Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 14, 2012
Given: installed for laundry discharge in basement...no gravity sewer. Installed with new thermoplastic floor-mount utility tub. Discharge to gravity sewer 8' linear feet directly above tub.

Please keep in mind, I am only writing this for the potential buyer and a few comments from post buyers.

I purchased this pump because other similar systems i.e. tray pumps require a vent, which I did not have nearby and did not want to install. This was the best option. Pump was installed not directly under tub, as shown on picture for two reasons: first, I thought its mass combined with intermittent torque would eventually crack the tub; secondly, a few posts said water was standing in bottom of tub--meaning not enough pressure at switch to discharge all in tub. So, what I did was installed the pump off to the side of the tub and attached to the concrete wall (easy access for repairs)...solved mass and water in tub issue. I also, install a union before and after pump for easy of removal. I installed check valve that comes with pump right out of pump discharge line, but also installed inline sump pump check valve (vertical) about 6" above pump the reduce back pressure on furnished valve (did not think furnished check valve would last). Supplied directions for adjusting cycling of pump was correct. Please note, furnished ball valve is almost completely shut to stop cycling, but does keep-up with laundry discharge (I also got a large enough basin for that reason after reading the posts and direction before purchase.) Also, directions are adamant about using a strainer to reduce debris going into the pump. But, being used for laundry, lint is always building up in the strainer and cycling occurs. So, to eliminate this issue, I purchased a waist height footless woman's pantyhose and tied the two legs together in a knot and attached the waist with plastic zip-tie around the laundry discharge hose; catches all lint and debris, but must change every now and then based upon load count. I figured I can do about 60 loads before changing. Also, buy at the dollar store or cheap ones. I hope this helps somebody make an educated decision on buying; so much crap on the market today and misleading posts. Oh, don't forget to install with a GFCI. If somebody needs, I can take a picture and post...Good luck!

12/30/15 update to the previous 11/14/12 review: I am rather taken back by this product and its manufacturer--First failure...pressure switch failed about 17 months after install. I replaced with an auto switch (not Bur-Cam); no problems with that switch as of today. First pump failed...electrical failure due to water penetration from failed seal about 25 months after install. I called Bur-Cam for potential replacement or pro-rate because it failed one month after warranty expired. Let's just say I ended up buying a new Bur-Cam pump w/o the pressure switch. Second pump only lasted one year with same failure. I WILL NOT REPLACE WITH ANY BUR-CAM PRODUCT!!! SORRY.\\

F.Y.I.: I have been in the construction industry for well over 30 years and have many trade connections. I had a plumber and electrician inspect install on both and it passed.
1414 comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2008
I have very little plumbing experience but I found the pump to be relatively easy to install. The pump itself screws directly to the laundry tub using the supplied union coupling. Then all I had to do was connect the supplied check valve and ball valve and run PVC piping to the drain line. Installation took less than an hour. Works as described so far, just make sure your connections are tight to prevent leaks.
on July 19, 2012
I installed the 300514w automatic pump for about 2 years (or so) ago......the sensing device on the pump (a diaphram and probably a micro-switch) worked surprisingly well then. The pump would go on with a small amount of water such as washing one's hands, or a plate without food chunks on it.....it drained very well and left the water line slightly below the drain opening....but the pump assembly failed due to leakage out of the seals, which froze up the pump and/or motor bearings or shafts....it lasted for a couple months after the first signs of leakage but the assembly was in such a difficult to replace area I figured I would eventually have to replace the whole assembly, rather than just the parts.....that is exactly what happened.....Now the new assembly, freshly installed, really sucks......or maybe I should say, doesn't suck. It wont turn on until there is 2 or 3 inches of water in the basin which means all the dirty stuff will lay in your sink until there is enough water to activate the sensing device....then it doesn't suck out all the water....half the time it will stop with still an inch of water in the sink......
This new unit has a screw with a triangular hole (like an allen screw, but triangular) right in the center of the diaphragm switch, so I called the company and waited for a "technician" for 20 minutes, to whom I told my story.....he insisted on telling me that the cap on the supplied ball-check-valve had to be straight up and not cocked the slightest.....I see no reason for why a half inch tilt either way would have anything to do with the pump doing what I said.....then I asked if the screw in the center of the diaphragm maybe was an adjustment, (which the old pump, same model number, did not have) and he said "definitely not, there is no adjustment on the pump assembly"......when I asked him what the screw-like object was there for, he said quote, "I haven't a clue"..........Try that on for size.....If you dont have the foggiest notion of what it is, how do you know it is not an adjustment (??)....anybody out there know what it is?? I recommend NO purchase of this pump assembly without the ability to adjust.....I may screw off the old diaphragm and replace the new one to see if that will work....Good luck to those considering the pump.........................
PS I asked three different times what that screw-like item was in the middle of the diaphragm switch....no answer from anywhere so I still don't know what it is, but neither do they apparently.....deal with a US source and be better off...........
on November 16, 2008
This is one heavy duty pump. I have a pump that is about 15 years old that I thought was a workhorse, but this blows that out of the water. I mounted it in no time (all of the hard work was removing non standard pipe sizes and installing adapters to accommodate the output into the main drain line), and it works like a charm. The pressure switch works well, but I thought my pump was DOA when I first installed it because of the hum that came from the pump when only a little water was in it. Once we started using it with our washing machine, though, it kicked into full gear, and discharges ALL of the water very nicely. It even will cycle 2 more times after the water pressure comes off the switch so you know ALL of the water is pumped out! I couldn't be happier. Best investment I could have made!
on May 4, 2010
I bought this pump to empty a wash basin into which a washing machine drains, and to be fair, it does work. But it does it in a frustrating way -- by cycling on and off in 2-3 second bursts. I did install it exactly as indicated in the instructions -- underneath the wash basin, with the check valve in the noted location.

The problem seems to be that the switch turns the pump off once it starts to drain water -- perhaps because the pump is creating a vacuum at the water inlet, where the switch is located. The problem could be mitigated if the switch - just like my sump pump - would simply keep the pump on for 5-10 seconds each time it activated, rather than cutting off immediately when water is no longer sensed. It would also be great if the switch could be adjusted for sensitivity.

I contacted Bur-Cam about my problem. I think we had some communication difficulties -- the company is based in Quebec. Unfortunately, their only advice was to move the check valve to the top of my drain line, after the elevation gain. This would have been a lot of work for an experiment, and it seemed crazy to me so I never tried it. I can't understand how it would have any impact on the performance, and they couldn't explain it either.

I am pretty unhappy with this pump, but it does get the job done. If I had the decision to make again, I'd get a system with a holding tank and a sump-style pump for just a little more money. In fact, I am trying to kill this pump by washing buckets of mortar, drywall joint compound, etc. in the wash basin.

To its credit, it does seem to handle these things with relative ease, although my cheap sump pump can pump the same amount of water in about a tenth the time as this Bur-Cam pump. It is very slow.
on April 8, 2016
Im really not happy with this unit. Dont buy this unless you buy a different backflow prevention device. The rubber ball they use for the backflow prevention is worthless. We use this in a bar sink so very little usage. What happens is the ball is plugging the hole where the water comes through and eventually gets lopsided from the force of the water it is holding back going up the wall behind the sink. So the next time you use the sink the ball does not completely cover the hole again. So the water comes back up in the sink and the pump starts again to pump the water out. This will literally keep going unless you turn the red knob and shut off the backflow of water completely. I need to replace that backflow with a proper one but haven't had the time or figured out if there will be enough room. The pump seems to do what it is supposed to do.
on May 17, 2016
I purchased this to replace an under-the-tub pump that was there when I bought the house, looked pretty old to begin with, and eventually burnt out. I found the review by "Pawn Pusher" on February 19, 2014 EXTREMELY helpful and almost followed his (or her) recommendations to a "T" when installing it on my end.
Installing it away from the sink worked pressure build-up to trigger the pump so no water was standing in the tub and also served as a trap for what water didn't make it through the pump.
The ball valve is VERY stiff however I kept it in my set-up.
The check-valve is very sub-standard, if you test it just by blowing through it you can feel air going through the other end, what do you think water's going to do? So I replaced it with a American Valve P32S 1 1/4" PVC In-Line Check Socket Schedule 40, 1 1/4-Inch from Lowe's.
The only modification I added was cuplinks before and after the pump to make for easy replacing or repair on the pump down the road. I also screwed a scrap piece of 2"x6" to my basement floor and bolted the pump to that, I know it's overkill but I wasn't sure how much vibration to expect for the pump. Surprisingly, this thing is so quiet you can barely tell it's running. When I first tested it by running the water in the sink I couldn't hear it over the faucet and didn't think it was on. Vibration is minimal, you could get away maybe just putting a piece of the rubber "shelf paper" you put in your tool box drawers between the pump and your basement floor, no need for bolting it down.
Now I just have an HE front loading washing machine emptying into the tub, and with the ball valve after the pump turned down almost to closed to maintain a steady flow so the pump isn't pulsating on and off and eventually burn out quicker, I haven't had any issues with the tub getting even to half-full or threat of over-flowing. With that, as a back-up incase the pump goes or and GFI trips and I'm not aware of it and throw a load of wash in, I have a Glentronics, Inc. BWD-HWA Basement Watchdog Water Sensor and Alarm set up clipped over the side of the tub about 3-4 inches from the top to alert me if the water ever gets close to overflowing.
I did post pictures, but Pawn Pusher's review really hit the nail on the head.
review image review image review image review image review image
on June 24, 2016
This BurCam 300514W Laundry Tub Pump was purchased to replace an antiquated Pre-Plumbed Sink Tray System which the previous homeowner had installed and which he plumbed into 1 inch pvc without check valves. The existing sytem would backup or not lift and the laundry water would go out the overflow into the sump pump basin. I installed this along with an Everbilt checkvalve from Lowe's. I did use the checkvalve and red pvc shutoff valve.as did others in reviews, I plumbed it all with 1 1/2 in pvc and used a rubber union to connect to the basement house drain. It did take a little fudging to get the red handle shutoff to just the right position to stop the pump surging but it"s all good now and we ere now able to do laundry and use our utility sink again.
review image review image review image review image
on August 14, 2014
on February 8, 2015
Installing the pump under the laundry tube eliminated all of the problems we were having with washing machine waste water disposal. Plumbed the pump outlet into the kitchen sink water drain line to the the aerator. Now all the waste water flows to the aerator as code requires. Until I found this pump solution, we were looking at plumbing solutions that cost 5X what this pump cost.