Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on November 27, 2012
This is well worth the cost. I used it for my last Kindle when I accidentally got water in it. I called and there was absolutely no hassle in getting my replacement sent to me. When I explained that my husband was taking chemo and I relied on my Kindle to pass the time while I sat with him the customer service person on the other end of the line seemed to feel the same urgency that I did to get a replacement as quickly as possible.
on January 20, 2013
Issue has been with the registration process for the warranty purchased for $29.99. Received the registration link from SquareTrade and completed. First hint of an issue was when the Paperwhite was not listed as a Kindle option. Made the best choice as instructed on the screen. What followed was a second charge of $5.29 for a warranty that would only cover me to $50 total but no refund on or mention of the $29.99. Contacted them asking about the charge, what is it for, how it related to the original $29.99 charge with the better warranty terms. Responses where absolutely useless and included things like the breakout of sales tax on the $5.29 and an explanation regarding sales emails that I may have received. Since it didn't relate to anything I had asked, can't even tell you what it was about.

For frustration free experience, suggest you call SquareTrade if your product isn't explicitly named in their dropdowns. I am now attempting to cancel the $29.99 charge and warranty. Will have to buy a new Paperwhite if it breaks but far less aggravating than dealing with this.
22 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 17, 2013
I bought my last Kindle from Target when they still carried them. For $7, Target provided me with a 2-year full protection plan including accidental damage coverage, that took effect only after Amazon's warranty ran out- so effectively 3 years of coverage. This plan costs way more and covers far less. Disappointing, Amazon.
on January 30, 2013
I didn't know my Kindle is automatically insured for 1 yreas; wish the insurance I paid for could start when that year is finished !
on February 21, 2013
No questions asked, friendly service. My daughter punctured the screen very soon after I purchased and a replacement was on my doorstep in days. Even if you never need it, it's nice to know it's there.
on January 30, 2013
pleased with the fact that if anything happens to my kindle it is covered, i wasnt too happy waiting for the contract to be delivered. i had to get in touch with amazon to get it delivered, it was promised several weeks before it arrived,other than that i am glad i have it
on November 10, 2012
In view of the size of this Kindle there is a good chance that it will get dropped. This provides insurance for a replacement.
on January 16, 2013
My wife scratched the screen on her first kindle and we didn't have this so when she wanted a new one I made her get the warranty. Hopefully we won't have to use this but if we do I'll post an update on the process and adjust the star rating if necessary.
on September 7, 2013
Yesterday I did a boneheaded thing. I fell asleep on the couch while reading a book on my Kindle. The Kindle dropped to the carpeted floor. That isn't the boneheaded thing. Waking in the middle of the night and stepping on the Kindle on my way to the bedroom. THAT was boneheaded. The display was shattered and, while it lit up, no longer worked as a touch screen.

Since I was in the middle of a book, and since Amazon couldn't immediately deliver the new one I was going to buy to replace it, I swung by my local Fry's and bought another. While registering the new Kindle I saw the broken one in Manage your Kindle. I'd forgotten that I'd added Service Net's 2 year extended protection plan. I re-read the coverage details and, Surprise!!!, the plan covers accidents. The plan description even mentions stepping on the thing.

So, still dubious, I called the plan's toll free number. I'm put into a phone tree for about thirty seconds, at which point a very friendly guy named Jason answers at a US-based call center. He asks for the email address used on my Amazon account, then the exact name on the account. He waits very patiently while I fumble around for a minute to find the exact name I registered by Amazon account under. Then, the name of the Kindle. I tell him. He sees that it has a protection plan in place.

Then he asks "What's the problem with your Kindle?" "Well, actually, I stepped on it." "Oh, don't you hate that? Did the screen break? Touch screen doesn't work?" "Right." Then he says "No problem, I can have a replacement sent out immediately. You should have it in two days."

He told me that I had two options. If I agreed to let him secure the order with one of my credit cards on file with Amazon, he said the replacement out in advance. The card would only be charged if I didn't return the broken one within 30 days. I could use the packaging the replacement came in. He'd send me an email with a link to a postage-paid return label. Or I could send in the defective one and receive a replacement within two days of their receipt of it.

The credit card thing is standard on advance exchanges so I chose that option. Jason just asked me to confirm the last four digits and the expiration date on the card. Then he said "If you want to stay on the line another thirty seconds, I'll get the order placed and let you know when you'll receive the replacement. Still rather flabbergasted at the painlessness of the process, I waited the half-minute. Then our man Jason says "I'm sorry to say that, with the weekend, the new one won't be there 'til Tuesday. Is that OK?" This was late Friday night. "Yes. Tuesday's terrific!"

Now it's Saturday as I type this. I've obviously not received the replacement Kindle yet. (I'll update this review when the process is complete.) So far, however, this plan has been perfect and the process has been totally painless. No long wait on hold. No trying to communicate with someone in a third world call center. No need to find the plan number. They had that already. No need to find the serial number of my Kindle. They had that from the nickname I'd given it. And, best of all, no hassle at all for having stepped on the thing. The entire call lasted less than ten minutes and the rep was incredibly friendly.

I could not be happier.

Before I sat down to write this review, I took a look at the one and two-star reviews. There you'll read complaints that the plan is being misrepresented as a two-year plan when the Kindle comes with a one year warranty. None of the reviewers had actually purchased the coverage and, I guarantee you, none of them had stepped on their Kindles or dropped them in the bath. Service Net is very clear in the description of the plan that this is a two year extension to Amazon's one year manufacturer's warranty. I find the pricing for both the 3G and non-3G versions of the plan incredibly cheap. Really: I STEPPED ON MY KINDLE. BROKE THE CRAP OUT OF IT. THEY'RE REPLACING IT, IN ADVANCE, FOR NO CHARGE! Not even for shipping. This was a GREAT purchase! I highly recommend you add it to any new Kindle purchase.
on February 26, 2014
I bought that extra-coverage a little after the purchase of the Kindle Paperwhite, more as insurance against bad luck than a rationale need of extra coverage (I am used to keep my electronic stuff almost as mint stage...)
However bad luck knocked at Kindle screen and few pixels bursted after a while.
Amazon service was very professional in assessing with me the issue and in sending a replace immediately after, without waiting to get the original item back to their warehouses.
5 star experience: well done Amazon !!!