Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 5, 2012
Wow. This story was exactly what I've been dying to read in a romance. It was heartbreakingly beautiful. The writing was flawless and intense. It flowed so beautifully, it was never tedious, and I was never bored. Instead I was captivated, enthralled. I absolutely loved Melanie and Daniel, especially the almost supernatural bond they seemed to have. From the first moment I was completely swept away by this achingly romantic tale. Amy captured all the characters, their emotions, their stories, relationships and especially the intense romance between Melanie and Daniel with such perfect prose, I found myself on the verge of tears nearly the entire time.

I simply loved it. I felt connected and captivated. She didn't over use metaphors or descriptions, but kept me aching for more with each word, each sentence. I also enjoyed the flashbacks, and the suspense of finding out their whole story. I loved how she switched point of views, which I don't think is always easy to pull off, but she did flawlessly. Beautiful, captivating, achingly romantic and heartbreaking.

5 STARS!!! A MUST READ!!!! (I'd give it more stars if I could)
11 comment| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 5, 2012
Melanie and Daniel's connection was immediate and it was electric. I'm not talking about a physical connection, but that thing you feel when you are immediately comfortable in another persons presence. When you know that you are completely and totally accepted for who you are, faults and all.

Reading the excerpt of Pulled, I was immediately sucked into the story. The characters were so well-developed that I felt like I knew them personally. I loved the fact that Melanie and Daniel were not in a vacuum. This wasn't just a story about their relationship, but their lives. We were introduced to their family dynamics and all of the messy business that can come along with it. It was enough to give an understanding of where they come from, but not so much that it took over the real story. Pulled will take you on an emotional roller coaster as Melanie and Daniel discover one another and then lose one another only to find one another again.

There is plenty of romance, but it isn't your typical bodice ripper. There is enough spark to the story that someone looking for this will be happy, but I thought that there was so much more to it. Pulled explores a full range of emotions by all of the characters. The conflict was reasonable as were their reactions. Amy Lichtenhan manages to express them in such a way that they were fresh and intriguing rather than overly predictable.

Overall I thought this was a great novel about the enduring power of true love and the importance of communication and forgiveness. This one is going to be one that I will recommended again and again.
on May 27, 2012
Okay, this one did it for me in a big way. I'm an angst-lover. And by that I mean, I'm a Thoughtless, Beautiful Disaster, Love Unscripted, Slammed, Fifty Shades of Everything, kind of reader. But there's gotta be an HEA. And not a half-done HEA but a real yeah-this-story-has-been-agonizing-but-look-it-was-all-worth-it HEA. So, that said, I earnestly recommend this book. If you're like me, you'll like this. Enjoy!
3434 comments| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2012
This is the first time Amazon reviews have steered me wrong. I didn't expect a literary classic but the reviews indicated a good story. At least an easy read. I haven't read worse. Contrived. Cheesy. Melodramatic. Sad sack weak characters. I cannot believe anyone enjoyed this drivel. Beautiful Disaster was at least credible and fun to read. This was tedious, annoying and the sappiest thing since daytime television ruled the airwaves. I recommend passing this one up u less you want all sickly sweet froth and no substance.
1010 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 2012
This is the first time I am writing a review on a book for Amazon. I always count on the reviews to help me decide on a book, but the reviews for this book were way off. I painfully got almost halfway through the book (while skimming the pages as well) and couldn't continue. I felt like I was reading a 9th grader's creative writing assignment after watching too many soap operas and reading too many Danielle Steel novels. The characters were one dimensional....too much angst. Daniel and Melanie's "magical" connection with the ability to sense eachother when near was hokey and unbelievable. These characters are in their mid to late twenties but they think and act like they are 15 years old. Nicholas's character as the controlling, abusive husband is so cliche as well. I did not like how the book jumped from present day to the past. It made the read choppy and disrupted the already poor flow of the story. I love reading because I like the escape of it. I vascillate with my reading from New York Times bestsellers to easy beach reads and "chick lit", but this book did not provide any escape. I kept sighing out loud while reading it, saying, "This is horrible!" Luckily I bought the book on my kindle for an inexpensive amount, but it still was a waste of money. I'll be more careful when going off of reviews in the future because I can't see how anyone gave this book five stars, not even a ninth grader.
on April 12, 2012
I really enjoyed this book for the most part. The love story is compelling and I loved the idea of a magnetic pull between two people. No matter what happened, Daniel and Melanie always find their way back to each other, proving that their love is fated.

The story opens with a bang, giving us a glimpse into two destroyed lives. After teenage Daniel and Melanie lose their premature daughter their relationship falls apart following a series of extreme circumstances that seemingly severs their connection forever. I really liked how the past and present were interwoven and ran parallel. As their lives unfold, we see how the past has affected their current situations and it made for very interesting storytelling. I was hooked from the beginning, reading more and more just so I could find out all the details of the lovers' past.

The chemistry between the two was scorching hot, and when they're in the room together you can literally feel that 'pull' the author describes. I got chills when Daniel and Melanie again after nine years...when they get a second alone it's all they can do to keep from kissing...it was one of my favorite moments of the book!

However, there were a few things that kept me from giving this book 5 stars. For one thing, I felt that the idea of teen pregnancy was a bit too glorified. I get that Melanie and Daniel were in love, but there is nothing romantic about a high-school student getting pregnant. For some reason Daniel's parents are thrilled with the idea that their 18 year old son has knocked up a 17 year old high school Senior. They even help the two conceal the pregnancy from Melanie's parents which just disgusted me. It just all seemed a bit unrealistic to me that everything came together the way it did. Daniel just happens to have a huge trust fund enough to buy a house, car, etc and create this little fantasy world where two teens will start a life once they get married. Maybe plausible in rare cases but certainly not the reality I would have liked to see.

Also, there were a few moments where Daniel was diminished in my eyes. ***Slight Spoiler Alert *** When he finds out that a one night stand might be pregnant he treats her like complete trash just because she's not his love Melanie. His continued rudeness to this woman irked me. He was painted as such a genuine and loveable hero and up until this point I was buying it. As he continued to ignore and bully this mother of his child, though, he turned from loveable hero to jerk and I started to hate him just a bit. He redeems himself in the end, but his judgment of the woman who carried his child really bothered me. Even after the child is born and the mother is obviously suffering from post partum depression he continues to judge and criticize her. It was just a bit overdone for me.
***Spoiler over***

Other than the small things that bothered me, I quite enjoyed this book. As always love prevailed and there's a pleasant little happily ever after. It's clear to me that A.L. Jackson is gifted. Her powers of description and her ability to create nail-biting drama won me over and I'd gladly pick up any other book she writes. I definitely recommend this book for those who like their romance with a heavy dose of angst and drama!
on October 21, 2012
I usually don't take the time to review books, and I normally don't see the point of being negative...but I have to say I was shocked by how many good reviews this book has had, and I agree with most of the less favorable reviews. This book is cheesy and pretty unbelievable. The characters come across so weak that it's hard to respect them. The worst part is, despite this amazing love they apparently have, they both gave up on their relationship without much of a fight at all. Maybe I've read too many good romance books lately and my expectations are too high, but I couldn't recommend this book to anyone in good conscious.
on May 16, 2012
As indicated by my 2 star rating, this book was not so great for me. I do love A.L. Jackson's writing, and "Take This Regret" is one of the best books I've read in years, so I had high expectations of "Pulled" and maybe that's partially why I was left disappointed. I just felt there were countless things in this book that were just too implausible. I know we have to willingly suspend our disbelief to a certain degree, but "Pulled" just pushed me a bit too far. Here's a list of Unrealistic Things (In no particular order) I had an issue with:

*Some of these contain SPOILERS*

1. The H/h are basically telepathic. Now if this were a paranormal book, I'd have no issue with it, but this is not a PN book and these 2 have a freakish and otherworldly type of connection where they can actually almost speak to eachother and sense eachother from quite far away.
2. Since H/h have this strange connection, I don't see how they have SO many misunderstandings and confusion about where they stand with eachother. Really, if you can sense SO much about the other person, surely you know they aren't happy with someone else.
3. If you fly across several states to see someone, and you find an Other Woman in their place, wouldn't you confront your lover (Who is just in the shower!) before running right back to the airport? I mean, you're THERE in the house with them, just go knock on the damn bathroom door and say WTF is going on??
4. The big fallout was in 2000, yet no one calls, texts, emails, eachother just to touch base and say, "Hey, how are you recovering from your horrific accident?" Not even one word in MONTHS?? You can't have a friend or parent call and check either? With modern technology, it's not hard to reach people.
5. In NINE years, neither Daniel or Melanie had moved on one bit. I understand being heartbroken, even not falling in love with anyone else, but these 2 are still seriously pining and crying for eachother NINE years after breaking up. I'm pretty skeptical about this. They are both beyond depressed and yet, still don't call eachother?
6. Daniel really mistreated Vanessa. I get that she manipulated him and she started out seeming like a villain, but toward the end she just seemed so pathetically in love with Daniel that it was just sad. And if someone goes to all that trouble to try to trap a man by having his child, would she really just abandon said child at the hospital after 3 days? I think not.
7. Melanie's mom can see that she has destroyed her daughter's life, yet she waits NINE years to confess her secrets?? NINE YEARS??
8. Daniel's family seemed WAY too thrilled that their teenage son knocked up his teenage girlfriend, I understand being supportive, but they basically patted him on the back and said "Way to go, Son!" It was weird.

Ok, I think I've rambled on enough. To wrap up, this book isn't horrible, it's just too far-fetched and a bit cliched to really be a keeper for me. I still look forward to Jackson's next effort simply b/c "Take this Regret" was so amazing that I'll probably forever read anything she writes.
on August 6, 2012
I absolutely loved this book! What an amazing story of love and fate! I am amazed by the connection that the two main characters shared! This book was sad, thrilling and romantic for sure! It reminds you to love with your whole heart and to never give up on someone that you love! If you liked this book you should also read her next novel "Take this regret"! Another great story! <3
on August 7, 2012
I started this book at 7 in the evening and didn't put it down until I completed it at 2 in the morning! I am an extremely tough critic and have ditched many books after reading the first chapter. This book grabbed me from the very first few sentences and didn't let me go until the thrilling ride was over! It was heart wrenching and so so beautiful. It's suspenseful and breathtakingly romantic at the same time. You will love this book!