist p.17
There are SOOO many preachers, teachers and gurus around the world that claim to have conversed with Jesus or a deity (some belief systems swear that Christ is every present in their Kingdom Hall, Church, Temple...
This is actually frightening. I say this because this psychological feeling can give birth to hallucinations. This book states it clearly, "He (Vernon) came to believe that God had chosen him to speak... his misguiding thinking...focusing especially on the youth...Vernon countered by claiming that God told him..." p.25
The minds of many present cultists are blocked. They are not allowed to have any challenging question or allowed to think critically. The founder of this movement (Vernon (latter he changed his name to David Koresh)) made it incumbent upon his followers that "it is wrong to use one's own mind, one's own reasoning power..." p. 61
The cult leader(s) enters into the subconscious of the feeble mind by interpreting certain verses to justify his/her mischief. This great book informs the reader about such evil, " ...Koresh took key Adventist themes and twisted into his own configuration. The results were deadly." p.97
The Branch Davidians are no exception to deception. This book also exposes other camouflaged cult movements, like the Jehovah's Witnesses (Charles Taze Russell (founder) and his pathetic false prophecies), Mormons, and the Christian Scientists.
I could only imagine (as I type) how many more cults are emerging from the swamps. The book goes into detail with those that were acquainted with its founder. It has 44 pages of informative interviews (the founders parents, and the lucky ones that abandoned the movement).
The core of it all is brainwashing. "The term mind control is used synonymously with brainwashing...a belief system that denigrates independent critical thinking...it is also asserted that the techniques of mind control are so subtle that most individuals subjected to them don't even realize that they are being influenced..." p.220
This book has a twin. 30 YEARS A WATCHTOWER SLAVE by William J. Schnell. This is a must read. The ex-witness shares his 30 LONG years of experience. He exposes one of the Kingdom Halls tricks. " Before the unwary victim realizes it, he had surrender all individualism, abandoned all personal thinking, and given up all private initiative..." p.23...little did I realize at the time that I was entering into slavery...zombi existence...p.29...agree to accept without question the Society's teachings, and to bow abjectly to her supervision...this second wave of brainwashing thus resulted in the complete subjection of individuality into theocratic mindedness...p.48
This was a great read. I recommend it to anyone that's interested in mind control and theology.
I close by saying that I hope my sharing of this read was lucid.
Be well.
on June 19, 2013
"Prophets of the Apocalypse" focuses on the actions of David Koresh and the Branch Davidians by following their history up to and including the tragic events surrounding the Waco Massacre in 1993. Other groups are also mentioned in the book as well as some general information regarding cult activities, organization, and doctrines along with a look at how these groups have influenced, brainwashed, and even murdered many Americans who were well educated and careful despite their ultimate and untimely fates. This book belongs on the shelf of anyone interested in American cults and their presence in our society. A truly fascinating read.
on April 6, 2012
I must say, this was a well-researched book, which showed a comprehensive look at the horror leading to David Koresh. It shows how the man took on the davidian founder, and wormed his way into control. It also provided a few more examples of types of cults. A recommended easy read.
on September 3, 2011
This book deals with the end of times. It talks mostly about David Koresh, but it does also talk about other groups. I haven't seen too many books dealing with that. I found it interesting to read.