1,551 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars good quality
Published on November 1, 2011 by longmontmatt

Published on May 26, 2012 by Amy

5.0 out of 5 stars good quality, November 1, 2011
I had the Harbinger 3/8" mat before this one, so can compare the two. This one is made of a thicker foam, and it does not slide around on wood floors (or at least only a little). Big plus when doing sit-ups. In the picture it looks like it is ribbed, but the ribs are actually very small, so not anything to consider one way or the other. I actually thought the bottom would be ribbed, and that was why it would not move around, but that is not the case. It is just that the foam is not slick like the Harbinger mat.

The 'carrying case' is just the straps you see in the picture. They slide off/on the mat, which is nice, as you can just set them aside. With the Harbinger mat the straps are glued on, and that did me no good as I most often have the mat unrolled at home, and the straps would get in the way.

All-in-all this is a higher quality mat than the Harbinger mat. If I was to knock it, I guess I could say that the foam is almost too dense. But I actually like the fact that my hips, etc, will never make contact with the floor (I'm 170 lbs, and with all my weight on one knee I would say that I'm still at least an 1/8" off the floor).

4.0 out of 5 stars Very THICK Mat - Pros & Cons, December 6, 2011
I tend to double up on yoga mats when practicing, so this mat is perfect when doing poses involving resting on your knees. However, this mat is not suitable for postures that focus on and involve balance. With the mat being so thick and well-cushioned, I found my feet sinking deeper into the mat and leaving an impression for the remainder of yoga class. Also, during certain poses, the mat will make a "squeaking" sound when adjusting your stances and postures. I would recommend this mat for anyone specifically looking for cushion & comfort. Also, when rolled up, the mat is VERY THICK bundled up and may not fit within most yoga carrying bags or cases.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Knees No Longer Hurt While Working Out, January 10, 2012
I bought the ProSource Premium 1/2 inch Yoga Mat because my knees were hurting when I used the thinner mats the gym provided. I knew I needed to purchase my own mat and that it needed to be thicker than what I was using if I wanted to save my knees and still perform all the yoga positions. This does the trick. I am able to do everything and without pain in my knees. I strongly advise it for anyone with knee issues.

2.0 out of 5 stars The first thing my yoga instructors told me? "That's not a good mat.", May 26, 2012
As the title of this review declared, the first thing my two yoga instructors told me as soon as they saw my new mat was that it was not a good mat. Unfortunately, I have learned they were right. I purchased this mat a couple months ago and have not been happy with it. If you are only going to practice yoga perhaps 1x a month, then sure, buy this cheap mat and you should be fine. If, however, you intend to practice yoga regularly (at least one time a week), then this mat will not cut it.

Issues with mat:

(1) Extremely slick. There is no grip when you place the mat on the floor. In addition to this, if you intend to practice hot yoga/Bikram yoga, you will slip and slide all over this mat as you sweat.

(2) Tears/rips easily.

(3) Although it looks thick and full, it doesn't stay that way. As you maneuver into different positions, the mat smashes down and offers even less cushion than a much thinner mat. After just one yoga class, the mat was already compressed and flatter and it never returned to its original thickness.

This is a cheap mat, but not a good one. It is better for napping on, not for practicing yoga.

1.0 out of 5 stars Two Things, December 19, 2012
Had to return it.

1. Much harder for balance postures as thicker foam makes for more instability.
2. Material started to deteriorate after my first few uses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality mat for working out, November 30, 2012
I've had this mat for 4 months now, and after a fair amount of usage (around 3 times a week), I think I can give a honest review. I don't do yoga on this mat though, so I can't vouch for that-I use it mainly for push ups, sit ups, and other exercises.

First thing about this mat is that it's thick (1/2 inch thick, as mentioned in the title). I think the reviewers who were complaining about getting holes in their mat received a defective unit or something, because my mat is still fine. You can't feel the floor or anything even if you press down hard on it, so it's pretty comfortable for sit ups. Also, I'm pretty tall, and the 71 inch length of this mat is perfect for me. The two sides on the mat are also textured differently-one side has little ridges while the other is smooth-so it's nice to have some choice.

Also, the carrying strap that comes with it is a nice add-on for easy transportation. It's separate from the mat so there's a chance of losing it if you're careless. After rolling it all up, it's around half a foot total in diameter, so it fits in the corner of my closet pretty well. It's a bit bulkier than some of the thinner yoga mats, but then again, it's also a lot thicker than the other mats so if that's a trade-off you're willing to make, I suggest getting this mat for the extra comfort.

Some of the other reviewers complained about the the mat slipping, but I don't notice it when I'm working out. Maybe that's a yoga thing. There's only one minor part about this mat that annoys me personally, and it's that the imprint of whatever's been on the mat stays on the mat for a little while, kind of like memory foam mattresses, but that's such a minor detail-not enough to warrant taking a star off the review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best pilates / yoga mat I could find for under $20, January 31, 2012
Was on sale when I purchased; wish I'd bought more before they ran out of stock as my sister and mom both want one (would have made great Xmas gifts - oh well). One of the few mats I could find that is thick enough to be truly comfortable for me and also reasonably priced. I use it for both yoga and pilates, although some may prefer a thinner mat for yoga. I prefer a thick mat for everything as I need something to cushion my bones from my hard tile floor. Seems to be adequately "sticky" - certainly stays in place well for me. Also easy to clean; I just wash it off in the tub once in a while, pat it as dry as I can and then let it air dry. Nice and light for travel and the strap for transport and keeping it stored is simple and effective. I noticed a lot of people complained about the smell of this mat, but have to say there is no odor unless I have my nose shoved up against it, and then there is a definite (but mild) smell of foam rubber because, hello, this is made of foam rubber. I.e., perfectly normal and typical for this type of material. I have extremely sensitive skin and am prone to allergies, but have no problems with this mat (or with foam in general), however your mileage may vary. If you are sensitive to man-made materials, buy an all cotton or other all natural materials mat; for everyone else this is a decent budget buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Must have been thru a flood, January 26, 2013
The mat is thick and I recommend it to anyone with knee issues. It took me a long time to decide to order this despite all of the glowing reviews. I injured my knee two years ago (I'm 33) and had to postpone my yoga practice. I can't put pressure on my knee at all which has been frustrating. This mat is so thick while still being firm that my knee is craddled and does not push thru to the hardwood floor. It's a godsend. I haven't used it yet, I'm only unrolled it and tested it with my knees.

I will however warn everyone that I suspect the reason these mats are being offered at such a low price is because they were stored in a facility that flooded. When I opened mine I was shocked to see that 2 inches all the way down one side was filthy with a long dirt stain and had significant water damage. It is shriveled and has some cracking. There are also random red marks all over the mat as if a 5 year old was playing with a red marker. Also randomly on both sides are big dirt stain blotches. Also the word "ProSource" is printed in white on the top (which is not mentioned in the description or shown in the picture) and there is discoloration to the writing. I think the company should disclose this information to the consumer. They should tell people they are buying something that is damaged/used/filthy. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a used mat that has been repackaged. I wanted a new clean mat.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't stand up to a single workout, April 6, 2012
Emily (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ProSource Premium High Density Exercise Yoga Mat with Comfort Foam and Carrying Straps (Sports)
I was really excited to get this mat for my yoga classes. A few of the moves that we perform hurt my knees and I was hoping that a thicker mat would help alleviate the pain.

This mat did help to provide the extra cushion needed for my knees, but it has made everything else more difficult. After 20 minutes of class, the mat starts to stretch and dents are created where my hands and feet are. It ends up feeling like I'm doing yoga on sand and even simple poses are more difficult.

The "new mat smell" is also a problem. I've had this mat for over a month now and I still smell like chemicals when I finish a class.

Overall, don't waste your money. If your knees hurt while working out, invest in a towel instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Yoga Mat!, November 2, 2011
This is a wonderful yoga mat especially for the price! I am impressed with the thickness of the mat; very comfortable! My boyfriend (who already owned his own mat) liked mine so much he ordered one for himself. I even have a hard time keeping my black lab (he has a bad hip) off of it; I may just have to order one for him too!
The carrying strap makes toting the mat around very convenient. I noticed when reading reviews for other brands of mats that a lot of people complained of a smell, these mats don't smell at all! Very pleased with the product and highly recommend it!

Rate and Discover Movies