4.0 out of 5 stars About as behind the scenes as you can get
Published on September 7, 2000 by James Nemeth

2.0 out of 5 stars VERY DISAPPOINTING
Published 21 months ago by SLAPPYWAG1

4.0 out of 5 stars About as behind the scenes as you can get, September 7, 2000
This review is from: Psycho: Behind the Scenes of the Classic Thriller (Hardcover)
Psycho: Behind The Scenes of the Classic Thriller is a book a lot of people have been waiting a long time for. Janet Leigh provides a detailed, behind-the-scenes look at almost all the aspects of the filming of Hitchcock's masterpiece. She provides stories and anecodotes as well as remembrances of others connected with the picture, including rare words from John Gavin. It's written in a memoir style, with Ms. Leigh discussing aspects as they occur to her, which is refreshing. Importantly, she also sets straight many of the rumors and misinformation surrounding this movie over the years (DID Hitchcock or someone else film the famous shower scene)? A wonderful book on the making of a classic. You'll enjoy it if you're a huge fan of the movie, Ms. Leigh, Hitchcock or just filmmaking in general. My only complaint of the book is the fact that it weighs in at under 200+ pages, thus I felt the price was a little on the high side. Well worth the price in the end, however.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Encyclopedia Brittanica of "Psycho", May 19, 2000
As an admirer of the work of actress Janet Leigh and a fan of the director that was Hitchcock, it only seems fitting that someone with the know-how of Ms. Leigh could create a book that not only is a font of insights into the classic film that is "Psycho", but also a fitting tribute to the legend of Hitchcock.
With co-author Christopher Nickens, Ms. Leigh takes you through the various stages of events that made up the phenomenon of "Psycho". She takes you through the brainstorming of the picture, casting, the brilliant editing and photography that Hitchcock wanted to create with his film--everything you could ever want to know or had been curious about. With thorough research that included interviews with cast and crew members, and many photos, some from the personal collection of Ms. Leigh, the reader gets a sense of what creates a masterpiece that has reached such a cult status. Ironically enough, when the film first came out, it wasn't the critical success it is now.
For an admirer of the film itself, the work of Ms. Leigh or Mr. Hitchcock, or anyone with an interest in the art of movie making and what goes into creating a classic, this book has it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Attention Psycho-philes!, April 2, 2000
To the massive wealth of writings on Hitchcock and his most influential film, add this slender but invaluable piece by the movie's star, Janet Leigh. By now everyone knows that Leigh hasn't taken a shower since she met Norman's mother "out on the old highway," but this book is filled with many other tidbits -- like Hitch refusing to use expensive costumes for his star, but instead insisting on cheap outfits from a discount store (to match the character's profile!); and the fact that in the famous roadside scene with the highway cop, Leigh was never on location; her scenes were filmed in the studio and blended seamlessly with location footage involving the cop. For Psycho fans, this book is a MUST.

4.0 out of 5 stars The making of Pyscho in the words of it's (short-lived) heroine, June 16, 2014
I found this to be an entertaining read but nowhere as revealing as I'd hoped. It seems Ms. Leigh wasn't on the set long enough to give us a complete portrait of what happened. The value of this book, to me, was Janet's discussions of the aftermath of the film and how that affected her. I walked away from this wanting more but, as a Psycho fan, this is a valuable book nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars a good read!, May 14, 2014
I found it quite interesting about all the behind-the-scenes info and the way it was written was very easy to follow. My husband and I had just recently introduced our 16 year old to the magic of Hitchcock by watching "Pyscho". Needless to say she enjoyed the movie and I am hoping I can get her to read this very good and yet personal accounts of Janet Leigh's memories of that time with "Hitch".
Thanks for the prompt service and delivery! I was pleasantly surprised that it got here so fast!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read..., June 16, 2013
The Rebello book on the making of "Psycho" has more information than this text, but the Leigh book brings interesting insight into what the experience of shooting the film was like from Leigh's point of view. I would highly recommend this book for true fans of the film to put next to their copy of Rebello's wonderful book. It was a truly enjoyable read.

2.0 out of 5 stars VERY DISAPPOINTING, February 27, 2013
This is one of those types of books that fade away the moment one has reached the last page. I was hoping that it would have a wealth of stories of the making of this iconic movie but it was among the dullest books I've ever read. It took me all of a single day to read. It's fluff. The writing is really poor. I never got any incite into Hitchcock or the filmmaking process. I bought this just after watching the terrible Anthony Hopkins Hitchcock film and hoped the actual star of the film (well a quarter at least) would have something new to add. Nothing. I just tossed the book aside and regret wasting the money on the purchase. I should have tried to track it down at a library. It's waste of time regardless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insider tells what really happened, November 7, 2012
I read this book when it first came out, I was fascinated by Ms. Leigh's comments...so much so because I was teaching a class in American Film History and I shared many of her comments w/my classes...a side-note...I could only select ONE film from each director in a one semester class...the difficult challenge for me w/Hitchcock was picking only one of his films [and not even my favorite]...I did not relay my opinion to my students: I simply said: this is perhaps the most FAMOUS of his films...but not his best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating look at Janet Leigh's most remembered film, July 27, 2009
Robert E. Gold (Whitestone, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this book, and I read it in one afternoon. Janet's love and admiration for
"Hitch" and Tony Perkins and for all associated with the film shines through.
She provides much insight into the film and how it was made and how many have been influenced by the film.

If you are a fan of the 1960 classic, this is a must read.

A small piece of trivia: I remember my mother told me that she was pregnant with me when the movie was released, and everyone warned her not to see the movie until much later. I am glad she waited!

Psycho: Behind the Scenes of the Classic Thriller
Psycho: Behind the Scenes of the Classic Thriller by Janet Leigh (Hardcover - May 16, 1995)
Used & New from: $2.07