Most helpful critical review
127 of 135 people found the following review helpful
Exceptionally poorly designed and frighteningly unsafe
on June 25, 2014
All three region's plugs are spring loaded on the same side of the device. They are all connected. The American plugs remain exposed when the British plugs are in use (and vice versa). The plugs do not retract completely so they can make contact while the other plug in in use.
I stayed in a flat in Britain that had metal faceplate on the electrical outlets. When I plugged this converter in, the American plug made contact with the metal. Sparks shot out. A major burn mark was left on the wall and some of the metal wall plate had either melted or been electrolyzed away. The same happened to the prong of the American plug. It blew all of the circuit breakers, not just for my flat, but for the whole building.
I had two of these devices. One day I went to unplug the second. As I did, my hand gently brushed the unlock button for the American plug. It snapped out with spring loaded power and made contact with my little finger. A powerful shock went through my body, I shrieked like a little girl and the muscles in my arm contracted, throwing the plug across the room.
The fact that the plug of one region can be plugged in and the other regions plugs are not insulated or protected well makes this converter quite dangerous. I have ended up using electrical tape to ensure no further contacts from plugs that are not in use.
In addition, the plugs are very finicky. The plug must be jiggled and repositioned to receive current. I have found that if I don't quite push it in all the way, the device actually works. They are not quite defective, but I thought they were at first.