5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE the new cricut IMAGINE
I have had the cricut machines since they came out and this one takes the prize! Very EASY to use! Love the print quality! I have used the machine to create die-cuts and full 12x12 sheets of colored patterned paper. VERY COOL!

Published on December 22, 2010 by L. Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not live up to the hype..
I am very disappointed with this Cricut Imagine machine. I was very excited about it at first and asked for it as a gift. I have spent literally months trying to get it to live up to what I was expecting but so far no luck. It is my first cricut.
Pet peeves:

Published on March 13, 2011 by Tina

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not live up to the hype.., March 13, 2011
Pet peeves:

1. It takes a while to run through the printer and cutting areas. If I just want to cut most of the time, because the printer cartridges are so very expensive, it's a big timewaster! It's like using dial-up when you could have high-speed internet, aggravating!!

2. The cutting mats will stick to paper a couple of cuts (or if you're very, very lucky) maybe 10 in the machine, then you can only use really thin paper, all other paper doesn't stick anymore, it moves around when the blade is trying to cut. (Yes I have tried washing the mats, and almost everything else suggested except the things that void the warranty)

3. When you have an image selected, it usually has to be sized, that's fine. But there isn't a drop down list of sizes, I have to sit there and tap the size bigger until it's the size I want, it takes a really long time as opposed to the rolling dial on older machines. I would use the fit to page (or make the page smaller but that takes just as long to program the machine), but most of the time I don't want it that big, when I'm doing a scrapbook I like the 5"-6" size.

4. When you're using a regular cricut cartridge there is no zoom button to figure out which button to pick, it's zoomed out so you can see the whole keypad. The problem is that most of the images look like little squiggles. Basically you can label your booklet (if you have an old booklet, not the newer shiny ones, it doesn't work then), or try to memorize which ones you like to use, or guess which one it is you want, do you want squiggle 1-30? Shift or no Shift? It goes on and on... Then delete all the ones you don't actually want, it's very time consuming when you just want to print one little layer!!

5. You really can only use a full 12" by 12" paper when cutting, almost any scrap you use will most often move around and not actually stick to the "sticky" mat.

The WORST problem in my book is this:

6. THERE IS NO EASY WAY OF MOVING THE IMAGE!! You can't move the image to the middle of the page, or side or anywhere but the top left. Plus since the mat isn't terribly sticky (I'm being very generous saying that) it uses up all the stick in that area, if you could move the image around you might be able to get more use out of it. (It would be so cool if you could have a "move image" button so you could resize it right in the machine instead of having to buy a gypsy...) This kind of is a money grab on Provo crafts part. They sell a machine that does half the stuff, then say here pay $$$ so that it can do everything it's capable of!!

My summary is this: I could live with the rest if it was easy to move the image on the screen of the Imagine, and the mats were sticky enough. But all put together????

Thanks for reading my Cricut Imagine rant; I don't want anyone else to be this disappointed in the sub-par machine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Machine, Bad Service, Wish I had known, May 4, 2011
This review is from: Cricut Imagine Machine (Electronics)
My husband purchased this machine for me as a Mother's Day gift. We had it overnighted. When the machine arrived it would not calibrate. After several attempts I called ProvoCraft only to find out that there are many of these machines on the market that are bad. You have to go to the "about" screen on the machine and if the version number ends in 201C the machine is bad and will not work. I contacted Amazon who immediately overnighted another machine only to have the EXACT same problem! I contacted Provocraft who told me it would take at least two weeks to get me another because they wanted my machine back first. I was insulted because I HAD paid for a good machine and received bad ones! They were cheating me not the other way around! Amazon stopped selling the machine for a day but then went right back to it! If it would take me two weeks to get one how did they replace an entire inventory in a day? Provocraft and their distributors are making the customers do the work for them...Rather than them finding out which machines are bad the customer gets the machine and then has to go through the process of returning it and waiting for another. A recall should have been done on these machines. How horrible to treat customers in this way! I would absolutely NOT buy this machine unless they could prove it was not the "bad" version 201C.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE the new cricut IMAGINE, December 22, 2010
L. Smith (Maryland - United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cricut Imagine Machine (Electronics)

I am a bit disappointed with how this item works with the GYPSY. It will act like a NORMAL cricut ONLY! You can't colorize your GYPSY projects :( I did find a work around. Print a full 12z12 color paper first. Then re-insert and cut what you need with the GYPSY. Again, not IDEAL, but it works and you get the color match that you needed right out of your machine.

I can't comment on the ink cost/use. I haven't had it for more than 1 month. The cartridges seem LARGE and they should produce lots of projects. The cost of the ink is between $32 and $36. Best value is thru Amazon.

PRO: Versatile, EASY TO USE, and you can print what you need!

CON: HEAVY machine, not portable, and not fully compatible with the GYPSY (yet)

Good luck and happy scrapbooking!

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs work, folks, April 18, 2011
L. T. Ferris "schoolmarm" (Rural, upstate New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cricut Imagine Machine (Electronics)
I have had my Imagine for 3 weeks. It was fairly easy to learn how to use it but I am dismayed that Cricut would market something with so many glitches and problems. The size selection buttons are annoying and, on occasion, will NOT respond to your poke-commands.
The mat is not very sticky and because the item you are printing/cutting is always placed in the upper left corner, loses its ability to hold the paper fairly quickly.
Most annoying is the machine tends to turn itself off and back on half way through the print/cut process. I either have to scrap what has been printed and start again or cut it out myself with scissors.
It seems this machine was put on the market before it was well tested and the problems worked out.
It's a wonderful idea. I would wait awhile to buy one and hope that Cricut makes some improvements.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Opinion, December 6, 2010
This review is from: Cricut Imagine Machine (Electronics)
I've never been able to find the same color of paper to match the images on the Cricut cartridge manuals so it does seem like a big plus not having to find paper colors that fit the color palette in the photos, however, on the other hand, having the image cut in one layer seems to take away from the home made look of the finished image. On the plus side, it seems to save on the time required to cut and assemble many little pieces, but I think you loose some satisfaction in being able to say you made it yourself. The finished look almost looks like digital scrapbooking. After looking at many reviews online on You Tube, there does seem to be a known problem with the cutting mat as well. Paper does not seem to adhere as well to the new cutting mats and unfortunately you can't use the old mats with it. If you are planning to purchase this machine, I highly recommend that you buy it from a seller that will accept returns if you are not satisfied with it's performance. If you own one and have figured out a good work around for the mat problem, I'm sure you could sell the colored and cut images a'la carte through Etsy to help pay for your investment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Imagine more possibilities, July 26, 2011
This review is from: Cricut Imagine Machine (Electronics)
I had an expression and was ready for something new and exciting. First off, the Imagine is GIGANTIC, it is a lot heavier than the expression and larger than my home printer; this will make storing the Imagine interesting. If you don't have a lot of space consider the Expression mainly due to size. I did a lot of research before purchasing the Cricut Imagine and was familiar with using it before I received it. I really recommend watching YouTube videos because it makes using the machine easier. The machine is easy to set up and I was making projects right away. You do have to update it through the Cricut Sync software (downloadable for free) in order to access the full functions of the cartridges. Since it is almost all digital it can be updated as Cricut puts out new features which is a HUGE plus. All in all I am very pleased with my purchased and the only real con I see is the size.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money and time until provocraft works the kinks out, January 15, 2011
This review is from: Cricut Imagine Machine (Electronics)
If I could give this product zero stars, I would. I bought this machine with high hopes and endless enthusiasm. I am left with a sour taste and much frustration. I got the machine and went through the loading process. Once I got to calibration, it stopped working. After many times trying I called the customer service support and was told that this was a known problem and they were "working on it." They told me to come back in a week and update my machine via usb to computer (via their support website). Very frustrated, but I patiently waited. Came back 10 days later and the machine updated, but still did not work. I called support and even emailed them to find out if the machine was broken or if the updates didn't work. NO RESPONSE!!!!!!!!!! Nothing on their website indicates that this is a know problem, and even the support person on the phone was a bit embarrassed that she had to say "sorry, but this is all I know." So ProvoCraft created an amazing idea but falls extremely short on customer service and selling a product THEY KNOW DOES NOT WORK WITH THE LATEST UPDATES THEY MADE. SHAME ON THEM. Needless to say, I returned the unit and will not make any attempt to purchasing from this company EVER AGAIN! So, you have been warned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing!!!, July 30, 2011
This review is from: Cricut Imagine Machine (Electronics)
I own other Cricut machines, and I got the Imagine as a Christmas present (have had it 7 months at the writing of this review). I'm so suprised at some of the reviews I have read.

I have NO PROBLEM with the speed that it cuts or prints. The printing is gorgeous. The cutting is adjustable. I wasn't crazy about the border it was leaving around the edges so adjusted to not leave a border.

I have NO PROBLEM with the mats....I have only used ONE mat so far and it's still working great. And it has worked great with both cardstock and paper, as well as vinyl. I haven't tried anything else yet.

I have NO PROBLEM adjust size...any machine you use you would have to designate the size you want.

I have NO PROBLEMS seeing the screen and I have bad eyesight.

I love that you can tell it what size paper you're using.

I love that I choose layers or no layers.

I love that I have a ton of colors (basically any color you want), and patterns to choose from....this allows for endless creativity.

I haven't changed the ink cartridges yet, but that is because I don't always use it to print. I used it to cut vinyl to put our business name on our truck...have gotten soooo many compliments on that! But the ink cartridges aren't anymore expensive than the ones for my printer.

I love the fact that I can use my regular Cricut cartridges with it as well as the Imagine cartridges. One my favorite things is that I can use my regular cartridge and have the layers printed the color I want them to be without having to search for papers that are the right color or have to put several different colored papers on a mat to get what I want. And one night I was making a project and needed a color paper I didn't have so I just printed one out!!! Very cool!!!

It is so versital and you are truly only limited by your imagination (pun inteneded). My husband bought mine right after it was released so he paid a fortune for it, but now it is dirt cheap. You'd have to be crazy to not buy it at this price!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Machine - Does EVERYTHING, February 15, 2012
This review is from: Cricut Imagine Machine (Electronics)
I have had a Cricut cutting machine since shortly after they came on the market, starting with the smallest 6x12 basic machine about 5 years ago. I decided to "upgrade" from my Expression, which I love, because I wanted to be able to print the sentiments and embellishments instead of cutting out individual tiny letters. I can still cut out individual letters with my Imagine, but my projects are so much easier to do now, and I am able to make a quick card in less than 5 minutes. I can print the main embellishment, print the layers, put it all togehter, and I'm done. I don't have to fiddle with small pieces or hunt for the right shade of paper.

I can also print letters directly onto my scrapbook paper without cutting or piecing anything. I love this feature! (set your border to "0" before printing).

There is a learning curve to this machine. No, you cannot easily "move" the blade to where you want to cut, but it can be done by adding uncolored squares to your mat. Yes, it takes longer to just "cut" your images if you want to use colored paper, but if you are just cutting colored paper frequently, then this machine may not be the best choice for you - try an Expression if that's your main function. I kept my Expression because the Imagine isn't designed to cut thick materials like chipboard. It can do heavy cardstock, however. I also make a lot of multiples for classroom use, so it's much quicker to cut 12 pages of hearts on my Expression than to wait for them to pass through the print portion of the Imagine.

The screen is easy to use, the icons on it are large enough to be able to easily see and adjust colors. You can also choose images to cut from regular Cricut cartridges, then use the Imagine cartridges to select a pattern to fill the image before cutting. This machine is simple to understand once you've seen it in use, and my 10 yr old uses it without help. I had to show her one time how to size and color an image; there are plenty of Youtube videos on how to do this as well.

My favorite feature is being able to use RGB codes to fill in the small parts of paper piecings, such as the Disney images that have lots of layers. I just use plain white paper and then select the pieces to cut and color them to the proper shade using RGB codes - these are readily available online.

I also like that you can change the color of each of the layers on the main images of the Imagine cartridges (there are 50 on each Imagine cartridge, plus bonus images that don't have layers). You can also cache patterns from another Imagine cartridge and use it in combination with any other Imagine cartridge pattern.

There are some disadvantages to this machine. It is large and it is Heavy. It is not meant to be a portable unit. Ideally, it should be set up and calibrated and have a designated place for it to stay. When the machine is first set up, it has to be updated online so that it will print full 12x12 sheets of paper. I haven't used this feature except to test it, I usually just print smaller squares of paper instead of full sheets to save on ink. The ink cartridges last quite awhile, some people say they've used their machines for almost a year before needing to replace ink.

The mats that come with the machine are horrible. They are not sticky enough to hold down the paper securely. The company tells you to use tape on the edges of your paper, but this doesn't work very well. Check online for other ideas, and I'm sure you'll find a better solution.

This machine may not be the best choice for everyone, but it's a great choice for some. I really enjoy using it, and I'm able to change my projects to suit the recipient quickly and easily without hunting for paper. I love mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cricut Imagine, January 31, 2011
Jenny R. Johnson (Virginia Beach, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cricut Imagine Machine (Electronics)
Absolutely love this machine! Easy to use; really a dream machine! I have made dozens of cards and embelishments and scrapbook paper, scrapbook layouts since purchasing this machine during its world launch in Septemeber. I know it can be a bit pricey but worth every penny. I love turning plain white card stock into a color creation. Very well made. Love it, love it.

Cricut Imagine Machine