1,821 Reviews
 (1,056)

5.0 out of 5 stars Rest assured, this is the latest printing
Published on March 4, 2012 by clang_the_o

2.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE! Many pages of corrections have been issued!
Published on October 7, 2009 by Josie Wags

5.0 out of 5 stars Rest assured, this is the latest printing, March 4, 2012
This review is from: Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 6th Edition (Paperback)
I just want to put to rest some of the previous concerns about this being an outdated issue. I'm a doctoral student, so having the latest version of this manual is paramount to the success of my program. That being said, I researched whether or not I should purchase this manual from Amazon, and almost didn't given some of the past negative reviews. I went with my instincts, however, trusting that a major retailer like Amazon would always offer the latest printing of a given text.

Needless to say, I was right in doing so.

I ordered this book February 27, 2012, and according to the inside of my copy, this is the fifth printing (January 2011) of this book. Rest assured that if you order from Amazon, you're getting the latest copy of a terrific resource and at the best price available.

Book: five stars...a terrific resource for anyone writing in the APA style.
Amazon experience: five stars...don't worry guys, you're getting the most recent version.

I hope I have helped alleviate some of the concerns posted here. While getting the proper version of this book might've been a problem in the past, it is no longer an issue.

2.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE! Many pages of corrections have been issued!, October 7, 2009
I just received my copy. As a psychology professor, this text is required for my bookshelf--the same is true for students in this field. However, I was upset to learn that APA has already issued 7 typewritten pages of corrections to this manual, and they will not exchange the first printing for a newer print. This is a resource that you will use for years! Wait to purchase until the kinks have been ironed out and they are on a second or third printing of the manual! I am also disappointed that they do not clearly delineate the changes from the 5th edition. It looks to me that there are few important changes (2 spaces between sentences, etc.). Save your money for at least a few more months!

1.0 out of 5 stars Greatly Disappointed, October 14, 2009
I was very irritated to find that many errors existed in the 6th edition. I also contacted APA regarding the errors. They are not going to exchange the book for a corrected edition. They made several lame excuses for the errors and for not replacing it. My second email to APA pointedly expressed my displeasure with their stance - copied below...

To have grammar and writing errors in a book about grammar and writing is shameful. How much does your organization really care about the reputation it is presenting? Do you have editors reviewing your works before publication? Are your editors paying attention to their work? If you cannot hold yourself to the standards you have set out in your own publication, then your publications should not exist!

If you need this book, demand a corrected reprinting! If you are a university, you also demand a corrected reprint. This organization should not set standards they are not going to comply with. I give them an "F"

Update: 3 months after submitting my complaint to APA I received a letter stating that a reprint was in the works and that anyone who bought the edition with all the mistakes would have a short time span to return it, without charge and postage covered, for the corrected addition. My faith was somewhat restored in the power of honest critical reviews.

Update 2: received the corrected version and all the mistakes I found in the 6th ed. have been corrected. their book now gets a "B" but the organization still gets a "C" for the "holier than thou attitude".

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning to Used Book Buyers: Be Very Careful, First Edition Highly Flawed!, October 20, 2009
John D. Foubert (Edmond, OK United States) - See all my reviews
Do not buy the first printing of the APA manual, 6th edition under any circumstances. There are errors on eighty (80) of its pages. How outrageous for a manual on writing style! As of 10/20/09, APA refused to exchange their error full copies with corrected second printings. Despite the fact that the list of errors goes on for 7 pages, the Editorial Director of APA books stated "there are no errors that impede using the manual with full confidence." Many of the errors are in the sample papers -- a part of the manual so many of us use as an important reference. The abuse of power that APA is wielding over students required to purchase this book for classes, along with graduate students and professors who must write in this style for journals is alarming. APA goes on to state that with its 80 pages of errors in this edition that "it is within my control, as a true expert who has been intimately involved with each stage of this project, to verify for you without hesitation that the first printing is correct, accurate, and fully functional." As a Professor, when I grade papers, I say to my students that 3 APA errors will get them docked 1/2 a letter grade. If I were to grade this APA manual, it would not only get an F, there aren't enough letters in the alphabet to go low enough for the number of errors it contains. Meanwhile, APA is happy to take everyone's money for the book they know we all have to purchase in so many fields of study.

A formal boycott of this edition successfully led to a second printing in which the errors were corrected. As long as you order a new copy, not a used one, you should be safe. If you buy a used copy, make sure that you do not get a first edition -- it is a complete waste of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars All is well, January 10, 2010
Given all the emotional responses around the mistakes in the new edition, I was worried about ordering my copy. However, it just arrived, and as promised, it's the corrected version (the second printing) of the 6th edition. The changes to the style included in the manual are an improvement, particularly in the way electronic resources are cited. Additionally, the organization of this edition is better. Overall, I'm pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars "THE" APA Manual - Extremely Useful but not an Easy Read, May 6, 2002
First things first. This is "THE" APA Manual. You will be using this if you are writing any academic papers in the social sciences - period. Like most manuals of style, it is extremely insightful in many ways, and just as idiosyncratic in others. Oh, and it is not an easy read. *Get over it!* If you are opening this book for the first time anytime within 90 days of your due date, you've got bigger problems, trust me!
The 4th edition is somewhat changed from the 3rd edition, and the 5th edition is little changed from the 4th, so the economist in me says that it pays to buy the less expensive and just as useful 4th edition.
In conclusion, this is actually a useful book, though it is less than optimally organized and not exactly a page-turner. Still, if you are in the social sciences, you have to use it, and use it you will. Get past all the "my gawd, I can't believe how fast 5 years flew by, I'm out of extensions and all of a sudden my paper is due" frustrations. Get a copy, learn how to use it and use it well - just like you've done with a million other less than user-friendly, yet essential references.
Good luck!

3.0 out of 5 stars The APA Style and Format Scavenger Hunt, March 20, 1998
By A Customer
Problem: You are a student or professional of the Social Sciences; you must write research papers. You are required to follow APA style and format for your writings. Action: You acquire the APA "bible," its Publication Manual, 4h edition. Problem: You now search for answers to your APA style and format questions. You scavenge for hours. Action: You know that the information you need is all there, but where? You experience the Psychological Rite of Passage known as the "Twilight Zone of Altered States of Reference Logic." Problem: The Manual is not intuitive. Solution: Develop your own cognitive cues and frames to make sense of the book's layout. Even though I was familiar with its third edition, I still used lots of post-it stick-em things temporarliy attached to sections. And then get on with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than previous editions..., August 18, 2009
Jessica F (Fairfield, CT United States) - See all my reviews
Easier to read with a lot less pages. The 6th edition is a mere 272 pages vs. a whopping 439 pages in the 5th edition. This improves its portability and lap-use. ( I never could understand why a book that insists on 1 inch margins all around used 1.5 inch margin on the outer margins and left so much wasted unused space on the pages).

Material has been streamlined to reflect more of the electronic resources currently being used and the more obscure material has been consolidated. The newly added chapters on ethics, the publication process and journal article reporting standards are quite helpful. Some reviewers complained about the elimination of the chapters on writing for publication. Since each journal has it's own specific criteria for manuscript submission, I don't consider this a huge loss. Still has lots of sample for various references (and even includes video blog sources like you-tube) and information on how to display data results (Including radiologic and imaging data like MRI images)

So glad I bought the newest version, especially since it's currently half the price of the old version and a lot more user friendly and up to date. If you required to use the APA style, I strongly suggest buying this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Software Help Available, November 9, 1998
By A Customer
Hillysun.com offers software compatible with MS Word V6 that automates the formatting of APA papers. The Manual is still handy to have, but the software, FormatEase, saves a lot of time!

5.0 out of 5 stars I got the second printing!, January 20, 2010
I was nervous about ordering this because of the problems with the first printing, but I just got my copy from Amazon today (January 20) and it is indeed the second printing. Thanks!

Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 6th Edition
Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 6th Edition by American Psychological Association (Paperback - July 15, 2009)
$29.95 $24.56