Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

on July 2, 2002
Ms. Welborn has written a concise, but thorough book for Catholic teens on how to defend their faith when accosted by well-meaning Fundamentalists and Evangelicals of their perceived oddities of the Catholic faith. It is written in a humorous vein that will be especially appealing to young people (as well as adults). Could be successfully used in a class setting for youth with 16 reasonably length chapters that should keep them attentive. It is written for Catholic youths. It is not mean-spirited towards non-Catholics, but by the same token, Ms. Welborn does not sugar-coat the apparent conflict of beliefs between entities. If you are in charge of a Catholic Youth Ministry, I highly recommend you peruse a copy of this book.
0Comment38 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2006
I bought this book ofr my preteen daughter, but found it very informative myself.

Amy Wellborn does a great job of explaining and defining the faith from a Catholic perspective.

She keeps her presentation light hearted, but packs the book with solid research and provides references for her beliefs.

This book provides both scriptural and historical support for the claim that the Catholic Church is the one started by Christ.

I also recommend her other books on God and Jesus.
on April 7, 2004
You can tell that the target audience of this book was probably like teens. However, other people can learn from and enjoy this book too! I loved this book. It presented everything in a very comfortable manner, but it really hit home a lot of points and conflicts. I'd reccommend this book for any Catholic, old or young, convert or cradle catholic! Heck, even if you're not Catholic, it's still a good read
on August 10, 2010
I saw this the other day in the bookstore and thought I would read it, as I am always looking for apologetics material, especially those published for the less well-read. It's really good! As you can see from the `look inside' feature, it covers much more than just what the title discusses, Church. In fact, it can really stand alone as a simple introduction to the distinctive differences between Roman Catholics and Protestants, especially those of the Evangelical or Fundamentalist persuasion.

Positives? It's written in a style that is perfect for teens, isn't loaded down with technical terms and doesn't presuppose that the reader has too much background knowledge. If you go to the liturgy on a somewhat frequent basis, have had confirmation classes, want to love God and pray, that is enough to totally understand what's presented. It is also written in a way that would bolster the confidence of the reader, showing that Catholicism isn't some abstract medieval invention, but the Faith of the Apostles in Christ rooted in the Bible and history and that it is actually the Protestants who have a great deal of explaining to do. It gives no ground to the myths that permeate Protestantism about Catholics. Each chapter ends with a very nice summary of the main points.

Negatives? None, really. If you want to dig deeper, she gives a great list at the end. I would only say that this book is not meant to be exhaustive. See the other books I suggest below for more detailed readings.

This makes a great book for small group study and I would certainly say that any adult would find it useful, too.

Also check out: By What Authority?: An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition,Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic,Catholicism and Fundamentalism: The Attack on "Romanism" by "Bible Christians",This Is My Body: An Evangelical Discovers The Real Presence and, if you want an Eastern Orthodox perspective, Common Ground: An Introduction to Eastern Christianity for the American Christian and Discovering the Rich Heritage of Orthodoxy. My other reviews deal with these topics quite a bit too, so check them out. Enjoy!
on March 29, 2006
My 6th grader really, really enjoyed this book. Not only that, but he asked for the other books in the series! Amy Welborn has done a fine job of being charitable while defending the faith...without pulling any punches.
on September 30, 2010
I purchased this book to help me prepare a lesson for my high-school Confirmation class. As Catholics, we have a number of beliefs that are questioned regularly by well-meaning Protestants, and this book addresses each one of them in a way that high school students can understand. Admittedly, I learned a few things myself while reading this book, so I think that it has something to offer to adult Catholics looking to defend their faith as well. Overall, I think that it is a good mix of honest, studied responses with a humorous style.

Even though I am pretty well versed in apologetic literature, I learned a number of things in this book that surprised me (in a good way).
on March 29, 2008
This book is very accomplished at what its intended for - a guide for teens to defend their faith against Evangelicals who see fit to attempt to convert Catholics at any given chance. It has worked well for me and has inspired me to go even further into the book and go into apologetics in general, and I have it on loan to a friend who has been having these very same issues. She loves it as well.

It is down-to-earth and detailed, and is respectful yet blunt about fundamentalist Christians and their beliefs.
on May 24, 2012
Hello,

As a former Southern Baptist, I was misled into believing that the Bible was the only way to find the true Church. After reviewing the text,"Prove It", and the 2000 years of Catholic history, I was shocked to find out that the Catholic church can historically trace its history back to Jesus. The best my former Baptists pastor can trace it's history is back to his grandfather start the his own church.Period. What a joke!!
on June 23, 2011
I'm a youth minister and I bought this book for all my graduating seinors this year after reading it myself. It has great information and is written in language a teen would understand.
on May 27, 2015
It's very easy and fun to read. This book is primarily written for catholics, who deel in one way or the other with the "difficult" questions, that are usually asked by our protestant brothers and sisters about our Church, Faith and Tradition. Yet, it can be used by anyone seeking to know or refresh the basics of what we believe in and why. Though dealing with the profound Truths of our Faith and the Church's teachings, the author chose to write in a form of a conversation to keep it as simple and easy to follow as possible.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse