Propper Men's Lightweight Tactical Pant, Coyote, 36 x 32
Size: 36 x 32Color: CoyoteChange
Price:$41.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Like most of you, if you are reading reviews for these pants, I am always on the hunt for that perfect pair of practical (or cargo, or tactical, as you prefer) pants. I am not military or law enforcement, and I don't really want to look like a Wannabee - but I do engage in practical activities that require a good pair of practical pants. I'm a competitive shooter (mostly IDPA) and need pants that can hold and stow a lot of gear for a long day at the range. I also need them to be strong and durable, comfortable, and to allow good freedom of movement. And yeah, I will also wear them all weekend long too, or on trips around town.

There are a few key brand names in the Tactical Pants business. 5.11 is one, perhaps the most popular or well known. It is difficult to discuss the attributes of a pair of Tac pants without making the obvious comparisons to 5.11. Add to that - this pant is designed VERY SIMILAR in many aspects to the 5.11 Tactical pants. Therefore, it is almost necessary to compare them side-by-side.

I recently purchased my first pair of Propper pants, in Gray lightweight, 32x30. If you don't want to read all the way through - here's the cut to the chase: I like them very much and will probably buy more. Now, here's why:

- Quality of finish and materials is top notch. There are no loose threads, no crooked seams, no dropped stiches. Good stuff all around.
- Rip-stop material is light but incredibly strong. You will get a lot of wear from these pants before they hit the rag pile. They also feel very breathable, unlike a typical synthetic feel. This could just be because they are lightweight, but it works.
- Sizing is very accurate. One important note however - the sizing is a very true sizing, not ego sizing. I have several 5.11 pants in 32 waist and they are much looser than these Propper pants are at the waist. That is good and bad... it's okay if you really do know and order your real size, but not if you rely on the "extra" that most clothing makers give these days. That said, I would like a wee little bit of relaxation to the waist. The expandable elastic waistband is a bit rough on the skin. This is in part due to the synthetic material (opposed to soft cotton), but worn snug they will leave some red marks.
- The Propper pants are almost a carbon copy of the 5.11 design, but for a few key and very noteable exceptions:
--- Rear pockets are not as low cut as 5.11, but run straight across at the back
--- Inside the rear pockets (which are large and roomy) there is a second pocket that is "regular sized" and perfect for a wallet. This is a HUGE plus for me, because I hate my wallet rolling around inside the 5.11 pants and landing in all sorts of uncomfortable spots. The wallet stays put right where it should be in the Proppers - whether you are a right or left cheeck kinda guy... they are both there.
--- The front right pocket has a watch pocket as well as a small inner sub-pocket at the bottom. Both good to have. The left has neither and is just a normal pocket. Front pockets are well cut with a good angle, allowing easy in/out access for your hand - even if you're holding something in your hand...
--- Fewer belt loops on Propper than on 5.11, and differently spaced.
--- Less material in the crotch area on Propper than on 5.11. If you do significant crouching activities, you may notice the difference.
--- The fly is shorter on the Propper, maybe by 1/2" or more overall. This does have an ergonomic impact gentlemen (I prefer the 5.11 one).

- Things that are same/similar to 5.11 Tactical Pro:
--- The lower edges of the pocket stitching is reinforced for a knife or flashlight clip or similar. This should help prevent premature wear from metal clips. (front pockets only on Propper, 5.11 has it also on rears)
--- Left side small cargo pocket, perfect for most cell phones, flashlight, magazine, etc. Basically identical to 5.11
--- Right appendix D-ring on belt loop
--- Similar material weight and construction. Rip-stop synthetic blend.

- Miscellaneous comparisons (in no particular order):
-- 5.11 is overall more comfortable right off the bat, but Propper is cleaner looking and "dressier".
-- Propper has much less "droopy flat butt" look than 5.11. Trade is comfort and flex versus ego and appearance. Your significant other will tell you that you look better in the Propper pants. :-)
-- Propper includes a nice duty-style belt in the matching color of your pants. That's nothing to sneeze at, because even a cheap duty belt is $20 or more. The belt is great quality, but is a bit longer than it needs to be. A great added value.

Overall, I don't want to give an opinion about one versus the other. I think the comparison is important, whether you're trying to decide between the two brands for a first purchase, or if you're familiar with 5.11 already. In the final analysis - I like these Propper Tactical Lightweight pants, and will order more. I have the gray - which is much darker than the photo here shows. Khaki would probably be my next choice, since summer is coming soon! Propper is about $10 less than 5.11, as of this writing. Consider the included belt, and that is a great value. I think you owe it to yourself to give them a try!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 8, 2011
The fit is perfect for the advertised inseam / waist size. Very durable quality, yet not as "starchy" feel as my other synthetic cargo pants. Rainproof and just the right amount of pockets for a tactical flashlight, cell phone, utility tools, etc. Also works perfectly with various hoists for firearms (I've only tried with my .45 and .357-special handguns and revolvers, which are heavier and bulkier than some others).

The belt is thick, strong nylon. I ordered two of these, in case they are discontinued in the future.

* UPDATE * It survived the wrath of a charging boar (and saved my flesh), so I know the pants are worth it!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 8, 2010
Having semi-retired, I realized that I could start wearing what I want to wear instead of worrying about what looks right. After several false starts, I discovered these pants, and when I need to wear pants (about 4 months a year), I will be wearing these. The rest of the year I will wear the lightweight tactical shorts. They have all the pockets I need (and useful pockets). The pocket-inside-the-pocket is not a gimmick. It keeps my wallet secure. The hook and look fasteners all work well. The tough but light cloth is a joy to be in (you could run in them quite comfortably). They come with an excellent nylon belt that is better than the polyester D-ring belts I previously used. Sizing is true, but there is some elastic in the waist that allows a little cheating. I am now a Propper customer for life.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 12, 2013
I also ordered the 5.11 tactical light pants. I prefer the Proppers. Here's some points why I like them and some differences between the 2 products:

- less baggy fit (even thus I know the 5.11 are baggy on purpose, it's a matter of preference maybe). The proppers are not tight by any means, but it is less baggy and I prefer the cut.

- "Correct" fit. Now I know this is arguable, but I got exactly the size I ordered, it matches what I usually get for jeans, and the measured size confirms its correct. The 5.11 sizes matched the label but other than that were pretty much out of the norm (i'm actually returning the 5.11 because of that primarily)

- The included belt is nice and strong, although obviously its not anything fancy, if you're also wearing these as casual pants you might want to get a different belt. The belt loops are large, which is cool.

- The 5.11 has an arguably "cooler" pocket setup. That being said I'm ok with the Propper pockets. The phone pocket even fits my SGS 3 which is quite large. Not sure if a Note would fit.

- The 5.11 looks like it has more teflon coating/slightly thicker, which makes the 5.11 look like it can take more punishment.. however:

- The finish of the propper on the sewing points seems better - that being said only time would tell if its really more durable.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 14, 2013
They runs slightly small but they have some elastic built into the band to help with the fit. I wear between a 34-35 inch waist and I got the 36 inch waist and it sits fine without stretching the elastic at all. I bought them long so I could tuck them into my boots during tick season and I normally wear a 32 inch length and I bought the 34 inch length and it was perfect to give me a little extra. The pants do not have any blousing straps at the bottom, the description doesn't advertise any but pants like these often have them and for full disclosure I though it was worth mentioning. The material doesn't feel like normal ACU or multicam bottoms, it feels much more synthetic. The feel doesn't bother me, it isn't rough or uncomfortable but I though it was worth mentioning. I bought the olive green color and they came a little more green than olive but they'll work well for my purposes. I'll probably buy another pair in the coyote brown color.
If you would like to know something specific about this item just ask and I'll try to respond within a day or so.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 31, 2014
Bought these last august, in the Khaki color.I bought the size 52's and they are true to real size, not store size. I wanted to get a good bead on their toughness, so i decided to wear them until they busted. Wore and washed these pants every single day since roughly august 15. Literally, as in all day at work, and machine wash and dry after. Lasted till February, which is damn tough by any measure. The pants themselves have not ripped, but the main pockets have worn through on the inside where my tools rubbed against each other. Velcro is somehow still fully sewn on, and mostly velcro-y even after a lot of use. no real gripes here, fully as advertised, very nice for folks that have a ton of crap to carry, much better looking then most cargos, magazine pocket will actually hold a full size magazine. For those that care, even after all this wear and washing, the seams are all completely intact, no lose stitching or abrasion at the corners, the knees still look new, the crotch is fully intact, they are roomy enough for even a long legged fat dude to move in.
on May 31, 2015
After less than 2 months the front snap broke in half! It's not because of undue pressure being put on the snap. at 6'2 175ibs, a 34" waist pant is not going to be a tight fit. Since I'm deployed to Afghanistan and have no way to get them fixed I'm stuck with a useless pair of pants until I return to the States.
on September 20, 2013
i'm fat. they make good pants in my size. they are affordable. this style even comes with a free belt, worth an easy ten bucks! rugged, durable, nice looking (even on me!).
on August 10, 2012
I got these pants for hiking and for rough endurance sports. They are definitely durable, seem well built, and can take abuse. The pockets are handy for storing whatever you need close at hand that you don't want to have to dig through a pack for. The knee pad pockets are great for any after-market knee pad out there or even just for placing a bit of carpet foam in there.

My main beef is that these run extremely small. I'm 6', and a 30 inch inseam is what I wear for dress pants. Taking a shot, I got the 30" inseam... WAY too small. No problem, I'll just get the 32" inseam that every single other non-dressy pair of pants I own is and fits me no problem... the pant legs still seem just a bit too short, and they still are very tight in the crotch.

I feel a 34" would be too baggy, so I'm stuck with these. They are good pants for day-to-day use. I can't recommend them for anything moderately athletic that free hip and leg movement is needed.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 12, 2013
Love all the pockets and stretch waistline. Cargo pockets are almost unusable with them being too small, need bigger cargo pockets with more billow to them. I bought my usual size and the pants slide off me unless I cinch up the belt tight so buy a size or two smaller unless you like a real tight belt.