4.0 out of 5 stars Public Administration
Published on May 21, 2000 by tha

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult reading, very "wordy"
Published on December 14, 2006 by Love Literature

4.0 out of 5 stars Public Administration, May 21, 2000
Public Administration: Understanding Management, Politics, and Law in the Public Sector is a textbook that explicitly examines and explains the three major issues of public administration: management, politics, and law. It is an excellent text for advanced undergraduate or graduate students. In addition, this book identifies the differences in roles involved in public administration. For example, it describes the difference between the managerial and leadership roles in delivering public services. It discusses the traditional management style versus the New Public Management style in dealing with accountability on the part of administration, as well as the public.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Graduate Level Text, October 26, 2005
This was a required text book for one of the classes in my master of public administration program (MPA). I found it to be extremely useful for understanding both the historical evolution of public administration and the current practice. The emphasis on the (sometimes conflicting) managerial, legal, and political perspectives of each aspect of public administration works nicely if you are also learning the Hamiltonian, Madisonian, and Jeffersonian perspectives on the founding of the government. I always find it useful to understand and remember how things work if I get a good explanation of why it is so--this book does a good job of balancing the how/why.

It's not a text for the casual reader, but if you are a graduate student, plan to be (or already are) a public manager, or just want a thorough grounding in the theory and practice of public administration, this book will serve you well.

Since I know some students don't buy books on their syllabi for financial reasons or for stubbornness, my recommendation is to get the book. It also makes a great reference for the papers you'll have to write.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, November 23, 2014
Good book that came in good condition.

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult reading, very "wordy", December 14, 2006
This book was a required text for my PA course. It was very wordy and at times difficult to understand due to the repetitious content. I feel that there is probably a more straight forward style of writing than this one. Not for the student who is just beginning a public administration course, some back ground would be helpful if this text is to be used. However, it contains "Introduction" in its title. Well! I 'don't know about that? Great info, however, difficult reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars mosgt boring book ever., November 5, 2006
This is the most repetative book I have ever read. Just reading the intro to any chapter is all you really need, within the chaper, the author will state the exact same thing 3-5 times. I give it three starts because there is a lot of good information, it is just not well presented.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very bad copy and absolutely below the quality that was promised ..., September 8, 2014
Janine Wijenbergh (Morgan Hill, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This book is in a dire state!!! Parts of the book have been chewed on (dog?) and it is totally underlined and marked. Very bad copy and absolutely below the quality that was promised at time of purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars appreciate the credit!, January 20, 2009
V. Bress (Centennial, CO) - See all my reviews
The class was full and I emailed the seller immediately to refund or credit my account. He was quick and credited my account right away -- I really appreciate that!

I emailed the professor to be added to his class. He later responded and agreed to do so. I wish now that I didn't request to credit my account. Other used books are selling higher than he originally posted his. You snooze, you lose! I'm still grateful for the quick response and understanding. Thank you!