Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Provenance
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on May 31, 2010
This is the most original heartfelt music I have heard in years. I heard the interview with Maya Beiser on NPR sunday morning and thought to myself: interesting story but when the music started pouring in I was transformed. Bought the MP3 download for the car ride and intend to buy the CD for my parents. (Though I wonder what they will think of Led Zep Kashmir? :) I dont want to analyze the music as every word I add is unnecessary. listen to it and you will understand. Highly recommended Chris G.
on September 9, 2010
From the opening notes of "Provenance," it's impossible not to find oneself transported from mundane reality to a time and place of spiritual calm and rejuvenation. Cellist Maya Beiser, whose career path is as unpredictable as it is artistically rewarding, explores Spain's centuries-old musical traditions in works by several contemporary composers on this, her latest and most accessible recording. Beiser was raised in Israel, so her interest in Middle Eastern music is no surprise. Several of the composers invited to participate in this project hail from Iran, Israel and Armenia; their compositions tap into ancient musical forms while retaining a distinct contemporary attitude. Each piece leads seamlessly into the next, creating a rich musical tapestry of melody, emotion and drama in which Beiser's cello is the dominant voice. Her haunting and soulful playing is deftly supported by appropriately minimalist accompaniment: oud, percussion and voice. The disc's final track, Led Zeppelin's classic "Kashmir," might seem an odd inclusion until one realizes that it incorporates classical Moroccan, Indian and Middle Eastern musical motifs. Beiser's stunning interpretation highlights these elements while also relating the emotion in the song to the tracks that precede it. "Provenance" is yet another triumph for the virtuoso cellist who is helping to redefine the limits and the capabilities of modern classical music. Easily my favorite disc of 2010.
on June 23, 2010
I'm a big fan of Jordi Savall's music and projects and have also been dipping into Persian and Middle Eastern artists with hit or miss luck. Heard Provenance featured on NPR and the sound I heard is just what I've longed for, imagined even. This recording delivers soulful and intelligent conversations between East and West. It is mostly contemplative in nature; that is, good for introspection and quieter moments, not that there isn't moments of tension in the music. The Last track, however is a rocker, a violin rocker. Maya Beiser proves that the tension from the Led Zepplin classic can be successfully transmitted via violins and Middle Eastern instruments.
An unexpected delight that has but Maya Beiser on my radar. This promising artist needs to be supported. Buy this. There will be no regrets.
on July 31, 2011
Beautiful music. Similar - a little - to some of Yo Yo Ma's work with the Silk Road Ensemble. One of the best CD's in my (too big to say without embarrassing myself) collection.
on August 25, 2010
I have always loved the Cello, but not to the extent to which I would purchase music focused on the Cello. One evening I was listening to NPR Radio and listened to an interview with Maya Beiser, a Celloist. The station played samples of songs from her new CD - Provenance. I immediately purchased the CD from Amazon. There are only 5 songs on the CD, but they are incredible; beautiful and dreamy. My personal favorite is Kashmir which was a Led Zepplyn song. Maya's style is unique and I finally get to hear how beautiful Cello music can be. She is a gifted Celloist.
on July 30, 2010
I heard the first piece from this CD on the classical music station in Chicago and liked it so much I searched for it on Amazon and bought it right away. I was intrigued by the idea of Spanish music from the ninth through 13th centuries. It does not disappoint and I highly recommend it. The last piece by the way is Led Zepplin which is a big leap in centuries but it fits in well.
on July 11, 2010
Maya Beiser is very creative and original. Wonderful set of pieces by a very talented chello player. Highly recommended.
on October 14, 2010
I heard this music on NPR, and had to buy the CD. I wasn't disappointed. The music is stupendous. You can see Maya performing these on U-tube, which adds a whole other dimension of sensuality. The cover of Kashmir is great fun.
on December 31, 2013
Nice example of interpreting modern cello without forgetting cultural roots and traditions. The voice of the instrument build the athmosphere. Good feeling !
on October 7, 2010
I first heard Maya Beiser on the radio playing the Led Zeppelin tune, Kashmir, which is on this CD. My wife and I both knew immediately that we had to have this CD in our collection and we both ended up buying it without telling the other that we had. We now own two copies, one for the car and one for the house. Her version of Kashmir can be seen on YouTube and it is a fantastic version, but so is the original and so is Ottmar Leibert's version.... it's just a great song with a Middle East sound, which should not surprise us since Maya Beiser was raised in Israel. She's a classically trained cellist extraordinaire and most of the songs on this CD are kicked back, easy listening, Middle Eastern, mello instrumentals that may be good to listen to while eating and having dinner conversations.