5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the best trance album this year!
Published on September 27, 2002 by Robert Klaproth

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent tracks marred by abysmal mixes
Published on March 11, 2003 by Ronan Morris

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the best trance album this year!, September 27, 2002
Robert Klaproth (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Provocative Trance: Mixed By Chris Cox (Audio CD)
The first thought that ran through my mind as I listened to this CD all the way through was "Wow, they actually let the DJ pick all the tracks rather then worrying about licensing". Let's face it, most dance labels put all their own stuff on a CD to save on costs, but not this time! This CD has a solid selection of tracks that will have you leaving it in your CD player for months to come!
Although the title says "Provocative Trance", the CD actually starts out very housey with Daft Punk - One More Time. At first I was a bit reserved because that is not a trance song at all, and the track is old and was overplayed when it was popular. However, I realized after listening to the entire CD that the track sets a happy positive upbeat mood, which continues to radiate throughout the entire CD.
Continuing on, the CD actually breaks off to freestyle for the "bla bla bla edit" of I'll Fly with You. I really like how Chris shows a few different styles of dance music, and adds in the "fun factor" by getting a little bit creative, rather then just going with the status quo.
Moving forward, we have PPK resurection, which Chris smoothly mixes even though the song doesn't start with the beat, the synthesizers at the beginning actually harmonize directly with the song he's mixing out of PERFECTLY ON BEAT, and it really sounds cool! After the beat of the previous track stops, Chris actually shifts the speed of PPK up quite a bit - another really cool technique - again right on tempo so you can't even notice unless of course you have a highly seasoned ear.
After PPK the CD shifts into the more commercial, well known, trance smashes, DJ Sammy & Yanou - Heaven, Ian Van Dahl - Will I, and DJ Encore - I See Right Through You. These tracks are tried and true, and I'm glad he included them on the CD because it again continues the happy, upbeat tone started at the beginning of the cd. Also, this brilliant strategy will make the CD easier to sell in stores if you ask me, because honestly when people shop for mix CD's, they tend to like to hear a few tracks they are familiar with.
After giving your ears some familiar uplifting vocal trance music, Chris shifts over to Barthezz - On The Move - which shifts to faster, harder trance sound with very little vocals other then "You got the chance - dance.."
From there, we're up to 142bpm and we glide right on into Ravers on Dope - Hardcore Vibes. Many of you may have remembered the original back in the days of the hardcore raver techno music - Hardcore Vibes by Dune. I really think it's cool that Chris kinda goes back to some of the roots of dance music.
Continuing on our journey we catch a ride on Flight 643. This little track took Europe by storm last year, and represents a major shift in the tune of this CD as Chris is ready to take us on that really emotional trance journey that so many of us love..
That brings us into the next track, one that I actually was introduced for the first time listening to this CD - Sterbinszky & Tranzident feat Jewis - Gates of Mind. This track is has some very awesome builds and explosions that really just make me shiver!
Chris takes us back again to the past, re-visiting what was probably one of the biggest trance tracks EVER, and has appeared on probably over 100 compilation CD's to date, Delerium & Sarah Maclachlan - Silence (DJ Tiesto Remix). This track needs no introductions, but it's still one of my favorite trance tracks to this day!
The journey just continues as my jaw continues to open wider, as we are treated to Marc et Claude - Tremble. It's another really big journey track that will just grab your heart and your emotions. Plus, it's remixed by Riva, which is one of my current favorite trance remixers - you may recognize them from their remix of IIO - Rapture.
Our final trance journey ends with a 2001 remake on a timeless classic - Inxs - Precious Heart. This track was actually called "Tall Paul vs Inxs" when it came out, and Chris delivers up the Riva mix of this track - which is new to me. I love Riva, and again, this was a flawless choice to put on this CD.. 2 riva tracks back to back is just absolute WOW!! Chris slows us down, by brilliantly dragging the pitch down slowly, almost sounding as if it's a part of the mix itself.. We go from 139bpm all the way down to 134 in one song.
We're about to touch back down to the ground from Flight 643 as we hear Eyes Cream - Open Up Your Mind. This new single from Provocative Music has taken the dance floor by storm with several solid mixes - Chris chose the Warp 9 Extended mix, which is actually my favorite mix of Eyes Cream. To me, this track is not a trance track, but more of a progressive house tune, and it's one of my personal favorites right now.
Finally, we end the CD on a very happy, positive note, with 29 Palms - Touch the Sky.
This CD will take you on a journey, and you will definately appreciate and enjoy every minute of this CD.
Rating: 5 out of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Greatest Compilations Available, February 27, 2003
Peter L Reid Jr (Terryville, Connecticut United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Provocative Trance: Mixed By Chris Cox (Audio CD)
As a loyal Trance listener in the States for about 4 years, i have listened to many different compilations of songs on a CD. I sincerely believe this album to be one of the best ones out there. I highly recommend this album to everyone; it is just one of those rare albums that every song is great, and you can listen to for hours. Once again, definitely buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old But Kickin', September 1, 2003
"dj_zer0" (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Provocative Trance: Mixed By Chris Cox (Audio CD)
The album has older electronic-based genre songs on it, but as an album, it is quite good. I listen to once in a while and I usually use it when I DJ online. It's a must for the vocal trance lovers, but good enough for anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent tracks marred by abysmal mixes, March 11, 2003
This review is from: Provocative Trance: Mixed By Chris Cox (Audio CD)
This CD is ALL wrong, as a major release. The tracks are decently selected, there's a variety between the Tribal sound, and the more Euro NRG effect, tho the selections do seem to lean on the gay side. However, this combination of styles which is woefully rare in today's dance compilations- most of which narrowly focus on only one highly specific style or scene- is positively WRECKED by the ummm, I guess we're calling that "mixing". Most computer literate folks could do the same with any of a number of low-budget music mixing programs. Apologies, folks, but cross fading the first and last 5 seconds of successive songs is not generally deemed "mixing". One thing that demonstrates a DJ's innate musicality and talent is the continuity and craftiness of his transitions, and for all the talent for music post-production that Mr. Cox may possess, he should be humiliated and ashamed to have his name associated with this wholly mediocre sell-out.

5.0 out of 5 stars PROVOCATIVE TRANCE djricomixshow.com REVIEW, September 27, 2002
dj rico (california - usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Provocative Trance: Mixed By Chris Cox (Audio CD)
PROVOCATIVE PROGRESSIVE MIXED BY DAVE DRESDEN, PROVOCATIVE TRANCE MIXED BY CHRIS COX (PROVOCATIVE RECORDS)

Jeff Johnson & Chris Cox has joined forces to launch what promises to be an exciting new label- starting with their compilation Provocative series. The compilation series was released on two separate Cds to cater to one's taste: Provocative Trance- mixed by Chris Cox & Provocative Progressive mixed by Dave Dresden. Let's begin with Cox's "Provocative Trance" series. Looking at the tracklisting below- with some exceptions, one could question the array of tracks chosen ( eg. Daft Punk's "One More Time" to start the Cd)  but keep in mind, not one person is going to like every song  chosen, but what's important here is how Chris Cox masterfully weaves all the eclectic trance tracks together flawlessy from PPK's haunting "Resurrection", all the way to 29 Palms "Touch the Sky".  Though the only rough transition between all these beautifully woven trance songs was the inclusion of Eyes Cream's "Open Up Your Mind"- which also happens to the first single from this series.  The Eyes Cream ( Warp 9 ext) would of seemed much better fit in the Dave Dresden Provocative Progressive series than amidst all these trance tracks.  With the year 2002 closing in, this compilation is great as recap of trance tracks like PPK, Marc Et. Claude Tremble, DJ Tiesto Flight 643 in case you missed them or had trouble finding them domestically. Overall, Cox's Provocative Trance is a nice compilation that hopefully will introduce the world to some trance artists.  Watch for Provocative series "12 of Cox" mixed by Chris Cox released commercially next month. The second series "Provocative Progressive" was mixed by producer/remixer Dave 'the wave" Dresden who definitely had a busy year churning out fabulous mixeswith partner Gabriel for a slew of  eclectic artists.  This time Dresden rides solo withthis progressive series that features some of today intriguing underground talents as Arrakis, Beber & Tamra, Grayarea etc.. not your typical bubble gum pop, the quality of the songs and productions shows.  Aside from introducing you to artists you might not be familiar with, also has longtime favorites as Felix Da Housecat, Chemical Brothers, Utah Saints among others. Dresden also included some of his remix work with pal Gabriel for Way Out West's "Mind Circus" & Beber & Tamra's "Traveling On"- which is nice for those that had trouble finding these gems domestically. Dave Dresden's solid trademark is solid tribal & progressive vocal selections, and he crafitly delivers his signature sound on this mixed Provocative Progressive compilation.
Reviewed By Phillip Anthony Jr.( djricomixshow.com)

5.0 out of 5 stars Think this cd., March 22, 2004
Eleanor Skinner (Albany, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Provocative Trance: Mixed By Chris Cox (Audio CD)
I have just got up to track 11 on this cd, and I am high. Literally high on the music. I have never taken drugs. I jumped up and down. I saw animated records and writing. My mind diagrammed an entire music video based on my science fiction and Russian dissident library for Resurection by PPK, which has never happened before. Musical tastes are idiosyncratic, and if this cd thrills me, someone else will hate it. But if you like trance, this is the cd. (Practical description: it sounds kind of like the dance soundtrack for Queer as Folk only more ethereal and synthesizer-like and cool.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great simply GREAT, February 8, 2005
DJ Grasshopa (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Provocative Trance: Mixed By Chris Cox (Audio CD)
Chris did a fantastic job on this one! I'm excited to hear 12" of Cox. If it's half as good as this one it will be money WELL spent.

Not only is this one to buy but it's deffinately a KEEPER!! Six out of five stars!!!!

DJ Grasshopa

Denver, CO

5.0 out of 5 stars Definately a keeper, January 27, 2003
This review is from: Provocative Trance: Mixed By Chris Cox (Audio CD)
Chris Cox came through huge with this album. It starts off with the always fun Daft Punk's "One More Time", and moves from there straight into a full 70 minutes of awesome techno and trance beats. This is a must get cd, containing a ton of huge hits that will keep you going all night long. I got it last thursday, and I'm pretty sure its played all the way through about 11 times so far. Take my word for it. This album is absolutely awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth listening, January 20, 2013
This review is from: Provocative Trance: Mixed By Chris Cox (Audio CD)
Good cd, reminds me of high-school and easy to listen too. Also, it is unavailable on Itunes, but even if it had been it would have cost more anyway. Great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Groovy house/trance music, December 26, 2012
This review is from: Provocative Trance: Mixed By Chris Cox (Audio CD)
The only Chris Cox cd I liked. Mix of house and trance; at times progressive/fast. Had to buy this again because my other cd got too scratched up. I learned how to upload to itunes, no more skipping music. Definately a great buy for us trance (progressive trance) lovers.

Provocative Trance: Mixed By Chris Cox
Provocative Trance: Mixed By Chris Cox by Chris Cox (Audio CD - 2002)
Rate and Discover Movies