Automotive Holiday Deals Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on DOTD

on September 7, 2003
This is a must read follow-up to Gary's book "Winterdance". You'll read more about his dog Cookie as well as a variety of other sled dog related adventures and observations. If you've ever bonded with a dog (dog musher or not) you will enjoy this little gem of a read. It is a book easily read in one sitting.
on February 18, 2005
A must read for any dog lover or one who enjoys Gary Paulsen's work. The simple joy of the little balls of fur that are husky puppies is portrayed lovingly throughout the book, as you follow along with the birth, education, and growing up of the litter of Gary Paulsen's best and most wonderful lead dog, Cookie. Unfortunately, there comes sadness, as Gary is forced to give up the kennel he loved, and keep only Cookie as a reminder of the dogs he once had. In an amazingly short space of time, you will find yourself laughing hysterically, and sobbing, and anyone who reads this book without doing both at least once has no sence of humor and a heart of stone.
on August 21, 2007
A dog is man's best friend, right? He is when it comes to Cookie, and Gary Paulsen reflects on the wonderful friendship they shared.

Cookie is the lead dog on Gary's team of sled dogs and has been for a very long time. Gary and Cookie have traveled a lot of trails together. They have even competed in the Iditarod. Cookie has given birth to many puppies but always goes back to work. You might call Cookie a working mother.

In PUPPIES, DOGS, AND BLUE NORTHERS, Gary Paulsen tells his own story of love and friendship with his canine friend. If the strength and endurance of sled dogs interests you, you will love this book. The road they have traveled is not always smooth sledding; there are plenty of bumps along the way. Children ages ten and up will love to learn more about these amazing dogs and the training that goes into being a successful musher. This is an action-packed adventure and love story of a man and his one very special dog.

Climb aboard this dog sled -- you won't ever forget it!

Reviewed by: Bri P.
on March 23, 2005
This wonderful book about Gary and his dog, Cookie, starts here. Cookie is a true leader and loves being a sled dog. Cookie has about three litters a year. In one litter, one pup did not live; Cookie would not let it go until five days! A while after that Cookie and Gary were teaching pups to be true leaders, boy or girl, just like Cookie by running on the Alaskan plain. Cookie started to limp. She had arthritis! The doctor said, " She would have to give up running as a sled dog!" Will Gary have to give up racing, too? You will have to read the story and find out. Gary, a main character, is obviously representing Gary Paulsen, the author. I recommend this book to all readers, because it is heartwarming.
on September 6, 2012
Winterdance, by this author, is one of my all time favourite books: I love it for it's sheer energy and love of life. And I have yet to meet anyone who did not enjoy it, from children sitting up at bedtime with eyes as big as saucers to grandparents falling out of bed with laughter.
If you also enjoyed Winterdance, you will enjoy this little glimpse of what came after.
Gary Paulsen has left us a rare and special treasure.
on May 17, 2009
I Would rate this book, Puppies,Dogs, and Blue Northers a 4 out of 5 for three reasons.
One reason is that it was very easy to feel for the dogs,because it tells you a little bit about each dog at the start , and it is very hard to dislike them after you see how dedicated each and every dog is to sled racing. Also it is very easy to relate to, if you've ever owned a dog or lived with one.There are some parts where every dog owner has most likely had this happen to them, like when all the dogs got in the house and jumped on the bed in the morning.Finally I thought that the book was very well written.For example when the dogs are on a bridge that could collapse at any minute, I was biting my nails down to the skin, and when the dogs came in and jumped on the bed you could totally picture the wife screaming like crazy.Overall in this book you could connect to the characters and feel for them, while reading an amazingly crafted book.
on December 13, 2014
At first I was very interested to read the book, the cover look very good, when I got to the middle at page 45 it was super good I like tell cookie the dog had lots of puppies I can just imagine 1 billion puppies crawling all over you. I have a puppy living with me he is a Labrador retriever named Casper, he is so cute but he is a monster, he ruins everything he rips stuff, And he loves to eat all of my toys and papers and homework and all that stuff. This book reminded me of all the the personalities of our puppy. I really did enjoy this book thank you for writing in it.πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ’«πŸŒŸβœ¨πŸ˜ΊπŸ˜ΈπŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ˜‹πŸ˜†πŸ˜„πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜Šβ˜ΊοΈπŸ˜‰πŸ˜œπŸ˜πŸ˜›πŸ˜œ
on July 21, 2015
If you love dogs you can't not like this book. It is short but it gives a little insight into the relationship between a man and his sled dog(s). I enjoyed the bits of information about the lifestyles of the dogs and, albeit limited information, it helped me understand the reason for chaining the dogs, which I have always been bothered with. I liked the admittance of our human limitations and the lessons learned by our canine companions.
on January 18, 2013
As an educator I am being given the opportunity to attend the Educator's Iditarod Conference in Anchorage, Alaska. I am reading everything I can. This author was a musher and gave me incredible insight into the investment that is required to be a musher. The dogs are so interesting and require a large amount of time and training. Mr. Paulsen had a deep love and concern for his dogs.
on May 24, 2013
if you like dogs you will love this. period. Don't think twice, just get it. It will sit on your bookshelf as a treasure.Just as good as all his dog books, which I happen to think are the best modern ones out there...This guy knows his dogs, sees their hearts and spends so much time enjoying them...He has had enough dogs in his life to see some really special things. You will not be dissapointed, except to wish as I did that it were 1000 pages longer !