5.0 out of 5 stars Eades and Eades have changed my life ---- forever!
Dec 2008: I just came across this review and reread it. It is 8 years later and it is still all true. I have had to fight with my weight (I absolutely love to eat) and have had to remind myself that calories count as well. The news is that even after 8 years my glucose tests (A1C blood test) come back excellent, my cholesterol is still at the same levels and my weight...
Published on July 25, 2000 by Larry E.

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed blessing
My review of the protein power plan is somewhat mixed. Since I began this diet about two years ago, I've gone from being 285 pounds to my current weight of 185 pounds. As long as I stay on the diet, I have been able to keep the 100 pounds off. My lapses have always been associated with out-of-town visits, and have never been longer than about 10 days. Because I have...
Published on January 29, 2002

‹ Previous | 16 7 857 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best easy-to-read way to understand your metabolism, October 28, 1999
Gabe (Bloomingdale, IL, USA) - See all my reviews
I have read Protein Power and decided to follow the author's nutritional program because a high cholesterol/triglycerides problem, which did not improved after trying a low fat/high carbohydrate diet (just because was recommended by my doctor). Personally, I have lost 12 kg (26 pounds) in only 2 months and my muscles have reshaped a gread deal. Although I still have another 8 kg to go before I enter Phase II, I am very motivated by the results, my improved health and my new way to choose my food. As a biocmemist, I can tell that the book is clear (easy to understand for a non scientist), to the point, encouraging and most of all, based on solid scientific research which can be reviewed and discussed on any forum. The book and the program are simply great! I would recommend to combine what you learn from it with a good low-carb cook book and enjoy your favorite food, in the healthiest way!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hocus Pocus - revised (from 3 stars to 4.5), January 9, 2002
Chemiker (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Eades and Eades construct a believable and convincing story by the effective use of techno-speak to argue that their low carbohydrate diet can help everyone by lowering bad cholesterol, lowering blood pressure, raising stamina, etc. Their diet is a veritable health panacea! The authors' support for their suppositions, which are completely contrary to all main-stream dietary advice, is anecdotal or based on the observations in their own clinics. The authors tout 'clinical studies' of carbohydrate restricted diets but none, to date, have attempted to follow Eades' rigorous dietary guidelines. In other words, there's no statistically based scientific evidence (that I'm aware of) to support the authors' claims. If scientific studies are eventually performed to evaluate their diet and support the Eades limited results, then you can bet the popular media will pick up on it and there will be plenty of mainstream discussion.... (There have been many clinical studies on diets, including low carbohydrate diets, but the results relevant to 'Protein Power' are inconclusive and in general contradict the authors' claims.) After reviewing the dietary guidelines in the book it becomes immediately apparent that by limiting carbohydrates to the extent suggested and limiting protein according to the authors guidelines, one would be forced to significantly cut calories compared to an average diet. And, cutting calories and exercising is the only way to loose weight - no mystery there!
New Comment Added Six Months Later: It's unfortunate that inadequate attention and funding has been given to properly research the low-carbohydrate diet. If the touted benefits of the draconian high-carbohydrate low-fat diet were real, Americans wouldn't be facing a `fatness epidemic'. Given the lack of data in this area I tried the diet myself in the spirit of experimentation, and I'm delighted to report that the outcome was positively spectacular! By all standards my entire lipid profile is dramatically improved, and I lost unneeded pounds with minimal effort. Essentially, my personal experience echoes the Eades' claims. If the (at least short-term) benefits of a low carbohydrate diet prove generally useful for most people the current national nutritional establishment will be eating crow with their carbohydrates! IF ALL ELSE HAS FAILED YOU, TRY THE LOW CARB DIET.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's all about the science., February 5, 2010
My wife tried many diets but until reading books in the low carb category (and Protein Power is her favorite) she hadn't realized that a "diet" was not the answer. The Drs. Eades advice is informative and not the abrasive, inflexible style of Atkins. For the first time my wife began asking me about the low carbohydrate science versus all the anecdotes and advertisements she heard all her life concerning what wholesome food is. There are many claims by those who benefit financially with a diet program that they claim is proven effective in a clinical trial or study. Very few of the claims would survive a standard peer review. The bottom line is body chemistry and science, not anecdotes and starving. Nor is it simply calories.

The most difficult part of lowering your carbohydrate intake is the cultural change and the will power to do it. Other than the books we bought, there is no vested interest for anyone to take our money for a weight loss program. It's free. Sure, we treat ourselves with a few carbs here and there but it's only a treat. Weight loss is not the only reason for a low carb regime. Based on the improving results of my physicals during the first ten years of low carb, it is just simply healthier. We just follow the science, buy different groceries, we tend to want to eat less, LDL has dropped significantly, and blood pressure is great. It is a life-long commitment to a lifestyle. It's not a "diet" to be used occasionally to shed a few pounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most intelligent nutritional approach yet., October 7, 1999
By A Customer
This is the first break through for my family in the "stop the weight gain" struggle we have all experienced. We all work out , exercise regularly and have been on the "low-fat Pyramid" for years while steadily gaining weight. Since we started on the Protein Power Plan, June 1, My husband has lost 13 lbs, and several inches, and I have lost 9 lbs. and several inches. Neither of us were extremely overweight but were still in a continual battle. The best news was our internist took my husband off his blood pressure medication and in time may lower his cholesterol medication as well. His lipid counts are much lower, very encouraging to us both. We ate, and still do, considerably more fresh fruit and larger lunch salads than the book recommends, but did not experience any lightheadedness nor constipation at any time. Both our daughters are on this plan as are a number of our friends and our sisters. We all have genetic histories that this book profiles and we decided to break the pattern. This book is much more sensible than the Atkins diet, and much easier to stick with. I'm sorry that the media lumps them together. Thanks to the Eades,we feel better than we ever did. Also noticed that our tennis is improving, we can move much better around the court!

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Thumbs WAAAAAY Up!!, February 29, 2008
NorwichGrad (Northeast Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
2000 years ago man thought Earth was the center of the universe. 400 years ago the world was flat; some people who questioned this wisdom were even burned at the stake for heresy. Before the beginning of 19th century engineers thought man would "disintegrate" if he exceeded 100 mph, hence train speed was limited on purpose. Just 20 years ago "high-carb" diets were supposed to help people improve their well-being. Well, we know the disastrous epidemic the high-carb diet did to our Nation - 60% overweight! We Americans are so fat that the western hemisphere created a planetary imbalance, skewing the earth's rotation about its axis. So there, forget global warming. The world's climate has drastically changed because we are literally heavy on this side of the globe. How's that for a theory, Al Gore?? All kidding aside, what I'm getting at is that you should approach this book (as well as life in general) with an open mind.

I am a hardcore bodybuilder, and yes, I have been on the high-fat, high protein, low carb diet for a while now. If there is anything that the sedentary general population can learn from us bodybuilders, it is that we are vain, and we love to look at ourselves in the mirror. But more significantly, we are experts at building muscle and losing fat. Many bodybuilders may not have the credentials on paper with those fancy letters, such as a BS, an ABC, an MD or a PhD. But trust me, we know fat loss. And I am here to tell you that "Protein Power" works.

The reason I bought this book is that I wanted to understand the "why's." I already know "low-carb" works; I just wanted to know for myself the scientific reasons behind it. The doctors go in great detail explaining why and how. The science behind the "low-carb" concept is explained in a level that 8th graders can understand. The doctors did an excellent job. In addition to the easy-to-understand format, but well-researched and scientific findings the book outlines, I love the fact that the doctors were kind enough to include a recipe section. Yummy!!

Chances are if you are reading this section in Amazon, it is because you wish to lose weight. In closing, I'd like to offer the following:

There are four pillars to losing weight. They are: a) your mind; b) weight training; c) cardio exercise; and, d) nutrition.

a) Your mind. You have to believe that you can do it. Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right. There are no magic pills that you can take and melt the fat off when you wake up the next day. YOU HAVE TO WORK HARD!! And don't blame genetics. Take accountability for your own lifestyle. Once you understand and accept this, you are on your way to losing fat.

b) Weight training. You should consider adding weight training to your regimen. You want to keep and / or add muscles. Muscles burn fat due to increased metabolic rate. You don't want to "lose weight" by losing both fat and muscle. That's another thing. You should focus on "fat loss" and not "weight loss." I'm not saying you should be a bodybuilder, all I am saying is that weight training is an effective fat burner. Get yourself an Accu-Measure caliper (also sold at Amazon for $20) so you can measure fat loss on a weekly basis.

c) Cardio. You will lose fat if you create a calorie deficit. You can do this in two ways. You can either burn the calories by doing cardio, OR you can consume less calories by eating less food. BUT, and here is a big BUTT (pun intended), the best way to burn fat is eat a little less AND exercise more.

You can certainly lose weight just by consuming less calories without exercising, but you will be a "skinny fat person." You know, those dudes with a low body weight, but little if any muscle, and the last 15 pounds of stubborn fat is left defiantly clinging to their hips and butt.

d) Nutrition. Read "Protein Power." This is perhaps the only fat loss book you will ever need.

I wish you the best of luck in your quest to have a leaner, meaner physique. HOOAH! (It's an Army thing.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Kudos to the Protein Power Diet Plan, October 13, 2000
GridUser "griduser" (Bettendorf, Iowa USA) - See all my reviews
I've read Dr. Atkin's book, I've read the Carbohydrate Addict (which is also good), and I've read Protein Power. No book really got to me, intellectually, until Protein Power, though. Even though I have been on a low carb diet plan for over 5 years now, I had always been a bit skeptical about some of the pseudo-science (even a bit of hyperbole) that I found in some of the low carb diet books. In their quest to engage and convince readers of the benefits of a low carb diet, I felt that some of the books exaggerated claims of the benefits, without good scientific evidence. As a pharmacist, I needed to have more proof, especially about the contention that a low carb diet can lower serum cholesterol levels. I did a Medline literature search re: the authors' contention that high blood sugar levels raise serum cholesterol. After a lot of digging, I found several articles in refereed medical journals to support this claim. I think that each of the clinicians who are making broad health claims about the safety & efficacy of a low carb diet should include a bibliography to support each claim with scientific proof. It is the only way the low carb diet plans will be able to escape the realm of "fad" and be accepted by more mainstream scientists and nutritionists.
That said, even the Protein Power book touts what I consider "unsupported science". I cringed at some of the claims made for "micronutrients", for example. The archeo-medical information was intriguing, and more support on this would also be appreciated.
In all, this book will appeal more to people, like me, who come at things from a more scientific angle. There is somewhat less hyperbole than I found in the other diet books, and the metaphors of the thermostat in the closet, and Hercules fighting Medusa were excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed My Life !!!, February 14, 2010
This book changed my life ! I followed it without straying for two months without working out and the weight really came off. Then i leveled off, but started to lift weights and run three days a week and started losing extremely fast again. I started in April 2009 at 310 lbs, by the end of August 2009 i was 235 . . . simply amazing !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 20 pounds off in 16 weeks, April 4, 2002
By A Customer
Not only did I lose weight, but I learned WHY I had gained 20 pounds in less than 2 years on a low fat diet. All those dry bagels, no-fat pretzels, carrot sticks - I was pumping my insulin up, not my glucogen. I eat steaks, salmon, salads, nuts, cheese - the trick is to watch those carbohydrates at each meal, but it can be done. The book is very descriptive on how-to, includes menus, etc. They have discovered since it was printed that you should also take 400 mg of pottasium and 400 of magnesium daily; other than that, you'll get educated - more than just told to exercise and eat such and such. Truly an eye opener of information on health through diet.

4.0 out of 5 stars good introduction to the benefits of a high-protein diet, June 15, 2002
Carol C. "ccjello" (Kansas City, MO USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The high-protein, low-carb diet outlined in this book is reasonable and doable, not nearly as restrictive as the diet outlined in Atkins' book. This diet will work for you if your idea of a good meal revolves around a steak or a lambchop, but if you like fruits & starchy veggies, you'll be out of luck. A single banana will put you over the carbohydrate limit for the day. I did it for six weeks and lost several pounds, but I felt like all the cheese & meat made my skin break out & I craved sweets. I have tried to stick with the principles, though, filling up on protein first, and I'm keeping the weight off. If you're choosing between this & Dr. Atkins' book, I would recommend this. The plan is more reasonable & unlike Atkins' book, it is not one huge self-promoting infomercial.

4.0 out of 5 stars proteinpower, February 16, 2002
theresa (massachusetts) - See all my reviews
I have a daughter who is now 11 and has been on a low carb diet all her life she regularly spills ketones (slight) and she is well hydrated. The biggest test of anything is your own experience. Watching her has given us all the info we need. In reply to the review that said you brain needs glucose, well to be exact your brain needs ATP chemical energy packets created through the breakdown of foodstuffs. Protien and Fat breakdown make ATP. Her diet is 70 -80 percent protein and fat. She is normal weight and intelligence, not to mention outliving the prognosis she was given which was to die within the first year of her life because she was born with a rare mitochondrial disease (missing enzyme in the organelles that breakdown food) I have recently fell symptomatic with this disease and have read this book out of interest and for some new ideas. After 1 month I lost 10 pounds and feel so much better and more alert and awake. As a ICU nurse with extensive knowledge about ketosis and problems with kidney functions, I feel that with a physicians guidance and proper food selections as well as good kidney function and not a type I diabetic this plan can be right for you. Lets face it any knowledge of history will tell you their was no New York bagels or dunkin donuts! Diets were high in meat and nuts and berries, while they died much earlier from accidents injuries and treatable illnesses, problems associated with obesity were not the leading causes as today. American Indians thrived on diets that were more balanced with much higher portions of fats and protiens. We are the fattest people in the world for a reason look around at food choices mostly, mainly carbs! Pure foods green leafy vegetable fish eggs nuts cheese meats berries are the lowest carb choices and nutrient dense. Not processed not preservatives.

‹ Previous | 16 7 857 | Next ›

Protein Power: The High Protein/Low Carbohydrate Way to Lose Weight, Feel Fit and Boost Your Health
Used & New from: $0.01