Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Fall Denim Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all furious7 furious7 furious7  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage Assassin's Creed Syndicate Shop Now Deal of the Day

Kindle has been a revolutionary device when it comes to reading books. However, it is also, albeit more slowly, changing the way that books are published. Thanks to the zero cost of publishing electronic books almost anyone who has something to write about can now write a book of their own. The only aspects of the publishing process that still need to be outsourced are the access to a distribution network and a way to collect payment for the books that are sold. Fortunately, the Kindle Store provides a way of elegantly and effectively solving both of those issues, and this very short documents explains how this can be accomplished. This document is more of a step-by-step easy to understand and follow how-to guide rather than a full-fledged introduction to publishing with on Kindle store. Most of the material could be figured out just by going to Amazon's website, but it's useful to have it in a self-contained and accessible form. There are a few points that I think are important to keep in mind if you are interested in publishing on Amazon:

* Your book needs to be in an HTML format. This may exclude some more complex and technical works that are not easily converted into HTML.

* If you are only publishing your book in online Amazon Kindle store you will not get and ISBN, which may or may not be an issue when you try to promote your book.

* Your book will be subjected to Amazon's internal review, so publication is not automatic.

* Amazon will take either 30% or 65% royalty cut, depending on the size of your book and the price that you charge for it.

* If you are publishing your book from outside of the US Amazon will also withhold about 30% of all royalty payments for tax purposes.

As I mentioned already, this is just the barest-bones introduction to publishing in Kindle Store. For more elaborate explanation and tips on how to publish your books this way you may need to look elsewhere. There are a few books out there that deal with this and if you are serious about publishing books directly to Kindle I would recommend taking a look at one of these other publications.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have published an e-book on Kindle through Amazon, and although I had tried another e-book publishing company, it is much easier to publish on Amazon Kindle and this book succinctly takes you through all of the steps in a simple and complete manner. I found it invaluable if you are going to publish for Kindle.
on September 30, 2010
How-to-do-it books come in 3 modes: super technical, sloppy, and helpful.
This book is in the third categoary. It has straight forward instructions and explanations.
I should know. I spent several years myself writing software manuals.
I also just published my first ebook on Amazon.

For ebook authors, "Publish" is a must.
Thanks for making it so easy, Amazon.

The Rose Killer
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 16, 2012
As a previously traditionally published author I can better appreciate this simplified process.
Background - My first novel (Serial Separation) took months to complete the publication process. Much communication and expense was involved.
Kindle process - Although I heard that loading a novel was going to be time consuming regarding formatting etc., It only took an initial load to see how the format of Scent of Gardenia looked, and then one final load with the formatting changed in Word.
I have, and strongly recommend, this book to anyone who wants to understand and potentially publish using the KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) process.
To make this review complete I would suggest the following in your Word document -
Double Space, set page width to be 6" x 9", No indents, Page break only after chapter endings, Times New Roman 12 PT., and in the file save process (save a backup) but save the Word document as WEB PAGE, FILTERED. My underestanding is that removes all of the special Word document formats. That HTML file (don't panic) is the file to upload to the Kindle process.
Having written manuals in the past - this document was a help. I opened this instruction document while I did each step in Amazon. Read that document BEFORE you attempt to do the actual process.
Dick C Waters (this is offered only as a suggestion - I am not responsible for any problems.) Please check out my two novels, and the other two to be published soon.
(Please ignore the "Mercedes" in the reviewed by as she's just a character in the novel, which you won't ignore at all if you read the two novels)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This kindle book contains the same information as the simplistic walkthrough on the KDP site.

While this is a free title, and as such has lesser expectations than a book you would actually pay for, the lack of information is saddening, given that the source is Amazon itself.

This book in its entirety deals only with the business aspects of getting your book published through the site, and touches on how to actually create the book only by linking to various places on the web.

Being someone who is interested in creating books for the Amazon Kindle, there is much that I would like to see in a book from the source about how to create a book that is only available through the forums, and not in an official source.

The Kindle is a wonderful device, with great potential. I would like official information on how to make the most of the platform. As it is, we are given all the information we need on the business side of things, and set to fend for ourselves on figuring out the rest of Amazon's platform.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 17, 2011
This Book is a must for anyone who wishes to learn the insides and the outs
of writing and publishing their own e-book. It is a step-by-step Guide for DTP Formatting and HLML
Manuscripts to Publication which is a breeze when you follow the Guide. With a finished Manuscript,
it takes about a half hour to Publish. I recommend it!
on May 7, 2012
This book is ok for creating a book for the Kindle ereader, but the "Building your book for Kindle" is much better as it is more informative. Both are free from Amazon, so why not treat yourself and get the better volume?
on September 25, 2010
This book is OK for a brief overview of how to publish for Kindle but skimps on information about how to (legitimately) avoid the 30% withholding tax by non-US residents. Also, the links provided in the book do not work anymore. I had to do Google search to find the information I wanted to know.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 20, 2012
If you have any idea of wanting to publish on Kindle--this is a GREAT guide to do it.....I followed all the steps to a tee and got three books published in a very short time. Explanations and diagrams are exact! Thanks for a great book.
on February 21, 2013
I am thinking of publishing a book. This may definitely help. But should have more updates information.
Arafat, zonoiko using sahin"s kindle