4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it so far...
Easy to install. These are very fragile (as stated on the instructions) so don't drop them. Also, they do NOT come pregapped so ensure you gap them according to your vehicle specifications.
After installing these, I immediately noticed that my truck (purchased new in 2005) ran extremely smoothly. After taking it out on the road, the acceleration was incredible...
Published on June 18, 2008 by Steve Grant

1.0 out of 5 stars One of many false claims to increase power or milage
Over the years I have seen many claims to increase power or milage by inserting something into the ignition system. Usually I am resistant to them. But, reading about the Pulstar plugs I reasoned there just might be something to their claim. After all, the video at their web site illustrates a far hotter, and better spark.

My vehicle is a Jeep Wrangler, with an...
Published on August 16, 2008 by DocHolliday

1.0 out of 5 stars One of many false claims to increase power or milage, August 16, 2008
This review is from: Pulstar BE-1 Pulse Plug, Pack of 2 (Misc.)

My vehicle is a Jeep Wrangler, with an in-line 6 cylinder engine. At 500 miles I replaced the factory NGKs with Bosch +4. I keep a detailed milage log, out of habit. At 91,000 miles I decided to change the Bosch as I noticed my usually miserable highway mpg (19.2) had decreased to really miserable mpg (17.8).

Amazon is an excellent resource for many items I buy. Plus, I use Prime, so shipping is usually one cost for the entire year. Perusing through Amazon I stumbled upon the Pulse Plug.

Years ago, when there existed coils and distributors, a similar product claimed similar results. Insert this neat little device on the line from the coil to the distributor and said device would ramp up the voltage thus delivering a much hotter spark at the spark plug which will greatly improve your engines performance and your miles to the gallon of fuel. I bought one, and found the claim false.

Yet, the Pulse claims interested me. I bought 3 packs of 2 Pulse plugs. Math will disclose the total cost of my thoughts.

Now when your engine requires fresh spark plugs, any brand (properly matched to your engine) will deliver better performance and better mpg. Why else would you change your plugs?

So I was expecting some improvements in the engine, and increased mpg, from a fresh set of spark plugs. But, I was expecting more from the Pulse Plug. The Pulse plugs arrived and I had my mechanic install them.

One plug was defective and required replacement. Rather than go through Pulse, I returned it to Amazon. Amazon has a great customer service attitude, and easy return policy. (No, I do not work for nor do I have any financial consideration from Amazon). The new Pulse plug arrived promptly.

With a full set of 6 Pulse plugs in, and firing, I took a trip to see if my engine's performance changed.

Yes, my mpg was 19.8, the best I have recorded since before the engine had 20,000 miles on it. There seemed to be an improvement. The engine ran smoothly. There was a static hiss on the radio and CDs that was not there before.

Then, the ECU went out. I do not blame the Pulse plugs for this, but, the mechanic was not as sure.
Prior to replacing the ECU, the mechanic replaced the Pulse plugs on the chance that they were the problem. A fresh set of Bosch +4s went in. No change, so in went a new ECU ($600). The problem resolved.

The mechanic showed me the Pulse plugs. The ends were pitted, the porcelain protecting the electrodes were eroding, and the plug looked worse than the Bosch I had removed with 90,000 miles on them. The mechanic reasoned that the Pulse plugs were either not the correct ones for my engine, or sparked so hot that they would not last very long.

New ECU and fresh Bosch plugs in, I went on the same road trip. Milage was 20.1, engine ran smooth. Better milage with cheaper plugs. No noticeable change in performance between the Pulse plugs and fresh Bosch.

In the end the Pulse plugs delivered nothing extra. So, to answer the real question "is it worth it", from my perspective, no. Their high cost; lack of any mpg increase over cheaper plugs; no discernible power increase provided no reason to spend as much for the Pulse plugs as three sets of the Bosch.

In the end I found that for the same cost, a set of Bosch plugs and a longer visit at my local brew pub, suited my needs better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pulstar plugs only last 8,000 miles and do not make a significant improvement, December 12, 2008
This review is from: Pulstar BE-1 Pulse Plug, Pack of 2 (Misc.)
I bought the Pulstar plugs about 5 months ago after seeing an ad for them in Popular Science magazine. I did some research on the web as I was very skeptical over a product like this. I saw a link on their website to a dyno plot from an independent reviewer showing a small increase in horsepower. I decided to give them a try in hopes of increasing my own horsepower and fuel efficiency. I drive a 1998 BMW M3 and I would consider myself an automotive enthusiast. I am also an Engineer and I perform most maintenance work on my car myself. So I ordered the plugs and installed them. I kept the stock plugs just in case. When I first started the car I noticed the idle was a bit smoother. I took the car out for a test drive and it felt good. I thought it seemed a bit smoother under acceleration, but it could have just been me hoping it was. I drove with the plugs for a couple of months, making note of my fuel efficiency. I had always achieved 23 mpg average per tank before the Pulstars, and after installing the Pulstars I achieved 23 mpg (big surprise). So as it turns out there was no noticeable improvement over the stock spark plugs, even though the Pulstars cost 5 times more!

Then things got worse. After about 8,000 miles and 5 months my engine started idling really rough. Pretty soon the check engine light turned on. I had the codes read and it showed "Random misfire detected," "Misfire cylinder 2," and "Misfire cylinder 5." So I went home and immediately removed the Pulstar Plugs and put the stock plugs back in. I turned the car on and the check engine light turned off and the idle was smooth again.

I examined the Pulstar plugs that I had removed and noticed that the electrodes were completely worn down. Seems they are constructed using cheap materials. So if you want to pay 5 times as much for a plug that lasts 5 times shorter than a regular plug, and gives you no significant improvement, be my guest.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cost $377 in repairs after 16,623 miles, July 15, 2009
#1. Failed after 16,623 miles
#2. Burned out Ignition Coil
#3. Damaged Onboard Computer

I put my pulstar plugs in on 3/15/08 and have driven 16,623 miles since then. I did get an increase of 1.5 MPG on my annual average MPG(I log every fill up). It cost me $75 for 4 plugs plus $10 shipping, so an $85 investment. On 07/08/09 I lost power on the expressway driving 70mph and the engine was shaking!

I just had to replace all 4 plugs and an ignition coil. I also had to replace the PCM (Onboard Computer--Luckily Pontiac covered under warranty). Pulstar says these plugs will last 50,000 miles/4 Years. Will not damage your engine. Are EMI shielded to protect your onboard computer. None of these claims are true!

$85 4 Pulstar Pulse Plugs
$90 Diagnostic Fee
$40 New OEM Spark Plugs (Not including Labor)
$172 New Ignition Coil (Not including Labor)
1 New PCM (Replace by GM, I paid Labor)
=$525 to return back to OEM Spark Plugs and remember that I didn't have to pay for a new PCM on top of the $525. It's cheaper to stuff $85 into your Exhaust Pipe!

!!!Update!!!: On 7/16 I mailed the failed Pulstar Pulse Plugs along with the burned out ignition coil to Tracylee Anderson. I never received a response from the company after the received the damaged parts. They have yet to refund any money for the plugs or the damage caused by them.

False Claims:

Q: How long do Pulstar(tm) Pulse Plugs last?
A: Pulstar(tm) Pulse Plugs last as long as most spark plugs - about 50,000 miles depending on the condition of your vehicle and driving habits.

Q: What will Pulstar(tm) Pulse Plugs do to my engine's main computer?
A: Nothing. Pulstar(tm) contains circuitry to prevent radio frequency interference (RFI) and electro-magnetic interference (EMI).

1.0 out of 5 stars PULSTAR SPARK PLUGS - BEWARE !, September 19, 2008
This review is from: Pulstar BE-1 Pulse Plug, Pack of 2 (Misc.)
BEWARE! This product almost destroyed engine. Installed plugs as recommended, drove for approximately one week when suddenly my engine started to stall and engine light came on. Immediately stopped and had vehicle towed. Mechanic stated that one plug ran too hot and destroyed wires with plug also destroyed. Initial cost $80.00, Final cost $350 for tow, new plugs, new wires, and mechanic.

1.0 out of 5 stars did not work at all, September 1, 2008
jdbtx (Fort Worth, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pulstar BE-1 Pulse Plug, Pack of 2 (Misc.)
2006 Acura RSX-Type S, 2.0l I-VTEC 4cyl. I followed all instructions, they installed fine, started engine and the plugs immediately threw a CEL. Engine idle timing dropped to 150RPM, car sputtered and stalled, big puff of black smoke from the tailpipe. Started up again, same issue, jumped on the gas and attempted to drive around the block. Stalled twice, idle would not go above 1000RPM (engine has a 7900RPM rev limit). Immediately took them out, replaced with stock IR Denso, which my car was grateful for. All better now, but I don't know what the heck these plugs did. They did not work at all in my car.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor plugs, July 20, 2008
This review is from: Pulstar BE-1 Pulse Plug, Pack of 2 (Misc.)
i tried these plugs thinking it may work well for my Honda Accord. the car ran very rough after installing, i did not drop any plugs upon installation, but my car sure was missing. i had to pull them and replace them with the old plugs until my order for the NGK's came in. i called the manufacturer to ask if the packing they were sent in was adequate since they make a big deal out of not dropping them and i was told that was normal for them to be shipped in the plastic twin packs. the gap was correct, i can not explain why they were so bad. the way my car ran if seemed as if atleast two plugs were bad, it would barely run. good luck if you decide to get them, the NGK's (factory replaements) are great by the way.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pulstar BE-1 Pulse Plug, July 9, 2008
This review is from: Pulstar BE-1 Pulse Plug, Pack of 2 (Misc.)
Pulstar BE-1 Pulse Plug, Pack of 2 Have a 4 cylinder Toyota. Had expected to see some improvement in horsepower and gas milage. Did not happen. No difference from old plugs. Better luck when I installed a K&N air filter several years back

2.0 out of 5 stars Disintegrating plug and sudden heavy oil consumption, August 26, 2009
Length:: 0:01 Mins

I installed four Pulstar spark plugs in my Saturn VUE. The spark plugs did boost gas mileage. About three months later the vehicle started to experience momentary bouts of power loss while I drove on the highway. After a week or so I investigated thinking I should check the plugs I installed. The first plug I removed had no sparking point and was missing a significant amount of glass. Enerpulse replaced the plugs. The spark plugs have been good since replacement. A couple of weeks after the plugs were replaced I found my oil was low, off the stick. The VUE had never needed any oil between changes and would never even appear to have used oil between changes. This oil use was completely unexpected. I could only figure that the disintegrated Pulstar plug had something to do with the oil use. Enerpulse assured me the disintegrated spark plug had nothing to do my vehicles sudden consumption of oil. I inquired about how to be sure of their diagnosis and was not suggested any diagnostic. The VUE continues to use about a quart of oil for every thousand miles driven. Enerpulse has not responded to my last two inquiries concerning the issue.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, September 1, 2008
This review is from: Pulstar BE-1 Pulse Plug, Pack of 2 (Misc.)
I have a 2003 VW Jetta 1.8t. I gapped these to specification and they ended up frying one of my coil packs. I tried several times to install and get them to work, but they never did.
Perhaps they need a different gapping, but if I'm spending $100 for spark plugs, I shouldn't have to try 3 times to install them.
I hope Pulstar compiles some sort of database that a consumer could look up and see what gapping the plugs need. I read anywhere from .25 to .32 works on my engine (w/ pulstar plugs).
I wish they would have worked.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Gains, June 22, 2008
This review is from: Pulstar BE-1 Pulse Plug, Pack of 2 (Misc.)
I put these plugs on an 03 Acura CL-S 6pd wit 78,000 miles on it. Didn't improve anything. I guess they think it helps gas mileage by making your wallet lighter. Har har har... Stick with OEM.

Pulstar BE-1 Pulse Plug, Pack of 2