5.0 out of 5 stars REVIEW
This book is great. I'm not even finshed with it yet and already I've learned a lot. It's full of usefull tips that I never learned in school. It is a wlecome contrast to the many industry books that show you lot of examples but no explanations for the principles behind the design. I would highly recommend this book.
Published on March 20, 2006 by Denise K. Cope

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs a Glossary
As an introduction to publication design the book is good.

Published on June 17, 2006 by Reader from Belgium

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs a Glossary, June 17, 2006
This review is from: Publication Design Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Designing Magazines, Newspapers, and Newsletters (Hardcover)
As an introduction to publication design the book is good.

The only criticism I have is that there is no glossary or even an index. There are some places in the book where a term is introduced before it's been described so at times I was wondering if I'd missed something. The term is eventually described, usually a couple of paragraphs or sometimes pages later, so if you're not reading the book from beginning to end it can be difficult to find the place where a term is described.

The book does not offer an exhaustive treatment of design principles and I will buy other books to learn more, but it's been a helpful introduction.

5.0 out of 5 stars REVIEW, March 20, 2006

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but..., June 26, 2006
benp (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
As with other books by Samara (e.g. Typography Workbook), this one is filled with beautiful and relevant examples. My only gripe would be that... the type used for the main text is too light and hard to read! - which kind of contradicts the subject? :-/

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Real-World Examples, October 14, 2006
I blame Amazon for this horrible problem I have with buying gillions of design books...most are good references but not really day-2-day tools and inspiration...in my lastest order, got this book and RIGHT AWAY I was stoked with the samples and the dogma presented. YIPPEE!

Used & New from: $54.74