Publisher sets the prices, not amazon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 24, 2011 10:36:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2011 10:37:25 PM PST
RubyRocks says:
I'm going to post this in the hopes that this will prevent hundreds of misguided one star reviews complaining that the kindle price needs to be lowered. It won't, but I can hope.

Amazon does not control the ebook prices. Let me repeat that: AMAZON DOES NOT CONTROL THE EBOOK PRICES.

The publishers do. In the past amazon has tried very hard to get the prices lowered but they were told in no uncertain terms that if they didn't go by the prices that were set by the publishers, the publishers would yank the ebooks off of amazon. That means that amazon would not have any ebooks to sell at all. Penguin actually did yank their ebooks off of the kindle, causing amazon to capitulate to their demands. Why did they give in? Because they were losing sales and other publishers were starting to threaten to do the same thing. This means that there would be no ebooks for the kindle at all and the kindle users would lose out on thousands of books.

I know that initially amazon promised lower ebook prices but the fact is that they were forced to raise the prices by the publishing companies. Why the publishing companies waited that long to throw a fit and didn't contact amazon earlier on is anyone's guess. You will not get any of the ebooks on amazon any cheaper anywhere else unless you steal them or get them from a library that does ebooks.

Rather than post a million one star reviews, we should all be writing to complain to the publishers rather than complaining on here. Complaining on amazon does nothing. You need to contact the publishers instead. Amazon is a retailer but in the end complaining to them is like complaining about canned goods in the middle of a grocery store- they can't help the prices that the manufacturers set.

It's not just amazon- you can't use your Barnes and Noble discount cards on ebooks either for the exact same reasons.

Posted on Mar 4, 2011 1:07:01 PM PST
Of course, the publisher sets the price. But, really, the Kindle edition costs more than the hardcover? Really?!? I guess they don't mind if I don't buy the book at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2011 2:03:56 PM PST
I bought an I pad to read books but at this rate I will go back to my $5.99 paperbacks at Walmart...its a shame that the prices are so high...it does not take all that effort to put it on Kindle/e-books shame on them for getting more than the hardcover/paperback! I can't afford to buy them...and they won't allow us to share unless we are on the same account!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2011 11:04:31 PM PST
N. Bowlin says:
I will not be minipulated into purchasing an overpriced book! My money, we are retired and on a fixed salary, is spent carefully and I will not be railroaded into purchaing an overpriced book by price gouging! I have moved on to other writers that have not raised prices on the people that were purchasing their books and got gready! You spend less creating, printing, dispensing, an "ebook" than a hardback. So, as for me, you can keep your book and I will purchase books that are more inline with the price we were promised and even delivered for a short time. Keep your books my friends. I can find rind a prolific writer that I enjoy, infact found a writer that has a hero that is great! The first book was free and then she caught us with her second book. Her third book will be out in July so we wait for her. And She appreciated my purchases. "Good books well written". That is what it is all about! Laurel Dewey, Author/ one of her books: "Protector" at http://www.amazon.com for free.
Here is the gut-wrenching, heartrending story of hard-bitten Denver homicide detective Jane Perry and nine-year-old Emily Lawrence. Emily has witnessed the murder of her parents ? murders authorities believe have ties to a larger wave of crime. But Emily can't recall a thing about the killings. Good Read!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2011 11:06:07 PM PST
N. Bowlin says:
Family members you trust, can share books. Their names can be put on your account. My Daughter and I do it and it works but she is totally trust worthy!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 4:46:18 AM PST
I will look her up...thank you!!!!! We are also on a fixed income isn't everyone these days...thanks for the tip!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2011 12:23:46 PM PDT
N. Bowlin says:
I will continue not to purchase books from the Authors that have allowed the price "gouging" of the customers! I think that it is horrible. Do not tell me that they have no control over the prices of their books.

So, for the past year I have purchased no books from Authors that have allowed this to happen. There are thousands of other books on the market and because of their greed; I have found other Authors that are wonderful. I probably would not have discovered them but now I am happy that I have gone outside of my usual reading pattern. So, they can gouge the people that are not as selective as I have become as well as a number of other people that feel the same way I do!

Enjoy your ill gained profits from people that are willing to be treated this way. I will continue to purchase my books from Amazon and will continue to purchase the books from Publishers that are not so greedy.

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 10:38:36 AM PDT
Terrell says:
The authors don't have a lot of control over the pricing either, and don't receive much of the book price. Which is why more authors have started to self-publish on Amazon and SmashWords - was reading an article by an author who turned down a half-million dollar advance and self-published instead.

As a poet, I have to self publish either way, there's not enough demand for a print publisher. Checked into a POD service. Would have had to charge $9 for a small poetry book just to break even. By publishing for the Kindle and other devices through Amazon and SmashWord, I can sell the same book for $.99 and still make $.30 apiece.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2011 3:15:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 4, 2011 3:18:31 AM PDT
N. Bowlin says:
I have to disagree with you. I went into Costco and Sam's Club looking at the prices of their books. There is less than $1 difference in E-books and I refuse to purchase from an Author/Publisher that insist on price gouging just because we have an electronic reading device. In a hard copy of their books they pay printing costs, paper costs, distribution costs, shipping costs, stocking fees, waste of materials on the environment, etc. . . when I purchase an E-book there should be a substantial savings. I am sure that there is a great reason why this is happening. It is economics. The printing companies, paper companies, distrubution companies, shipping companies, stocking clerks etc . . . there has to be pressure from Unions. So, I will not purchase books from the Publishers that have made a choice to price gouge! I say that Authors negotiate their prices, Authors like Patterson have my clout than you might believe.

I have found hundreds of books that I otherwise would not have taken the time to read and found to my enjoyment. James Patterson (only one of the authors) allowing his books to be used this way will not get my money.

Venture out there and find Authors that you might otherwise have missed, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Posted on May 4, 2011 12:12:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2011 12:14:20 PM PDT
IamMams says:
I was given a Kindle as a Christmas gift two years ago ... I LOVED it! I'm a life-long, inverate reader who carries a book everywhere. So the ease of carrying the Kindle in a purse plus prices at $9.99 or less was a real boon. Like many of you, I've been sorely disappointed to see the price of the Kindle edition of many books rise to $12.99 and above ... often more expensive than buying the actual book! Now that I'm retired and on a fixed income, I've decided to stop buying books I'm really interested in reading and opting for purchasing less expensive books or ... when I run out of something new to read ... going back to reading hard copy books in my library. Now that I realize that it is the publishers who are gouging the public, in spite of the fact that they MUST be saving a great deal of money on raw material purchases, I will avoid buying ebooks from those publishers and wait until I can find the hard copy book on sale. I carried the heavier hard and paperback books for over 50 years ... I can do it again!

Posted on May 22, 2011 3:12:49 AM PDT
It is simplistic, bordering on stupid, to excuse Amazon buy claiming that the publishers set the price.
Duh. Both the authors and Amazon must share the blame for this crime of gouging.
1. Where are the publishers going to sell their ebooks if not on Amazon? Any business which has tried to sell to a huge chain can tell you that the mass retailer has the upper hand. Amazon could easily dictate price to the publishers.
2. Massive best seller writers similarly could put a stop to price gouging, if they had the balls and especially if they banded together. Some top rock groups for eg have released product directly to the internet.

It would only take Patterson or somebody at his level of sales to threaten to release one book directly to the internet, for free, for the publishers to cave in.

So, don't let Amazon off the hook. Damn any author who is complicit. Continue to write one star reviews.

Don't fall for these 'publisher sets the prices' comments, written by Amazon employees.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2011 2:22:56 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
"1. Where are the publishers going to sell their ebooks if not on Amazon? Any business which has tried to sell to a huge chain can tell you that the mass retailer has the upper hand. Amazon could easily dictate price to the publishers."

Spoken like someone who hasn't really paid attention to what happened after the agency model went into place. Do you know what happened when amazon tried to fight it? Publishers pulled the books from the kindle store (i believe penguin and McMillan did). Kindle customers cried bloody murder because they wanted their books available for purchase. They wanted the choice of whether or not to pay the higher price of the book.

Publishers didn't care about amazon fighting, they pulled their books. Amazon is not some omnipotent force that can make publishers bend to their will. If amazon didn't sell their ebooks, then BN, SONY, BRODERS, KOBO, and iBooks would---and, people would still buy paperback or hardcovers from amazon.

Posted on May 23, 2011 11:11:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2011 11:19:27 AM PDT
IamMams says:
Well, when you get right down to it, it's not the publisher, the author or the distributor who really determines price ... ultimately it's the consumer. When the public decides its had enough and stops purchasing a product because the price has become ridiculous, it's amazing how quickly prices return to something more reasonable. But that's not something the consumer is often willing to do ... we want what we want and when we want it and, as long as we can come up with the money, we'll buy it no matter what the price. Those who manufacture or provide a service will almost always charge as much as the market will bear.

We have shown, through our purchases, how much we ebook readers love the product ... publishers, authors and distributors have heard us and seen that we've become a captive audience in a relatively short period of time. They are providing a really nice serice that we WANT, not NEED. Now they're going to do their thing and make as much money as possible (before someone invents something even better) at our expense and, as usual, we'll complain but we'll let them.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 4:49:04 AM PDT
Avid Reader says:
I don't buy your line. Amazon capitulated and accepted the agency model almost immediately. And it makes sense that it would - no one profited more from it than Amazon. They used to pay 50% of sticker price and sold for $9.99. Most books sold for more than $20 so they lost money on almost every ebook for mass market books. Now even if a publisher sets the price at $9.99 - rare - Amazon makes $3 a book.

Having built market share with $9.99 - and with many Kindle owners having paid $200 or more not only for convenience but for saving on books - Amazon capitulated quicker than the French in WWII. It must pain them soooooo much to have $5 per unit profit swings.

Yes, publishers now set the price. But Amazon quickly agreed to that model because they wanted the greater profits. They threw their customers - especially earlier adopters - under the bus.

Posted on May 24, 2011 4:52:14 AM PDT
I went back to reading paperback books...the e-i and nook books are too costly!

Posted on May 25, 2011 3:48:22 PM PDT
I loved my KINDLE THAT MY son gave me for Xmas. The prices were great before and I hope they will be again.

Posted on May 30, 2011 11:28:31 AM PDT
When an e-book was $9.99 it was a fair deal. The publishers are going to find that most of us will wait till their books go to paperback pricing. Which means that for Amazon if they then have the volume for $9.99 when the paperback runs $7.99 things will be problematic. There is plenty to read out there in the e-book market for $10 or less until the greed of publishers is influenced by those of how won't put up with their approach. Amazon - get on board the value of what you offer is in the content not the gadget!

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2011 11:55:59 AM PDT
N. Bowlin says:
I agree totally. I refuse to pay those prices

Posted on May 31, 2011 8:34:25 AM PDT
Why not just buy a used book; that way no resources are being wasted, no publisher benefits, and Amazon gets less of a profit share?

Posted on Jun 5, 2011 6:45:50 PM PDT
A. Erdman says:
Much as I love reading books on my IPad, I refuse to pay more than the old "high" price of $9.99. If I have to go back to the library for the newer books, I will! Otherwise, I'll wait for the prices to come down when the book has been out long enough!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2011 6:53:08 PM PDT
N. Bowlin says:
Agreed! My sentiments exactly. I have discovered some really good books by steping out and trying some of the "free" or "less expensive" books and have been pleasantly surprised! Try it, you might find a new author you like, I have!

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 12:28:27 AM PDT
M.J. Rose says:
I recently got the rights back to some of my books and are pricing them nice an low - this one is only 99c - it seems if I want readers to try me - then I should incentivize them with the price. The Halo Effect - Erotic Psychological Thriller (The Butterfield Institute Book 1)

Posted on Jun 7, 2011 8:14:20 AM PDT
Pansy Debusk says:
Absolutely it's the greed of the publishers that is driving the e-book prices to ridiculous heights. Look at John Grisham (who is with Doubleday Publishers, for example). I bought "The Confession" for $9.99 and it was one of his best books in quite some time. So, somehow, Doubleday is managing to keep prices in a reasonable range.I do enjoy James Patterson's Alex Cross books, but not long ago, I found myself wondering how he was able to release so many books in the space of a year. Maybe I'm a little late in discovering this, but I did some research and he has a whole stable of co-writers. JP writes an outline of what he would like the story to be, then turns it over to the other writer. Bully for him, I suppose, for I'm sure he's making tons of money. But somehow, it makes me lose a measure of respect for him, especially since his name is first on the book in those big, bold red letters. Maybe that's wrong, but it's how I feel. I, too, have discovered many authors whose books I wouldn't have given a second glance were they not free or very low priced. I found that I enjoyed them enough to have gone on to purchase entire series written by these authors. Sorry to ramble; this is just a very frustrating situation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2011 12:55:40 PM PDT
I received a Kindle for Christmas and really love it. I am never without it, but I also refuse to purchase books for my Kindle that are priced too high. $5.99 is the most I have or will pay.

Before Kindle, I purchased my books at the Library or Goodwill. The most I paid was $2.50 for a hardbound book. I can wait until the new releases become old and lower in price.

It was great to receive email from Amazon.com today with 100 free books listed and others at 99 cents.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2011 7:32:18 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
"Look at John Grisham (who is with Doubleday Publishers, for example). I bought "The Confession" for $9.99 and it was one of his best books in quite some time. So, somehow, Doubleday is managing to keep prices in a reasonable range."

Well, if you look at the price of The Confession: A Novel now, you'll see that it's 12.99. On 3/1/11 Random House (of which Doubleday is an imprint) joined the agency model.

Moreover, even when the price was 9.99, it wasn't a matter of Doubleday managing to keep prices reasonable, it was amazon choosing to discount the book and take a loss for each 9.99 sale they made.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  20
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Jan 24, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
10th Anniversary (Women's Murder Club)
10th Anniversary (Women's Murder Club) by James Patterson (Hardcover - May 2, 2011)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (895)