Protect and Defend (The Mitch Rapp Series)
Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange
Price:$8.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 30, 2007
After "Act of Treason," which I found disappointing, I was concerned that Vince Flynn's newest offering might also fall short of his earlier Mitch Rapp novels. Fortunately, Vince Flynn is back in the saddle and has delivered yet another good book - not up to his best efforts, but good nonetheless.

I just love Mitch Rapp. He's a terrific character unburdened by PC constraints. The remarkable thing about Mitch Rapp is that this outrageously un-PC protagonist was conceived BEFORE 9-11!! Mitch Rapp was killing Islamic terrorists in at least three books before 9-11. While most of us were contentedly sitting back and enjoying our lives oblivious to the extremes to which Islam and its adherents would eventually take us Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp was fighting the good fight. To say that Vince Flynn was prescient would be an understatement.

In Flynn's previous novel, "Act of Treason" there were a few loose ends that needed to be wrapped up. "Protect and Defend" begins with the simultaneous resolution of those loose ends as well the present day conundrum of what to do with the Iranian nuclear capability. Flynn's writing style is engaging as always and draws the reader rapidly into the story line. If you like Jack Bauer from "24" you will love Mitch Rapp.

In "Protect and Defend" the indomitable Mitch Rapp is enlisted by CIA director Irene Kennedy to investigate the destruction of Iran's nuclear production facility. The usual intrigue ensues and Kennedy and Rapp end up traveling to Iran to defuse a geopolitical crisis. Kennedy is abducted, and in Rapp's indomitable manner she is rescued. Rapp, as is usual, is willing to do anything to protect his country and those with whom his loyalties lie.

Again, absolutely no sop to PC aficionados in this book or from this character who Flynn has developed over several books. I guess you could argue that Flynn's books and Rapp are somewhat predictable, but I don't care one iota.

The book is a relatively short read and the story moves at a rapid pace from beginning to end. Due to its brevity, you kind of get the idea that Flynn is once again mining the Rapp franchise for all it is worth, but in this case the book manages to deliver. While not quite as good as his earliest efforts it is a good read.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 13, 2007
This book begins in Iran. The United States and Israel are very concerned about Iran gaining nuclear power. With the crazy leadership in Iran the two countries feel a nuclear attack would be imminent. Israel
has a source working in the Isfahan Nuclear Facility. This inside source
who is also a Mossad agent has a plan to destroy the facility. The agent
sets off an explosion that utterly destroys the facility. There is a
nuclear and enviromental disaster left behind.
The Iranians are screaming bloody murder and blaming Israel and the
United States for the destruction of the nuclear facility. CIA director
Irene Kennedy and Iran's intelligence chief Azad Ashani agree to meet in Mosul Iraq and try to resolve their differences. Mitch Rapp accompanies
Kennedy to the meeting. Iran calls upon Hezbollah master terrorist Imad
Mukhtar to kidnap CIA ditector Irene Kennedy. After the kidnapping Iran sinks an Iranian ship and blames the United States. The two countries are perched on the edge of war. Mitch Rapp holds no barriers in his search
for Irene Kennedy.
This is an exciting book from beginning to end. Once again Vince Flynn
has written an outstanding book. Be sure to read it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 30, 2008
Vince Flynn delivers a powerful thrill ride once again. Great insight on Middle East politics, espionage, and terrorism. Mitch Rapp is at it again and he's badder than ever. I usually rip through a book in record time; however, Protect And Defend was worthy of a well paced read. I had to soak in every word.

One beef with the book: the ending was abrupt. It was as if Flynn was tired of writing and just wanted to wrap things up so he could move on to other things. This story called for a little more attention to the final chapters. Still, Protect And Defend is a must read.
VINE VOICEon November 5, 2007
Flynn has a great facility for writing political thrillers that are also rip-snorting action-adventures, featuring his signature Mitch Rapp character. He also has an uncanny knack for dealing with the hot topics of the day -- in this case a nuclear-armed Iran and torture -- which is quite a feat when you consider the lead time involved in writing and publishing a novel.

In "Protect and Defend", Flynn's pulled it off yet again, as these are two of the hottest topics on the political scene today.

This book moves like a runaway train, fast paced, exciting, and very involving for me; I enjoyed it very much.

The action is covered, from the Oval Office to the Supreme Council of Iran, to the gritty backstreets of Mosul in Iraq, to naval engagements in the Straight of Hormuz.

One of the great things about Flynn's books is that you're not just involved in the front-line action, taking place in a vaguely-defined crisis, but like in Tom Clancy's works you're reading about all the political decisions and ramifications right up to the top.

Rapp is also a delight, kind of a modern American James Bond, except more lethal and brutal, a character more suited to today's era than the created-in-the-50s Bond.

I read this book almost in one non-stop sitting. I really enjoyed it and always look forward to the new Flynn book.

Get it.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
A Vince Flynn novel is a very special thing. It is a very guy thing; but most especially, it is a very American thing. If you love your country, and you want to see it strong in the world - if you want to see the bad guys get theirs - Vince Flynn is definitely for you.

With `Protect & Defend', CIA Counterterrorism Specialist, Mitch Rapp (a type of American James Bond), is called upon by the President. After the destruction of Iran's nuclear facility, and their incessant blaming of the U.S. and Israel, the President, using a football analogy, is tired of playing defense. He wants to go on offense.

Unfortunately, there are more parties involved here than the U.S. government is aware, leading to a disastrous kidnapping of CIA director Irene Kennedy. This action was hard for me to swallow, as I personally can't see the terrorists sharp enough to pull off such a feat. However, once I began looking at Kennedy as Rapp's boss and friend, rather than as the CIA Director, the reality of is was easier to believe. It also pushed the truth of what the fight against terrorism entails - and how dearly the country needs more Mitch Rapps involved to lead that fight
on November 4, 2007
I finished this book in record time and man, did it feel rushed. It built up a bit of a backstory, but the ending just seemed to have no real thrill to it.

I don't know if Flynn rushed this out, but in comparing it to my HC of Executive Power, the fonts were double the size making the book seem even shorter.
on October 14, 2008
I stumbled upon this series by chance and I am definitely glad I did. I have enjoyed all of the books and eagerly awaited the latest installment. Upon reading just the little description of the plot, I couldn't wait to read the book. I took the opportunity of a long plane flight to read it and let me say that it certainly made the flight go by as if I was barely on the plane. Good action and great plot although I do wish there was a little bit more clean up at the end but all in all, I still can't wait for the next one to come out!
on December 4, 2007
An entertaining, predictable candy for the brain page turner. Nothing more - nothing less. If you're a fan you'll "like" it not "love" it.
on October 31, 2007
Vince Flynn returns to what he does best in Protect and Defend when he delivers an international pot boiler.

Last year's Act of Treason was a departure for Flynn when most of the action and intrigue took place on US soil. Something was missing. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I do now after completing Protect and Defend.

After he ties up some loose ends on the domestic front (in delicious fashion, I might add) the focus turns to Iran and their Nuclear program. Without giving too much away, Mitch Rapp is called in to clean up a mess that the US didn't make and in turn attempt to turn lemons into lemonade for our foreign policy.

Flynn's bread and butter has always been delving deep into the intricacies Middle East politics and Protect and Defend excels in that department. Not only was the story and action top notch but it was a real education into the workings of the Iranian government.

Protect and Defend is an A+ read.
on November 1, 2007
I just finished P&D on the plane from Portland, I must say it seemed much shorter than Vince's other works. While the editorial review mentions "the backstory full of loss..." it seemed to disappear rather quickly. I'm a huge fan of both Mitch Rapp and Vince Flynn, but it felt like this one was rushed, either by the author or the publisher.

It's a great read, full of adrenaline, and a great story but left me feeling a little short changed. A great book, just not one of Vince's best works.

I sincerely hope Vince isn't falling victim to the same affliction that dropped Patricia Cornwell from my "must read" list.