4.0 out of 5 stars Elmore Wood Gang, November 15, 2012
Tsuyoshi (Kyoto, Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Psyren, Vol. 6 (Paperback)
The sixth installment of "Psyren," manga series by Toshiaki Iwashiro, is mostly about an episode of strange cases of Psionists stealing money from Japan's yakuza mafia. Kagetora, who was seen as our hero Ageha's training instructor, is hired to track down the perpetrators, but Kagetora's investigation uncovers more than he bargained for.

Like most comics of "shonen" (boys) magazines whose target readers are often young males, "Psyren" devotes considerable pages to action scenes, in this volume those of Psionists, people with different kinds of psychic powers or gifts. What is unique about this series is that kids are allowed to join the combat using their Psionic skills.

So the "Elmore Wood gang" (seen in the fourth volume) is back. Five children of the orphanage - Mari, Fredrika, Kyle, Van and Shad - are given chances to show what they can do in the comic's thrilling combat scenes that take up almost the second half of the book. The sixth volume starts rather slowly with Ageha and Sakurako taking a break (in a swimming pool), but once the story kicks into gear, the manga keeps its fast pace throughout. The book also gives us a few hints as to the origin of Psyren and the deadly game.

This is a nice read, a comic series with an interesting story and characters. And it does not take itself too seriously. Two bonus pages "Holiday Psyren" are pretty funny.

4.0 out of 5 stars A long delay, November 8, 2012
This review is from: Psyren, Vol. 6 (Paperback)
Having read the scanlations for Psyren ages ago, I already know I love this book. The few complaints I have are actually in the translations. Changing (what I consider) the iconic names of things bugs me a little. Switching 'Rise' to 'Enhance', and removing Kyle's trademark move, 'Material High'. It makes me worry if they're going to butcher any of the other psychic ability names further down the road...

I guess it really comes down to what you've read first. I really enjoyed the original fan translation (however wonky it might have been), so this version seems a little off. However, the core of the story is still intact, and it is a great read. I look forward to having this whole series in my collection (even if it's more than a year after the series finished running in Japan).

5.0 out of 5 stars Psyren, Vol.6, October 15, 2012
FLAME:
The secrets of Psyren are nothing compared to going up against a team of Psionists who've been using their power to steal from the Yakuza!Thankfully, Ageha's got the powerful kids from the Elmore Wood orphanage to help him.But they are just children. Will their help be enough?
Slade:
I love this series. I've bought every volume so far.Its a good action/adventure/sci-fi story if anybody likes that kind of story they should give it a chance ,they may love as much as I do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Psyren 6, October 13, 2012
This review is from: Psyren, Vol. 6 (Paperback)
Science/fantasy with a good blend of action and humor. I also like the undertone of suspense and occasional horror. And while a lot of manga/anime inject large doses of rambling philosophical and cosmological nonsense to justify the story, Psyren,thankfully, has kept that to a minimum. So, over all, a good, fun read.
Enjoy!

Psyren, Vol. 6
Psyren, Vol. 6 by Toshiaki Iwashiro (Paperback - September 4, 2012)
$9.99 $8.80