Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on January 12, 2012
After a lot of research, I waffled between Jim Byrnes' tablesaw and the Proxxon FET. I have the Byrnes thickness sander and it is a VERY high quality piece of equipment. Unfortunately, his saw is not a tilt arbor and I do a lot of compound miter cuts for puzzles and for band inlay. Amazon offered a fairly typical price for the Proxxon but free shipping . So I ordered it and received a badly packaged, damaged table saw which I shipped back. ( Amazon, there's no excuse for one piece of crumpled paper as padding when shipping a "precision" tool.) Amazingly, Unit two survived with just two pieces of crumpled paper.

But buying on-line means you can't kick the tires. I knew it was diecast metal and plastic. In spite of all the glowing reviews and comments on many websites and blogs, the engineer / machinist in me said I shouldn't really expect precision. But maybe I can tweak a few things when it gets here. After all, I'm buying it mostly for compound angle cuts with super thin kerf blades. Just leave it on 30 degrees.

Imagine my surprise on discovering that, with the miter gage in the left slot, if you tilt the blade 28 degrees, it shaves off the edge of the miter gage. At 45 degrees, it removes a roughly 1/4" thick slice of gage. The tilt angle adjustment is a bit off but with just an inch of blade exposed, you can't really check it unless you have a set of angle gage blocks. BTW, the blade also moves when you lock it down. I guess I'm buying a Byrnes saw after wasting a few weeks with Proxxon.
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2012
After much research I figured I'd just finally bite the bullet and order this thing. It seemed to get the best reviews other than the Jim Byrnes saw. Shipping from Amazon was quick, but after opening the box and running this thing I wouldn't have minded waiting a little longer. My chief complaint is with the fence. I went with this model since it looked like it had a beefier fence compared to the fks model. Even though its a bit taller, the way it attaches to the table allows the fence to actually lift up at the far end as well as never squaring up to the blade. There is one adjustment bolt which attaches the fence to the piece with the lever that slides on to the table, but even tightening it up to the point just before stripping the bolt, the fence still wobbles laterally. The plastic sawing cap is just slightly taller, and I mean just slightly taller than the aluminum worktop. I know it sounds particular, but when spending this much, I feel its justified. So when I push pieces through, they catch every time on the plastic piece right before going into the blade. Also maybe I was a bit naive for expecting this, but Proxxon claims these cuts would need no "subsequent finishing", but the edges of miter and cross cuts still splinter a bit just like almost every other saw out there. My last complaint is that it doesn't quite cut at the heights advertised on the Proxxon site. Mine cuts a little lower than the 1" on the Proxxon site and still lower than the 5/6" listed on Amazon.

However, it does have a nice weight to it, the casing is plastic (although by the description that load bearing parts are made of aluminum lead me to believe the casing must be as well), but still sturdy and it comes with a push stick and a pretty nice miter gauge which has an extender piece and a nice stop to replicate cuts.

Bottom line is that its probably an okay saw for lots of projects but isn't quite as capable with projects involving high degrees of precision. I was super excited getting this in the mail and that turned to dissapointment pretty quickly. I think I'd still prefer just using my 10" table saw (which still cuts straighter even on 1/4" cuts) and sticking to buying any smaller pieces I'd need for modeling at the art supply store.
on May 20, 2012
For all the ones that asked, these are made in Taiwan, but the blades are made in Germany.
I didn't realize it until I unpacked the unit, this does not have a speed control which I was under the impression was needed for plastics. Very disappointed about this.

Proxxon US tech support number is: 877-776-9966

Pros,
1. Lightweight, easy to move around,
2. Fairly quiet though the plastic housing probably amplifies more noise than it should,
3. Top hinges up allowing easy cleaning and blade change,
4. Rip fence is much improved over earlier model,
5. Micro adjust for rip fence (dual locks on fence, one for micro adjust, the other for normal use),
6. Miter guide has a 'T' slot so guide doesn't fall out of slot if extended back towards you,
7. Extension on left side provides more support for wider pieces.

Cons,
1. No speed control, unlike it's predecessor,
2. Power switch should be on the right with a large button for a panic stop,
3. Made in Twain,
4. Expensive for where it is made. Germany would of been more acceptable,
5. Miter guide can't be used to the left of the blade when doing bevel cuts greater than 25 degrees (this is apparently a safety issue),
6. Mostly useless exhaust port at rear. Opening is half of the adapters size.

Exhaust port is of no use when cutting plastics as it does not have the air flow opening to actually make any difference. I had as many shavings with or without using a vacuum when cutting scrap pieces of 1/8" Plexiglas. I haven't tried wood yet.
I haven't tried mounting it on a sheet of 3/4" ply yet. The pieces of Plexiglas I practiced with were small and there was no need to.

Update: I did return this. It's just too overpriced for what it does, or what it doesn't do. I de-rated it to two stars.
55 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 24, 2012
This saw has the limitations with the miter gauge as mentioned. It is, however a good saw for working with small pieces of wood. I rip .90" thick hard maple and ebony into 3/16-5/16" strips easily. However, the blade is likely to start oscillating if you feed too fast with wood this thick and cut groves into the side of the pieces. It works better to set the blade to 1/2 the thickness of the wood and make 2 cuts, turning the wood over for the second pass. This is a limitation of the thin blade, not the saw. Quite a powerful motor.

The rip fence works well, but does not move in quite the .004" intervals regularly. You have to make a cut then try and ease into a width. It simply does not clamp totally consistently. Stable when clamped though.

The miter gauge works very well, as does the shop vac inlet. Still throws around a little saw dust, but much better than without the vacuum.

Overall, i would rather have the Byrnes saw, but that is several hundred $ more and does not tilt. This saw is worth the price because of what it can do. Too bad they didn't make the fence a little longer and better.
on June 3, 2012
This is a wonderful little saw, extremely accurate and just the right size for modeling.. There are some design flaws tho. the left hand guide channel puts the mitre right in the blade, The blade tilt ruler is off by a good 5 degrees (the motor hits the deck at about 40) and it took a very large wrench to de torc the spindle nut to change blades the first time. These flaws can be worked around but are another example of the vast gaps between design - engineering - marketing. These guys should have lunch once in a while
on December 19, 2013
I moved from a house with full basement to an apartment with a 6'x6' workshop - had to leave my 5HP Delta behind. This little saw suits my projects quite well - handles most of what I need. With a little setup, I've ripped 4' long boards - slow and fussy, but the results were better than other methods available. For small work it is very nice.

The only drawbacks are the cut quality - fairly rough compared to the larger saws I am used to - not a surprise I guess given the blade size, but I do wish it was better - and the limited ability to do dado style cuts.

Quite a useful tool.
on March 11, 2016
Very nice machine. Been using a Micromark saw for 15 years that was also excellent but it developed a flat spot on the armature so needed replacement. The Proxxon is very much like the Microlux in many ways but Proxxon is a lot more exacting in it's critical cutting adjustments.The fence adjustments are great but the miter gauge is just plain ridiculous. Needs serious redesign.Cleaning is a lot easier too. Like it a lot overall.
on May 7, 2014
A little saw it is, but if you are doing small work, this little guy can not be beat. I make knife scales and this guy is exactely what I needed for ripping / crosscutting small pieces. Heck, it works great for bird houses too. Very happy camper.
on April 27, 2012
I used the saw to built a toy house and furniture. Cuts nice and smooth with plenty of power for wood stock up to 3/4" thick. The micro adjustment fence guide is a very nice feature. just make sure to align the fence before using it to rip. I even used the saw to clean up a dado that I had started on my full size table saw.
I am perfectly happy with my saw after three weeks of use.
on January 22, 2012
Ordered this saw because I got tired of rolling out my full size table saw when I need to make a simple cut. I'm very pleased with the quality and performance. Plenty of power, and good precision although the miter slot was a tiny bit sloppy. Shim stock added to the bar took care of that. The fence adjustment is very precise. I also bought the Proxxon miter saw and it too is a really fine tool.