Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 10, 2006
I loved this book. I picked it up after seeing it listed in Entertainment Weekly as one of their summer picks. I read it almost all the way through in one sitting. It's a page turner. It's really very funny and brutally honest. I've never been that into psychics but I could really relate to Sarah's fears about her future and why she'd get hooked on wanting to know what's around the bend. It reads like smart chicklit with the bonus of being a true story. I look forward to a sequel!

It's a fun read and I highly recommend it.
on July 10, 2006
The agony of the addiction in Psychic Junkie alarmed me, but I found I couldn't put it down as I too was developing a great need to find out what the future held for Sarah! The honesty and humor with which the writer tells this story kept my heart as well as my mouth open. Savoring Sardar's skill with words throughout, I totally indulged my appetite for a good story in which the truth finally is empowering. One need not be psychic to predict the impact of this book.
on July 12, 2006
This isn't my usual type of reading matter but I wanted some light reading for my summer tanning sessions. The hot pink cover spoke to me from the table of new releases and I couldn't resist. I was pleasantly surprised by how much fun this book was to read. I've had my own experiences with psychics and they have been mostly negative although nothing close to what Sarah endured in this painfully funny story. Also I was quite impressed by the writing which I found to be exceptional for this chicklit/memoir genre. I agree with another reviewer about the ending which I found uplifting and very real.
on June 28, 2006
Great summer read. i read in three days. it's totally refreshing brutally honest and (though i feel bad laughing so hard through the tale of this girl's hardship) VERY funny. glamour and grit. sarah lassez is brave to put it all out like this especially given all the facades and pretense of her industry.

after reading i went and rented some of the movies she talks about being in. surprised to see she's a really good actress. she'll probably be totally famous soon. then i want to read the book about how she handles that. hehe.
on July 9, 2006
This book arrived promptly from Amazon, just as I was leaving my house for some Saturday activities. I stopped long enough to open the box and start a quick scan of the book. Suffice it to say that I was a bit late getting to my appointments -- I fell into the book, and only reluctantly put it down. It stands as a clever, fast-paced turn on negotiating the bizarre terrain of post-millenium relationships, work and life in general. I greatly enjoyed the way language is used -- conversations are depicted with wonderful realism, and the metaphors used are memorably smart and funny. Many of the scenes are written so evocatively that they've stayed in my mind's eye, some lushly pleasant, some absolutely so hilarious that remembering them still makes me smile, and some intensely sad, but all vivid and believable.
For those who've felt the magnetic pull of what psychics offer, and the potential for, or reality of, a nightmarish fall into dependency, (the narrative nails that world spot on!), this book will be the friendly knock on the door beckoning you out of your closet, brushing off the pall of shame at such an addiction, and inviting you into honest, open daylight. A number of scenes in the book give an empathetic look at the stress and wrenching dilemmas faced by the "psychic's" perspective, too, without glossing over the realities of the transaction.
Because of the nature of my employment, I have limited time to do any non-job-related reading, so I choose books carefully. This book was well worth the time and, in fact, I plan on going back for a second reading, like reconnecting with a charming pal.
on July 10, 2006
If you want a good laugh then get this book. It's also a really honest account of the crazy things we do in relationships. I saw so much of myself in Sarah and I especially loved the ending. So many books and films these days seem to enforce the idea that we are all waiting for "the one" and that there's something wrong with us if we're single. When I read the chapter called Internet Warfare I almost went into convulsions. My roommate thought I was choking to death. A brave, honest and fascinating book. I'd never heard about psychic addiction before although it doesn't surprise me. I'm actually surprised this subject has never been written about before. Read it! You won't be sorry. My roommate is laughing now. She wanted to see what the fuss was about and snatched the book away from me the moment I finished. (she's a psychic junkie I think)
on January 26, 2007
Thank you Sarah for your honest account of life in psychic bondage. There really are only a handful of true ethical psychics in the world but the ones encountered in this memoir were not them. People often go to a psychic in desperation and probably on some level, wanting to have assurance or control over the outcomes of events. Sarah was seeking psychic solace because she wanted to have hope in her life. The sad fact is, no psychic is 100%, and sadly most who claim to be psychic are not. They are people with intuition and empathic ability instead of a true psychic. A true psychic does not collude with you. They will tell you what you don't want to hear because their ethics will keep you in reality. A true psychic will guide you with instructions that can energetically support you towards manifesting your heart's desires. They won't be the work for you nor can their words magically cause it into being. And most of all, you have a choice whether to believe or trust it and keep your head in check. The true litmus test of any psychic is time. Over time, predictions that comes true in their essence (forget the form), are the hallmark of a real psychic. Even the best psychics cannot be 100% accurate on the timing and how an exact reality will unfold. It is best that when you find the one person whom you trust, and has proven their skills, stick only to them and don't have readings more than once in 18 to 22 months. Anything more is an addiction to readings.

In Sarah's case, she was giving her power over to what really were sidewalk intuitive and empathic con artists at best. These people were able to tune into what her emotions wanted rather than real precognition. They told her what she wanted to hear because they picked up on her dreams rather than future probabilities. Sarah was in the equivalent of a spiritual bondage and lost faith in herself in the process. The good thing is that she came to her senses and stopped. This is something to read before you see a reader. And remember ... if what they say doesn't feel right ... it probably is wrong. But really, don't get too attached to their words, just keep note of them and then allow events to unfolds while doing your part instead of wishful thinking. Sarah has done consumers a world of service with this book.
on July 20, 2006
What a great story Sarah Lassez has to tell! I couldn't put this book down. I wanted to see what happened next and the ending was just perfect! I can't wait to see Sarah on the "Big Screen" - hopefully soon! I look forward to whatever Sarah does next!
on July 29, 2006
I'm only half way through this book and I'm buying it for all of my friends and sending it across the country. The content of this story is so equally relatable and addicting at the same time that the book delivers in spades on what it's trying to tell us: The control you take over your own life is the only destiny that awaits you. I'm in my mid-thirties and can not count how many times I was in Sarah's place, looking for all of the answers to what was ahead of me in every other corner except for my own. To be able to laugh at this woman's story helped me realize I had to forgive myself for so many of my own attempts at handing over all of my personal power to anyone who would take it. I love this book!!!!!!!!!!!!
on September 24, 2006
On finishing her hilarious, gripping, poignant memoir, I immediately ordered all her movies from Amazon (and unlike the fortunes she spent on dozens of psychics, the cost of my bingeing will be, happily, or, rather, sadly, all too modest due to her too small filmography). Her descent into a near-insane addiction to psychics to help cope with a disastrous love life and moribund career is written, ironically, in a clear-eyed manner that affirms her fortunate return to mental health, happiness, and peace at book's end. The story of her harrowing journey and her lessons in the healing power of self-reliance, humor, and faith in life's infinite possibilitiess offers excellent therapy for anyone suffering from any addiction.