1,012 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 Easy Steps For a Perfect Installation
Trying to free-hand this installation is nearly impossible to accomplish perfectly, but here are 4 steps to get a flawless install:

1. Before you remove the backing labeled "back" (number 2) from the screen protector, line it up perfectly on the phone and tape one of the long sides of the protector down to the phone using 2-3 small strips of scotch tape...
Published 23 months ago by A. Wallace

3.0 out of 5 stars Extremely frustrating!!
Published 23 months ago by Mai Heart

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 Easy Steps For a Perfect Installation, September 28, 2012
This review is from: SPIGEN SGP iPhone 5 Screen Protector Clear Steinheil Ultra Crystal [2-Pack] film cover shield for AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, International - CLEAR (Wireless Phone Accessory)

2. Once taped, lift the screen protector off the phone and the taped side will act as a hinge. This will keep the screen in perfect alignment while you clean the screen of fingerprints and lint.

3. Once cleaned, remove the backing (labeled "back" or 2) on the protector and let it lay down into place. Before removing the front backing, use a cotton, non-abrasive cloth to rub it down to assure good adhesion to the phone.

4. Now carefully peel off the front backing (labeled "front" or 1). The tape applied earlier to hold the screen protector in place will peel off with the backing.

Voila! You have a PERFECTLY aligned screen protector.

Additional Tips:

A. Forget the squeegee. Just use a soft cotton t-shirt or something else that is non-abrasive and rub out the bubbles. Whatever you do, do not use your fingernails (even with a cloth), this will just scratch the screen.

B. To remove trapped lint, take another piece of scotch tape and stick it to the screen on a corner nearest to the lint and lift. It makes lifting the protector from the screen without damaging it a simple task. Next, use one of the provided lint stickers to remove the lint. Generally the lint will remain adhered to the screen protector, not the phone, so slide the sticker sticky-side up between the protector and the phone and lay the protector back down on the sticker to remove the lint.

***Disclaimer*** You will see very polarized reviews on this product. It seems people either love it or hate it. The reason is because most who hate it have been confused about the installation process, and it is evident by their complaints of poor adhesion to the phone, or bubbles everywhere. This is almost always the result of a BACKWARD installation!

There is a front and back to this screen protector, and it is impossible to discern which side is which without the labels. Unfortunately, Spigen has provided labels that seem to confuse more than they clarify. Do not peel off 1 and apply it to the phone's screen, it is intended to face front and is clearly labeled "front". Instead, peel off 2 and apply it to the phone's screen. It is the back and is clearly labeled "back".

Spigen should correct the numbers so their sequence corresponds with the installation process, but until then READ THE LABELS and THINK! Front faces you, and back faces the phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid screen protector, September 22, 2012
yukihiro (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is the 3rd time I've bought a screen protector from SGP (now Spigen SGP). When ordering a screen protector for my iPhone 5 (pre-order), I wanted to buy from a company that I trusted to deliver a good product.

The iPhone 5 Oleophobic screen protector is pretty clear, not ultra clear since it does have some anti-fingerprint coating to it but it's pretty good. I actually meant to buy the Ultra Crystal version, but I must have brain farted when I placed the order. I didn't really mind though, and now that I have the screen protector on my phone I'm happy with it. SGP does use a dry application (not wet like other companies), but I personally prefer the dry application types. It's easy to take off and readjust. I've applied different types of screen protectors and dry application is my favorite. SGP really improved their screen protector in the past 2 years.

SIDE NOTE ABOUT PREVIOUS EXPERIENCES
I had both the SGP anti-fingerprint and SGP ultra clear screen protectors for my Droid 2 Global. Both of these were just okay. The cut was a bit too small but manageable. Also, the material they used messed with the Droid 2 Global's light sensor. The anti-fingerprint version was a bit too blurry, which is why I ended up buying the ultra clear version later on. I liked the clear version much better, but it still messed with my light sensor.
END SIDE NOTE

The new Oleophobic screen protector is actually sort of a middle ground between SGP's old anti-fingerprint and ultra clear protectors. It's MUCH clearer than the old anti-fingerprint but it still has some anti-fingerprint qualities. The cut is a lot better on the iPhone 5 than the Droid 2 Global; it fits closer to the edges. AND the best part, it doesn't mess with the light sensor on the phone.

Overall, SPIGEN SGP really improved their protectors and delivered an excellent product this time around for the iPhone 5. I can't find a reason to knock off a star. It comes with 2 protectors in the package. Usually after a year when the 1st one gets a little scratched up, I'll replace it with the 2nd one. So convenient in my opinion. I give it 5 stars, but I realize that some people will prefer other screen protectors for different reasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and shiny. Love it!, October 4, 2012
EsCee (Virginia USA) - See all my reviews
This is a very nice screen protector. Even though it is not the anti-glare product, it does not have that much glare at all, which is nice. I used to have the anti-glare protector on my old iPhones. They did their jobs but the problem was that they reduced the image quality of the iPhone. The UO is pretty much clear as glass allowing the iPhone to be seen pretty much as it was meant to be. The plastic is actually quite hard and oil resistant. I've been playing games with my phone daily and have not noticed any scratches. Smudges are easily wiped off with soft cloths.

I did have some problem with installing the first one (mine). The second one was within 2 tries. It was just me having a hard time lining things up. Once applied, the bubbles could be squeegeed out easily.

I notice people complaining about screen protectors attracting dust. My trick is to put them on in a dust-free environment - my bathroom.

I simply steam up my bathroom by turning on hot shower. Wait until the bathroom is full of steam and turn off the water. Once the steam dies down, the dust in the air will be carried down to the floor by the moisture. Now, you have a temporarily dust free environment to install your screen protectors. This is an old trick I learned when I was still developing negatives. :-)

Still, be careful when you enter the bathroom since you will be introducing more dust at that time.

Update: 10/8/2012
When I originally applied the screen protector on my phone, I was having a hard time lining it up so I got 3 small bubbles formed due to dust. This past week, I decided to use the dust lifter that came with the screen protector to try and get rid of the dust. It went great. After 2 weeks, I could still lift up the protector, got rid of the dust, and re-applied it. Now all the bubbles are gone. :-D

4.0 out of 5 stars good screen protector, October 12, 2012
First off, this screen protector is fairly easy to put on. It was one of the easiest I've done. This is not a 'waste of money', the key is to be in an environment as dust free as possible. How is it the products fault there is dust in the air? I applied mine in the bathroom shortly after taking a hot shower. The moist air will help reduce dust in the air. I peeled back about 1/4 of the backing, got it adhered just past the earpiece and then placed the squeegee onto the protector, trying to keep it as close as possible to the backing I'm peeling away. Zero dust, hair, etc. under my protector.

I usually go with anit-fingerprint protectors but with this being my first iPhone, I didn't want that haze you typically get with said type of protectors over this nice screen. I hate fingerprints on my screen so I went with this oelophobic one. At first, it seemed it was no different than a regular protector and was going to give it a 3 star rating. But, while comparing my case to a friend's case on his iPhone he said, "Man, you must have fingers less oily than mine." There was a noticeable difference. It is oil resistant, not oil proof. Overall I'm satisfied.

3.0 out of 5 stars Extremely frustrating!!, October 3, 2012
The Screen protector is very good quality. However, it is near impossible to apply this onto the phone without any mistakes. The instructions are confusing and tell you to apply the top half of the screen protector first then let the rest follow...do NOT listen to these instructions because it will not align with the home key. Instead, work from the bottom and make sure the home key is aligned first.

After finally figuring this out, my film was filled with dust and air bubbles. If you are a perfectionist, do not get this unless you want to look at air bubbles every time you look at your iPhone :( gahhh!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding matte screen protector, November 25, 2012
Okay, if you are looking for a matte finish screen protector for iPhone 5 (or I suppose 4 or 4s), let me help you out.

Let me start by saying I have applied a LOT of screen protectors over the years, way back from Handspring Visor to Sony Clie to Palm TX to iPod nanos and Touches, as well as digital camera screens. The protectors get better with time. The clear gloss ones are a pain in the butt to get the bubbles out.

I like the matte finish as it really decreases fingerprints and helps screen visibility. You may lose some resolution, but only slightly. So here goes.

This Spigen Ultra-Fine "anti-fingerprint" screen protector for iPhone 5 is AWESOME. I had just purchased a Belkin matte screen protector to try it out for the past week. Compared to this new Spigen, the Belkin one makes the screen less clear and more slightly yellow, and actually is not that smooth of surface. Of note, I am using a Speck Candyshell case and both screen protectors fit fine inside the top surface, without bubbling. (if it does bubble any, you can push them out with a soft shirt/squeegee card/etc., toward the outer edge)

This Spigen protector is super-smooth to run your finger across. When you feel it you'll know. The cutouts line up perfectly with the screen camera, ear speaker, and home button. The clarity is very good, and it cleans off easily. Prior to this, on 2 previous iPod Touch models I used the Power Support Anti-Glare HD screen protector from the Apple store, and it is awesome as well. I used each one for 2 years and they hardly look used at all.

Comparing the PowerSupport next to me with this new Spigen, the PowerSupport film is slightly smoother/glassier feel, but it has been in use x 2 years. Both are smooth, decrease glare, and have great light transmittance and resolution.

INSTALL HELP:
Okay, I was nervous taking the Belkin screen film off since I had it perfectly aligned, no bubbles, no dust under it. But I bit the bullet, and am GLAD I changed to the Spigen.

The first install attempt with the Spigen I started from the top edge. I only peeled back about 1/3 of the back film, lined up the top edge, and then squeegee out the bubbles as I unpeel it, applying it down the front. Well, at the bottom the home button cutout ended up crooked. Darn it!

So, what I did is get a small piece of Scotch tape, stick it on the corner of the screen protector, and carefully peeled it up (that is the easiest way to get a grip on it). Then at the top I slightly adjusted it, then did the apply/squeege combo motion again. This lined up just right, but I had 2 pc. of dust under it!

So then, I got a new piece of Scotch tape, and lightly touched it (sticky side) against the spots on the back of the screen protector to grab those dust specks. It worked great, and now it's on, and it looks and FEELS awesome. I'm so glad I put it on.

SO THEN, in SUMMARY:
This Spigen, and the Power Support HD anti-glare, are excellent screen protectors. They transmit light well, block glare, clean easily, and are very smooth and responsive to the touch. I realize they are a little more expensive, but you get 2 of them - and you never have to replace it. Get it set up, and you are done.

Of note, they do a great job protecting the screen, but a hot object hit my ipod screen (an ejected shell casing) and left a nick because it melted the screen protector - but no damage to the glass.

Sorry for long review, but I wanted to make it "crystal clear" (actually matte clear) as to why this is a great screen protector as well as how to help you apply it perfectly. This is 100% recommended. I have no affiliation with the company either, just a satisfied customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revised version is perfect fit!, September 21, 2012
I actually received mine few days ago over the weekend and was happy with such fast shipping, but anxious as well because I didnt know if it would fit. Initially, the screen protector looked like it would fit after comparing it to the leaked photos. I didn't want to leave my iPhone unprotected when I get them so that's why I preordered. And then yesterday, I received another shipment from Spigen and when I opened it up, they sent out a revised version to me. I opened it up and lined it up with the older version and the cutouts are a little bit different. So as soon as I got my iPhone 5 (YES!), for installation practice, I put on the old one and yes, the cutouts are a bit off, but only by few millimeters. But since I'm a perfectionist, I took it off and put on the new one they sent me and it fits perfectly! I love it! And it's really clear and it doesn't make my beautiful new screen look less brighter or grainy. The screen protector goes from edge to edge and the cutouts are absolutely perfect. Thank you Spigen for your excellent customer service and making my day!

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, October 7, 2013
Will not install without bubbles. I consider myself very skilled at applying screen protectors, and this one was by far the worst. AND the screen protector itself has a sticky film that picks up dirt and lint. YUCK! Within 2 minutes of applying the first one, it had scratches just from using the supplied squeegee to remove bubbles, thought maybe a fluke, but it wasn't, now on the second and thought maybe the bubbles would work out after a few days, but bubbles remain to no avail. Makes my brand new phone look filthy! DO NOT PURCHASE!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as other SGP Products, November 15, 2012
Ich (Westfalen) - See all my reviews
I bought the "AntiGlare" product because of the combination of anti-fingerprint and antiglare qualities - but it's not what I expected. It is neither anti-fingerprint nor anti glare - it's something in between but with the bad qualities from both. The "glare" part prevents cleaning the screen from the fingerprints so that there is no real "anti-fingerprint" anymore - the anti-fingerprint part prevents a clear optic- instead of clear optics you see the "little grid" in front of the screen. I would send it back - but unfortunately from Germany the shipping is dearer than the product itself. I do not recommend this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Clear!, September 22, 2012
Brad "Brad" (NC, United States) - See all my reviews
I love this screen protector! I had ordered this about a week ago here on Amazon and received them with plenty of time before the iPhone 5 launch date. When I got my iPhone 5 delivered on Friday morning (yes, morning :) ), I put the phone in a case and then proceeded to install the screen protector on the iPhone 5. You have to be careful in installing the protector because it can become out of line easily. The original product that I ordered is on my iPhone right now and I can honestly say that I barely notice it. It's almost as if I don't have a screen protector on it at all!

Also, I should note that Spigen sent out a replacement to fix alignment issues. I'm not sure as to the differences between the original and the replacement but the original looks just fine in my opinion. I guess they wanted to be sure that everything is extremely perfect. Overall, this screen protector is VERY clear and it will protect my screen for quite some time. :)

Also note that when you put the screen protector on, peel off the "back" side first and place that side against the screen. Some may be confused about this.

Rate and Discover Movies