Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on August 2, 2013
I've just received this Pulsar Men's PXDA80 wristwatch and it appears to be just what I wanted for an attractive price. However, it has some features that may displease others. (Some comments that follow are in comparison to another Pulsar watch I just received, a Men's PXDA84.)

Here's some of what I wanted:

FUNCTION. Does it keep time? Of course it's too early to tell. However, both watches arrived set (more or less) to the correct time in my time zone, US Eastern. This one was actually a minute and some seconds ahead. Oddly, both had wildly different dates showing, neither near correct.

USE. Can I read the time when I look at it? This one beats the other hands-down. The contrast between the black face and gold hands and markers is easy to read in most any light, even when overhead lights are glaring directly on the crystal. The gold almost seems to sparkle against the black, as if it were jeweled (it's not).

FIT. Does it fit comfortably on my wrist? I have narrow wrists, which is why I chose strap-band watches. I generally can't get any metal bracelet type bands snug enough to stay in place. Both of these fit me well. Of nine prepunched buckle holes I find I'm using the fifth. I can't imagine who would have wrists narrow enough to need the first; a teacup Chihuahua, perhaps. If you have very large wrists, this band might not reach.

I also wanted slim watches that I could easily button shirt sleeves over (or slide such back to see the time). This watch is claimed to have a case thickness of only 6.8 mm, among the slimmest of over 100 I looked at on Amazon, comparable to many Skagens and some few far more expensive watches. I've no way to measure it so precisely, but I don't believe it is all that remarkably slim. However, it's pretty slim indeed, and suits what I wanted.

STYLE AND APPEARANCE. This watch just looks dead-on classy. 'Elegant' is the best word. I like the simple, uncluttered face. The design might be minimalist, but how can you go wrong with black and gold? It became my default evening-wear watch as soon as I opened the box. Again, though, as with the strap, if you have very large wrists, it might appear too 'dainty' to suit you.

Now some other comments. The Date window, located at the 6 o'clock position, is positively microscopic. That suits me fine. I wanted a watch to tell the time, not what date it is. I already know that. So I'm glad the window and the date therein are so tiny that casual glances from others two feet away would never even recognize they were there, instead of yet another gold hash mark. If, however, I actually needed my wristwatch to tell me today's date, I'd be fu....well, I'd be out of luck, here. If a Date function is important to you, neither this nor the PXDA84 is what you want.

The band is stamped "Leather." (It's also stamped "China.") I seem to recall another reviewer wishing the band were "more supple," either this or the other watch. I have to agree for both, and this one seems stiffest. I'm assuming that natural leather will relax and form-fit with use. I do like the fact both watches feature both a fixed and a floating strap loop. Not only are both useful, even on my narrow wrists, but I think they look stylish too.

I'll be traveling four time zones in the next week and will update this review regarding the ease of resetting time and its ability to keep time accurately after that journey. For now though, I have to give a hearty recommendation to this fine-looking wristwatch -- unless you are a fellow of very husky build who doesn't already know what day it is.

UPDATE: Pulling out the crown to reset the time proved as simple as it sounds. The watch continues to keep time accurately as far as I can tell. I might add, the measured second hand stops with the crown out, enabling one to set the time with precision. I've still not bothered resetting the date, which is too small for me to see anyway. Also, after a week's use, I believe the leather strap has indeed relaxed a bit.
on December 23, 2011
I bought this watch because I have another Pulsar watch of the same style but a different color. You won't find a better price than here, even if you have sales and coupons at your local dept store. This black watch is very classy looking. This style is particularly suited to men with small wrists as larger watches make the wrist look too bulky; and sleeves fit over this watch easier.
on July 24, 2008
I've owned Pulsar's before and my experience has been that they are excellent time pieces. I have owned this watch now for about a month and am very pleased with the performance and styling. It is a relatively thin watch which I like very much. The leather band is comfortable and I prefer them immensely over a metal band. The date at the bottom is a little different than I am used to as most watches have them in the 3 o'clock position but I have adjusted quickly to having it in the 6 o'clock position. I highly recommend this watch if you are attracted to the style.
on August 24, 2013
The strap is so short that it would fit a child. The width at the point where it connects to the watch is wider than normal. I tried to find a black & gold tone metal replacement strap, but there are none available due to the unconventional width. So far, I have not been able to wear the watch
on September 11, 2012
I like a simple, slim, square watch. These are not easy to find in stores at reasonable price. This is a very nice product that works as advertised. I am very pleased.
on August 19, 2012
good watch for the price.
quality does not look inferior, more on the same level as similar style watches that cost another $50-100 more.
the band looks great in person, does not look like a cheap plastic band.

the watch itself is much smaller than most watches of this style. bigger men should consider a different style of watch.
on January 22, 2016
I love This Watch"""""It is Elegant""""""And If The Company Gives You 3 Year Warranty Its Because Is a Good Watch""""""I Recommend this 100Percent"""""
on June 3, 2010
I ordered this for my boss. He has been wearing this particular style for several years now and when the band wears out, he just buys a new one. The watch was shipped the same afternoon I ordered it, and he received it within two days. Being a man who is somewhat impatient - this was definitely a plus! The entire process was very easy and both of us are pleased with the results. Thanks!
on March 15, 2013
I ordered this watch because I like the way it looked.
It IS kind of small for a man, but I am OK with that - it seems to keep time very accurately. Furthermore, it definitely IS water resistant; I forgot to remove it several times under the shower and in the hot tub - no problem at all.
Added bonus - It looks much more valuable than it actually is ! :)

I definitely recommend this watch!
on November 4, 2015
Have had this style Pulsar watch (mine has the date in the 3-o'clock position) for over 30-years. Outside of batteries (average use/wear), nothing has affected the accuracy of this watch. It still keeps perfect time. It is an outstanding value for such a value-priced watch. The watch looks much richer/more expensive than it's pricing. I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting an expensive look for not so expensive money.

Over the years, I have also switched watch-bands (and now have an alligator texture brown leather band - which looks really rich). The black (original) leather band lasted about 3-yrs, however (I wore the watch every day). The bands are easily replaceable (along with the 371 battery - which are usually pretty inexpensive to buy too).

See 1 answered question