Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

on July 25, 2000
Dec 2008: I just came across this review and reread it. It is 8 years later and it is still all true. I have had to fight with my weight (I absolutely love to eat) and have had to remind myself that calories count as well. The news is that even after 8 years my glucose tests (A1C blood test) come back excellent, my cholesterol is still at the same levels and my weight is not quite as great as 8 years ago but it is still way better than 220 (I am at 180). I owe the continued improvement in my health to the premises in this book.

July 2000: The past ten years have been hell. I had high cholesterol, high triglycerides and Diabetes, Type II. I was totally unable to get my weight to a reasonable level. I was dieting, exercising, riding a bike 5 days a week, and doing everything I was told, but my weight hit a wall at 224 pounds.

I discovered Protein Power, read it and gave it a try. In only 8 weeks I had lost inches from my waist and dropped 20 pounds. Today, after 1.5 years I am in the best health of my life, I weigh 170 lbs, I have stopped taking the Lipator. My blood tests show that my cholesterol, triglycerides and sugar levels are all perfect.

The results are exactly what the authors predicted - control the Insulin enemy through diet and the body will clean itself up and function properly. They presented me an easy to understand explanation of what happens inside my body and how to control it. They gave me a life style and eating regimen I can maintain the rest of my life. My advice to you is buy it, try it and live longer and better with it. It is simple!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 24, 1999
I am an Engineering Manager working for a well known measurement company. As such, I have access to blood chemistry measurement equipment and I've used it to document results.
I've used this approach to eating for 18 months and I'd like to share the measured results. I am 49 years old and I am 6'4" tall. My weight has gone from 260 to 208. My blood pressure has dropped from 140/90 to 106/60. My Total Cholesterol has dropped from 217 to 174; my LDL is 127 mg/dl, my HDL is 50 mg/dl and my triglycerides are down to 78 mg/dl. These are all within healthy ranges. For those who believe that this way of eating is unhealthy I ask, what else should I measure?
Try this out; it may save your life!
on April 21, 2003
I have lost 50 pounds on this diet over a year and I feel simply amazing. My serum cholesterol/lipid levels are incredible. (LDL: 89, triglycerides: 84, down more than a hundred points from the days when I ate high-carb, whole grain and low protein.)
I cannot adequately emphasize how thoroughly it has changed my life and my health for the better.
Major myths about this plan and low carb eating in general:
-It is not true that you will overload your kidneys and liver and get stinky breath.
-It is not true that it is "just like Atkins" (it departs from Atkins on many significant points--the most obvious of which is that there is no induction of ketosis. Ketosis, although not considered a danger to someone with healthy kidneys, is totally irrelevant. Carb intake is not quite as restrictive as on Atkins.)
-This is not a "diet" so much as a sustainable and healthy nutritional approach.
-It is not a "fad diet." People have been eating low carb for CENTURIES. (How odd that these cultures which eat low carb tend to be healthier and have less CVD than those who do not, hmm?)
-Eating low carb does not mean you sit around noshing on bacon, meat, cheese and pork rinds all day. (The only difference between the way I eat and the way the standard American eats: my plate does not have french fries soaked in trans fats and a piece of bread around my burger. If I should choose to eat a burger, I will have a whopping side of healthy vegetables and nuts and I will *not* chase it with carbonated sugar-water.)
-People who eat low carb are not necessarily constipated all the time (on this plan fiber is theoretically unlimited. With all the veggies, fruits and nuts, etc. I venture that low carb people eat MORE fiber than most.)
-Eating low carb does not mean you automatically eat more fat.
-Even if your fat intake goes up, as long as it is healthy fat, it is not that big a deal because dietary fat is not the boogeyman they wanted us to believe in the 80s and 90s--sugar is! Eating fat does not make you fat.
-Eating low carb will not make you feel weak and dizzy all the time. (If you feel weak and ill during the early phases, be sure to re-read the chapter on potassium. Many people get discouraged because as the body begins to flush, potassium is flushed along with a lot of "water weight" and they complain of weakness or dizziness that may or may not go away after they settle into the plan. Adding a supplement or potassium-based salt substitute will often cure the problem!)
-The weight one loses on this plan over time is *NOT* all water weight. I am now 50 lbs lighter than I was when I started. I guarantee that was not 50 lbs of water.
-This plan does not work solely because it is calorie restrictive and for no other reason. (I tried calorie restriction for years--it never worked. All calories are not created equal--calories from various sources will make your body respond differently physiologically as they are burned. If I try a calorie restrictive approach, I have to eat fewer than 1000 calories in order to lose. On this way of eating, I can eat up to 3000 and still lose.)
-This way of eating will not necessarily raise your serum cholesterol-more often than not, it LOWERS LDL and raises HDL.
-This is not a "High Protein Diet." The figures in this book for minimal protein intake are not that far from standard RDA recommendations! However, this book does emphasize ADEQUATE protein as necessary for maintaining physical health and for losing weight.
People (especially doctors) who crusade against low carb eating have a reality check in the mail. For what its worth, my doctor is now on the Protein power plan herself. She was nervous at first, but is now one of its most outspoken defenders.
I am so grateful for this book.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 17, 2000
Well the Eades' have put a lot of things out there that many drs do not condone. But the bottom line is, it works. It works for many many people. Just like we do not all respond to the same anti-biotic, we do not all respond to the same diet.

I read Molly's review too. I also checked her history. She has added a blasting opinion to every protein-based diet book review section, saying the book is a waste of money. Few found her reviews helpful. So, take it with a grain of salt, since she is very anti-protein!

This diet may sound way out there. BUT, the Eades go into great detail, explaining HOW the cells utilize what we eat, HOW they react and WHAT certain foods do to them. I will never buy margarine again! I did not realize what it was doing INSIDE my body. I followed a low-fat diet for a year on the advice of my dr. I GAINED 50 lbs. Unusual? Perhaps. I was critized, and told I must have been cheating. I wasn't. I ate mostly fruits and salads, with occassional meats. Following this plan, I have lost 10 lbs in two weeks. That is probably not typical, but I have an a-typical amount to lose. I am out to lose 150 pounds. I am not wanting to lose 5 lbs to fit into a certain dress, I am trying to get a life back! I want to go to movie theaters again, ride bikes again, enjoy my life again. I for one, was tired of being trapped in this bodily prison that I thought I alone had created. I suffered from depression as well. The solution from my old doctor? Another pill. Well, the depression has lifted on its own since following this diet.

The benefits have been enormous. This diet might not work for you, but what have you got to lose by trying? I can feel my body getting back into line. I am also hypoglycemic, and this diet has allowed me to get off the blood sugar roller coaster. I highly recommend it. If you are overweight by 50 lbs or more, and your doctor is telling you that your only problem is a lack of will power, you owe it to yourself to try it. It isn't ALL will power - there are complex body chemistries and interactions at play. So to borrow a phrase, Just Do It! Get the book and change your life!

(PS - my NEW doctor gave me this book, and he is a cardiologist. When I read through it, I thought I would have high cholesterol, high fat, etc etc. He said 'trust me'. I had nothing to lose except weight, so I gave it a shot. My blood chemistry is normalizing now. Love yourself enough to try this eating plan. You will not be hungry all the time and you'll be getting healthy!)
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 18, 2000
I have followed the "Protein Power" plan for over 11weeks now, and have actually ENJOYED being on it! How many otherdiets can you say that about? In addition to not being hungry, I just can't feel "deprived" when I'm eating such good stuff and the weight is dropping off so fast. (I have lost over EIGHT INCHES off my waist in those 11 weeks, while eating chicken, eggs, steak, fish, cheese, & butter!)
As you can tell from the other reviews here, this plan works for most, if not all, who try it. (It seems like the few reviewers who didn't like this book either didn't understand it, or didn't follow what it said and then wondered why they didn't lose weight.)
The Drs. Eades do a great job of explaining not just WHAT works, but HOW and WHY it works, convincing even a skeptic like me. Their combination of scientific, historical & anecdotal evidence for their "adequate" protein/low carb diet will change the way you view how you and society at large eats. (BTW, some have suggested this plan doesn't work for people with blood type A -- not true. I'm type A pos.)
Oh, and if you're wondering, no, I am NOT a shill for authors of this book. If I were, I'd be pushing people to their website where they sell the plan for $150.00. This book contains everything you need! What a bargain! If, like me, you have struggled with weight all your life, it will be the best money you've ever spent.
on December 29, 2001
Protein Power is a much better book and diet than Dr. Atkins has been selling. I would like to see Drs. Eades on another informertial with more support and success stories. Protein power allows anywhere from 30-55 grams of carbs during the weight loss portion of the program. When I am in ketosis I suffer from dry mouth, and headaches so I cant be on phase one. To solve this I use phase two eating 55 grams of carbs a day. YES you CAN lose weight eating that many carbs, and the first low-carb diets like william bantings call for around 60 grams of carbs daily. I also enjoy having fruits and grains on protein power which are banned on atkins. Also the Eades dont make products a dog wont eat like atkins diet products. Stick to real food, and if you want something sweet have a small piece of a candy bar instead of those awful atkins bars. Below is a typical days food for me.
Breakfast
Lunch
-grilled chicken breast
-salad with oil dressing
-5 saltines
-diet rc cola(no aspartame)
Dinner
-spare ribs
-green beans
-cheesecake with berries
Snack
-deviled egg
on January 29, 2002
My review of the protein power plan is somewhat mixed. Since I began this diet about two years ago, I've gone from being 285 pounds to my current weight of 185 pounds. As long as I stay on the diet, I have been able to keep the 100 pounds off. My lapses have always been associated with out-of-town visits, and have never been longer than about 10 days. Because I have lost so much weight on this diet, I will continue to stay on it. This is the only thing that has worked for me. For years, I was on a low-fat, high-carb diet and I did cardiovascular training four times a week. That entire time I was 6'2" and 285
I do have a few problems with this diet. First, a lapse of even a week causes me to gain about 10 pounds, which then takes me a month to lose. I am certain that I am a prisoner of this diet for life if I want to stay at 185. Second, this business about having increased energy and never feeling hungry is just nonsense (or, more likely, it is psychosomatic). I am always exhausted, and I'm always hungry. I work out every day (45 minutes on MWF, 2.5 hours on T Th Sa Su) with a combination of about 40% cardiovascular training and 60% weight training. The only days that I really feel like I have enough energy for the duration of my workout are the days when I lapse and have something with carbohydrates. Some Saturday mornings I allow myself buckwheat pancakes with sugar-free syrup, which ends up being about 60 grams of carbohydrate. After I eat that, I can do a really strenuous workout. Third, I have not experienced an increase in my general health. I had high blood pressure when I began this diet, and it has increased steadily since I've lost weight. I can't really blame this on the diet itself, since I've also gotten older, too, but I should mention that I'm only 30 years old.
The recipes in the book are pretty decent. The book is written well, too. It's a far cry from the absolutely terrible writing of other books like "Body for Life." I recommend this diet for anyone who has to lose a significant amount of weight, but I caution people that this diet is not a panacea for all of life's problems.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 23, 2000
I have read both the Atkin's New Diet Revolution book and Protein Power. If you had to choose one low carb book between these two, I would pick Protein Power. The reason I prefer this book is that Protein Power details the science behind the weight loss. Let me first start by saying that if you are seriously considering losing weight fairly quickly without compromising nutrition, this is the book/diet for you. Also, you have to have an open mind about eating mostly protein and forgetting the "high carb, low fat" regimen. Included in this book are exact steps, charts, food tables, and recipes on how to safely go on the protein diet, and still be healthy by eating certain veggies and certain fruits. I have lost 15 pounds in a short amount of time and I'm confident that you will accomplish your goal. What I also like about this book is that it promotes vitamin supplements, exercise, and other anecdotes on why/how this diet works. Don't just read this book, apply it.
on January 3, 2000
After a decade of following every diet and exercise plan given by my doctor, weight loss center, and gym, I had managed to *gain* 40 pounds. After a strict 18-month program of workouts, food diaries, and visits to the gym, I'd managed to lose a whopping 15 pounds. I was told repeatedly that I was doing something wrong and that the failure was all my fault; I'd lose the weight if I just tried harder.
In October, in the face of opposition from all of the above, I started this diet -- after reading it carefully and discussing it with a friend who holds a Doctorate in Molecular Biology from Duke University. She said the science made sense and the worst that would happen was -- nothing would change.
In five weeks, I lost 15 pounds and saw my midriff jelly/belly role shrink by half. My body fat dropped 2% in two months. I am sleeping better; no longer have mood swings; and enjoy a lot more energy and self-esteem! I'm continuing to lose inches, pounds, and body fat, although more slowly.
This was the first holiday period in a decade that I didn't dread -- knowing that even if I *gourged* myself, I could jump right back into Induction and get back on track in a couple of days.
I am willing to accept that this is a lifetime treatment of a chronic medical condition, so I'm not approaching this as a short-term weight loss scheme. But if you tell me I can stay healthy eating bacon and cheese and using cream in my tea, why shouldn't I stay with it?
If you have doubts, the Eades program starts with a six week induction/trial. What do you have to lose -- except the fat and the unhapppiness.
on December 5, 1999
I started this plan 2-1-99 weighing 205 lbs. and squeezing into a size 16 and Queen Size hose(I'm 5'6"). I followed the plan with NO deviations (not even for my birthday). When Thanksgiving was approaching, I used Frances Monsoon McCullough's book-The Lo-Carb Cookbook (fabulous!) for the feast (cooking for guests, too), and never missed a thing from the traditional pig out of former years. (I made a roast pork tenderloin-I don't like turkey left overs very much). Today I wear a size 8, weigh 130 pounds and have had no negative effects from the plan-I feel headache-y and fatigued if I don't drink water-but good hydration is an important part of well being, not just dieting. I have lost my sugar and carb cravings, and no longer even chew gum or breath mints. This really is a plan that one can use for life.