4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for hobbyists
I ordered the Proxxon scroll saw for light cutting and hobbyist work and Amazon had the cheapest price I could find.

Published on November 1, 2008 by Sierra

3.0 out of 5 stars Limited purpose, but useful for model making
Published on April 6, 2009 by Hitoshi Noguchi

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for hobbyists, November 1, 2008
Sierra (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Proxxon 37088 Scroll Saw DS 115/E, Colors may Vary (Tools & Home Improvement)

It's extremely light, small, and makes the noise level is extremely low - all three are important for me because I live in a cramped apartment. It includes speed control and accepts common scroll saw blade heights, and adjusts for larger and shorter blades.

It's easy to operate, one button for on and off and a knob for speed control - however, I recommend purchasing a foot pedal to control the scroll saw as pressing the power button repeatedly while in the middle of working on a project can become irritating and it offers more control.

I should stress that the Proxxon scroll saw is meant for light projects, it cuts soft woods easily, and thin hard woods but don't expect it to slice through 2 inches of plywood. Actually, don't expect it to cut through plywood at all. It slices through balsa like butter, but even extremely thin slices of plywood, it struggles with.

The only complaint I have about the scroll saw (so far) are that the directions included with it are horrendous and look as if they were written by someone who barely understands English.
It took over an hour to decode the heinous instructions to assemble the saw for something that should have taken ten minutes at most.

The hardest part was inserting the scroll saw blade which isn't done the typical way as with the most scroll saws.

There is some vibration and it really should be mounted to a steady surface - which they provide mounting screws - but I really have nowhere to mount it, so as of now it wobbles a bit but it's not too much.

Overall, it's nice and does the job.

3.0 out of 5 stars Limited purpose, but useful for model making, April 6, 2009
If you have a large garage with room for a real table saw, a band saw, a jointer... I envy you. If you have a closet-sized "workshop" where the best you can hope for is to build boats to fit in a bottle, then maybe this scroll saw will help you with your projects. You would think that a tool this small would find its place in jewelry making. It doesn't. It is nearly useless for cutting through metal. It cuts through seashells, ivory, plastic and thin softwood nicely. So the possible applications are fairly limited. It is basically a model maker's tool. Especially useful when you are working in wood, plastic and very thin metals. Not recomended for heavier work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Proxxon DS 115/E Scroll Saw, July 13, 2010
The Proxxon scroll saw is a wonderful tool for detailed work on jewelry and other physically small projects. I use it to initially shape wax forms to be cast. It does a great job. With the blade cut to the shortest length, it can be precisely controlled.

I agree with a previous reviewer that cited the extremely poor instructions.

Blade changing is a bit unorthodox but with practice it's passable. It's very important to install the blade so that it makes contact with roller guide. Also, as recommended in the instructions, cutting the blade to shortest possible length greatly improves accuracy. The blades are easily cut to size with normal medium-duty wire cutters.

I was surprised to find that the unit included crosscut and rip guides. These have proven to be very useful assets.

The saw is very well made for a relatively inexpensive item. If you are doing model level work, I highly recommend this saw. However, if you are into large-scale projects, it's not the tool for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little saw when used within its capabilities, April 9, 2010
I really like this little saw!! I have a larger scroll saw but wanted something smaller and more useful to me in my model building activities. The Proxxon DS115/E fits the bill nicely. Be aware if you want to slice through 1 inch thick hardwood this isn't the saw for you. But, if you want to use it within the capabilities recommended by Proxxon it really shines. I've cut balsa up to 1/2" thick, 1/8" thick walnut and basswood, 1/16" various plastics and, with a jewelers saw blade, have cut templates from 1/16" aluminum. The capability of using shortened blades is a real plus. It is a bit slower in cutting than a larger saw (one that has more HP and stroke length) but that allows for the precision I wanted. Proxxon recommends mounting it to another board or the bench but I haven't found that necessary thus far. No scroll saw is great at ripping long parallel pieces and the Proxxon is no different (owners manual mentions this) - most don't have a rip fence even though the Proxxon does. When used within its capabilities this is a great little saw.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome scroll Saw, August 14, 2009
The Proxxon scroll saw is very small but with big performance. I use it to cut exotic hardwoods and parts for ship models. I have used larger scroll saws and the Proxxon is the easiest to use and to setup. Did I mention price? And service? both receive 5 stars. If you are thinking of a scroll saw, The proxxon might be for you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Saw But Watch Out!, October 9, 2013
The saw seems to be a nice little unit; seems well built and durable...But I would alert any potential buyers to check out their saw as soon as it arrives...The unit I received was obviously a refurbished item...Still had some sawdust in the cabinet! The work table was scratched and the on/off switch had obvious use...The included blades were in an envelope that had been opened...I returned the saw at once...Amazon was very apologetic and processed my refund instantly, but there is no excuse for sending out used products advertised as new...I have seen some comments in other reviews for other Proxxon products mentioning this same situation...I might try ordering the saw again, but once burned, etc....

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Little Sroll-Saw, February 14, 2012
This is a nice compact unit that can be disassembled and put back in the box for storage quite easily and quickly.

The written instructions are poor and it took me too long to figure out how to insert and setup the blade. The saw can be adjusted for different blade lengths and has index marks for them, but the markings made no sense to me and the instructions were completely useless. I just went with common sense and it worked fine.

This saw does not use tabbed blades and changing them or removing the top end to insert blind work is pretty inconvenience and tedious. However, it does the job once you get used to it.

I initially used the saw to cut polycarbonate plastic about 1/8" thick. I used the slowest speed and it worked very well. Having a rip fence helped keep the work going straight.

I would rate this tool as a 5 if it had better instructions and a less tedious blade removal/insertion method.

I also have the table saw made by Proxon and it, too, is a nice compact tool. Its instructions also are poor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 1, 2014
great little saw !!!

3.0 out of 5 stars its a cool little saw, May 23, 2014
It seems good for the $. Changing the blades is a little funky. I bought it for cutting sheet metal, it does pretty good.I wish there was more adjustments for the blades.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suitable for my needs, February 15, 2014
This is the first scroll saw I've owned. I wanted one for cutting small parts from various materials and it hasn't let me down. The blade change is kind of a hassle until you get the hang of it. I'm more than satisfied with it so far.

Proxxon 37088 Scroll Saw DS 115/E, Colors may Vary