Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 2, 2016
Dried lecture!!!
on April 5, 2015
Great book! Excellence and extreme care avoiding biased facts and references.
on March 25, 2015
I'm my persuit to reaquaint myself with our culture, history, and heritage I picked up this book. Unfortunately for me, the main topic was about Puerto Rico's political cycles, including it's Spanish and American rule, and very little about it's heritage and culture. This could very well be the hardest book I've ever read. I'm sure a large percentage of what I read went in through one ear and out the next, as the discussion of politics and foreign affairs are not my strong point. However, I learns several imports key issues like; what does it mean to be a commonwealth, what is the relationship between Puerto Rico and the United States like, and what are the struggles of our people. I recommend this book to anyone that wants to learn about all the trials and tribulations that are faced by our people. However, be forewarned that it is heavy reading.
on March 4, 2015
A good read for those who want to know about there heritage
on March 18, 2014
Great book with very good amount of information on the topic. So much thruth on everything Trias Monge wrote and all reccomendations.
on August 18, 2013
GoodGood condition. Love the book. Thank you for the item. It was in the best shape. Would buy again. Thanks
on August 10, 2013
If you need to know how the relationship between PR and US must develop, this is the book to read. This man has been since the beginning of the development of the Commonwealth of PR to the point of no return!. He was a hard core Colonialist and now admits that the relationship with the US must mature to a more stable and Progressive mode which is a condition that must be of a territorial free language.
on April 14, 2013
The other reader reviews, plus the description, make me very interested in seeing it for myself. I am Puerto Rican, island born but raised in the Mainland, and have seen at least some of the life conflicts this identity creates. My fondest dream would be to retire there but costs, age and social situations on the island keep me grounded in the US. My complaint: I no longer buy printed pages. Is this book not available for e-readers like Kindle Fire? I would buy it for sure.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2011
I was very skeptical of this book since I am Pro-Independence and the author is pro "maintain the status quo while getting a little more autonomy". But after reading the book, I will admit that it is definitely a keeper and one that I will read again numerous times as well as use it as a reference. The author dips in to the different issues plaguing Puerto Rico, mainly the status issue. He eventually gives a pretty well done (but still somewhat) unbiased opinion on the benefits and drawbacks of the three different status options for Puerto Rico; Independence, Free Associated State/Commonwealth, and Statehood. He provides cost estimates for the three options as well as ways of achieving each one. Its been a few months since I read the book so I dont remember every single detail (which only means I will be reading it again soon) but I wanted to basically point out that it was very well written, easy to read, understand and follow; and I honestly believe that it is a very good starting point for anyone that wishes to familiarize themselves with the beautiful country known as Puerto Rico and it's issues. I also believe that Puerto Ricans themselves should read this book because even though we live here, the majority of the population (like America's) doesnt conduct it's own research and/or tries to find out the truth on various issues. We (just like the US) have been indoctrinated into believing everything that we read in the newspapers, watch on TV or are TOLD in school. Learning is no longer promoted in today's schools unfortunately. The modern way to teach is to regurgitate what you have heard from the next guy and it's almost guaranteed to continue being passed on. This is unhealthy for both the individuals and the country and is a very good explanation on why Puerto Rico is the way it is now. Read the book, I promise you will not be disappointed...
on September 8, 2009
Great book will open your eyes as to what has happened in the past and how it is still an on going issue.