Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now SnS

Format: Audio CDChange

on March 4, 2012
When I heard that Weakerthans' frontman John K. Samson was putting out a solo album, I assumed it would be a stripped down acoustic endeavor. Not so. Even though I would love to hear and acoustic album by John, Provincial could easily be the newest Weakerthans' album. The sound is not too far off from Reunion Tour although Provincial is slightly more subtle and subdued.

The lyrics on Provincial are amazing. The entire album is like driving through a painted scene-scape of mid-western Canada. Even Canadian small towns have their very own Cruise Night. Plus an album that calls for the induction of the NHL's First Nation (Native American) player Reggie Leach into the Hall of Fame couldn't possibly be bad. It's going to be hard to top this album as best of 2012.
on September 26, 2014
I've been a JKS fan since roughly 1996 when I heard him singing Anchorless on Propaghandi's Less Talk, More Rock and Showdown from How to Clean Everything. I fell in love with his voice... so sweet and sincere. When The Weakerthans released their first album, I HAD TO HAVE IT! I ordered it from some small record distro and listened to it nonstop for months. JKS has a great voice and is a great songwriter. This album is no exception. There are two fun/peppy tracks (Cruise Night and When I Write My Master's Thesis). Ipetition somehow makes me sad, but is beautifully written. The most hauntingly sad song on the album, I think, is The Last And. My heart breaks for this school teacher in love with her boss. WHether they're fictional or deeply personal, JKS knows how to write a song that makes me feel... whether it be happy, mushy and sappy, or sad. He can evoke emotion in me with every song on this album (and all his others)
on January 11, 2013
the ballads here are especially great. lovely and haunting. lyrically speaking, this is some of the best songwriting of 2012
on November 22, 2014
Seems like this is a bit of Weakerthans light, though it is an enjoyable listen. I guess was looking for a bit more rock and more melodies from Mr. Samson. I will continue to give this many more listens, as I may be missing something here after only about 4 spins.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2016
samson's song so frequently approach brilliance, but unfortunately never capture it. it's a good album, it's not mediocre, but it is frustrating. go directly to the weakerthans.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2012
I love this cd. I am a huge Weakerthans fan, and when I heard that John K. Samson was coming out with a new record, I was already sold! The shippment arrived on time! Everyone should buy this cd!!!
on February 21, 2012
Album is good. I would give it a couple listens to. I think to get the over all feel of this. It's almost old school the Weakerthans, which is a nice new "kick back."