5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading for parents, suggested for others
Surprisingly, I'm almost finished reading this book, which I started last night. I picked it up on a whim because it was on the new releases shelf at the library. Honestly, I don't usually get far in such books, because they start getting into material that triggers flashbacks for me.
Published on August 9, 2002 by Cynthia L. Armistead

2.0 out of 5 stars TOO EXPLICIT
Published on July 31, 2005 by Sculptor

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading for parents, suggested for others, August 9, 2002
This review is from: Protecting Your Children From Sexual Predators (Hardcover)
So far, this one hasn't. There haven't been any terribly explicit descriptions of molestation, so I'm okay so far. And yes, I did know most of what's in here, but I found some of the statistics interesting. The step by step way the book follows one predator after another, pointing out the warning signs that should have tipped parents off to the dangers their children were in, is interesting. I think it could be very helpful to many parents.
I wasn't aware that children who have been abused in any way (sexually, physically, emotionally, verbally) are much more likely to be abused again, even by completely different people in a totally different setting. They're more vulnerable. The same goes for children who have experienced the loss of a parent due to death or divorce, or have otherwise been traumatized - predators seek out the most vulnerable kids as their preferred victims.
And, unfortunately, being the child of an abuse survivor greatly increases the probability that a child will be the victim of abuse. In some, but not cases, the abuse is the parent. But in more cases, the abuser is someone who sees the damaged boundaries of the abuse survivor and takes advantage of them to gain access to the child. That's definitely of direct interest to me as an abuse survivor.
I recommend this book to any parent, but especially those who are abuse survivors or whose children may be especially vulnerable due to other circumstances. Teachers, Scout leaders and others who work with children may also benefit from reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ!!!!, February 24, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Protecting Your Children From Sexual Predators (Hardcover)
After the press told the story of little Carlie Brucia, I believe this book should have been purchased by everyone. This book gives insight and teaches us caution not just for ourselves but for our children. this is a marvelous book.
I want to recommend to the reading audience a couple of other books, NNIGHTMARES ECHO, LOST BOY, SICKENED and BEAUTY FOR ASHES. Please read and learn what can happen to a child right under our noses and also make sure to read PROTECTING YOUR CHILDREN..so you will know some of what is needed to protect.

4.0 out of 5 stars must read, August 2, 2004
M. Gehring (Port Orchard, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Protecting Your Children From Sexual Predators (Hardcover)
As a nurse, i found this book to be an eye-opener. It is a must read for anyone with a child or who works with children or for anyone in general who has a concern. I found that I was quite taken by some of the chapters & found them quite informative. The information on how to identify sexual predators was most helpful. Those in medical, will fine this book most helpful, when dealing with questionable situations/settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Protecting our children, November 23, 2004
This review is from: Protecting Your Children From Sexual Predators (Hardcover)
The information in this book is very good. I worked in a several different male correctional facilities and have read many prisoner files on these types of crimes. She gives parents some good advise on what to look out for. I think all parents and anyone who works with children should read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disagree with "explicit" ...A well-written and important book, January 16, 2008
This review is from: Protecting Your Children From Sexual Predators (Hardcover)
After searching around for a good resource to become more educated about protecting my children from sexual predators, and after reading the reviews here on Amazon, I settled on this book. I am grateful. This is a thorough and well-written resource that covers virtually all issues of concern. To be honest, I was a bit worried about reading this book, seeing as I am particularly sensitive to explicit materials, and one of the reviewers said that she felt it was too explicit and that some of the descriptions verged on cheap dime store novels. Admittedly being the type of person who is occasionally offended - for instance - by some material like on the show Family Guy, I realize I am a little more on the sensitive side. But Dr. Baker's book is not overly-graphic; her book gives you the knowledge necessary to become informed. It is enough detail and for all the right reasons - for a greater and incredibly important purpose. I highly recommend this book and highly commend those individuals who are seeking to be better informed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Educate yourself, August 28, 2014
This review is from: Protecting Your Children From Sexual Predators (Hardcover)
I don't know why this book didn't get out there more. Was it the cover? I bought this book because after doing a lot of research for the chapter on sexual abuse for my book for teens, I wanted information on keeping my kids safer. I was so impressed that I contacted Dr. Leigh Baker about a peer review for the chapter in my book and wound up using some of her materiel. Dr Baker is a leader in the field, she is compassionate and clear. At the time of this writing the book is only for sale used. For such a small price, you'll gain a lot of information.

5.0 out of 5 stars oustanding book!!!, October 21, 2006
This review is from: Protecting Your Children From Sexual Predators (Hardcover)
i definitely recommend this book for all who want to know about the sad world of sex offenders....outstanding book for parents and even law enforcement....i really loved this book

2.0 out of 5 stars TOO EXPLICIT, July 31, 2005
Sculptor (Augusta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Protecting Your Children From Sexual Predators (Hardcover)
I purchased this book to give to my sons and daughter in laws so that they may have information to help protect my grand children from sexual predators. As I read the book I became quite concerned by the explicit and detailed descriptions of abuse. I feel that the author went considerably farther than necessary to make her point. Some of the descriptions verged on cheap dime store novels. I purchased the book because of one review that stated she was a victim of abuse and felt that the author did not go into great detail about the molestation cases. I think she is dead wrong. It is true that there is adequate information on how to identify a predator and protect your children, but one has to wade through and endure a lot of sleaze. I finally quit reading the case histories as they were presented. It was very painfull to read the explicit descriptions of what these children went through. I was never abused, but could empathize with their pain. I am returning the book to the dealer for a refund

Protecting Your Children From Sexual Predators
Protecting Your Children From Sexual Predators by Leigh Baker (Hardcover - April 17, 2002)
Used & New from: $0.01