5.0 out of 5 stars Nice trampoline that needs better instructions.
Published 21 months ago by J. Ware

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disapointing
I read the reviews that talked about the cord breaking and assumed it would not happen to me.

But it did. My 44 pound son (this product is for kids up to 75 pounds) got this for his birthday and LOVED it. He loves to jump and was so happy to run over and jump throughout the day.

Until it broke.

Less than a month after his birthday...
Published on March 18, 2011 by lhewjkw

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice trampoline that needs better instructions., October 27, 2012
This review is from: Pure Fun Kid's First Jumper Trampoline (Sports)
Even with mixed reviews, I went ahead and purchased this trampoline. The problems in the reviews were, hard to assemble and the bungee cord broke after very little use. I felt capable of assembly and inspected/stretched the bungee cord as soon as I opened it up. I have addressed how I think you can avoid both problems below. If you are going to assemble one of these, read all of my directions before you start. I think I discovered what was causing the bungee cord to break and I have included my thoughts on how to prevent them. I have put pictures up and numbered them so you know which one I am referring to. Picture #1 shows my son jumping on it and he loves it.

Assembly: The frame is pretty easy to assemble, the instructions clearly show how to assemble it and list which bolts to use.
1) The frame is very nice, the bolts/fasteners were adequate, but nothing special. (They include the exact number of fasteners needed, so don't lose any of them.) You need a phillips screwdriver and a 10mm wrench or ratchet and socket. They include a wrench, but it's worth the walk to your tool box, if you have the tools.
2) Before you start to weave the bungee cord, you need to attach the jump mat to the frame with the 8 included nyloc straps. The mat needs to be accurately centered so take your time. I found that when doing the final stretch on the bungee cord, I added more straps to help hold it in place. When you unpack the legs, cut the nyloc straps so you can reuse them. (That means cutting the strap on the side that inserts into the gripper. You can take two little ones and make a big one, if needed.) If I did this again, I would put 3 straps on all sides before weaving. If you make a mistake (tighten one too tight/small) the nylocs are pretty hard to get apart. You will need to remove/cut it off and get more of them to get the mat centered and held snuggly. This step must be done correctly or your mat will be off centered and/or wrinkled when finished.
There is one more thing to do before starting to weave the bungee cord.
When I had finished assembling mine, I noticed that 2 of the bungee cords were very close to the seam where the fame pipes are joined on the sides. I did not think the cord would rub it, so I didn't do anything. After my son jumped for about one hour, I held back the padding and saw that 2 of them had shifted to the seam in the sides of the frame. It is not a sharp edge, but if the cord is repeatedly flexed over the seam, it could cause the bungee cord to break. I wrapped about 3 layers of electrical tape around the seam as shown in picture #2. It would be very easy to do before you lace the cord. If I did one again, I would wrap all 4 seams before lacing the cord. If you don't have electrical tape, duct tape or any tape with some thickness to it, would work. It is completely hidden so the appearance of the tape is not important. It can be done later, but it is much easier to do before the cord is laced.
3) Lacing the cord. This is where I suspect many people have problems. The diagrams in the instructions do not clearly show how to lace it. I searched for images online and you can't see the cord in any pictures because it is covered by the pads. I played with this for about an hour (Using the slightly helpful diagram in the instructions) before I came up with what I think is the correct way to lace it. It is also the shortest (in length) way to lace the cord. If you lace it differently, I think you would be over stretching the cord. That would make it very difficult to lace and could cause the cord to break. The way I laced it is clearly shown in pictures #3 and #4. Picture #3 shows how it looks when you first lace it without stretching it. (Be sure to start under the 2nd hole) You can tell from that picture that you need to stretch it about 25% of the length of the cord to make the ends meet. They have changed the way the end of the cord attaches to the beginning of the cord. They include a page just stuck in the manual showing how to use the new fastener. (Just ignore the instructions in the book showing the old fastener) The inserted instructions will show how to make the loop at the beginning of the cord. I stretched the cord by myself, but a second person would be helpful. To stretch the cord, start at the beginning and pull about 2 inches at the start and continue stretching to the end. The slack will grow as you continue to stretch around the frame. The second person would be helpful in holding the stretched cord at the end as you start to do another round of stretching the cord. As you are stretching the cord, remember the cord needs to be evenly stretched around the frame. I had to stretch it about 3 times around the frame to get enough slack to connect the ends. You cannot just stretch the end of it to make the two ends meet. After a pretty good fight, you will finally get the end of the cord to reach the beginning of the cord. You need about 3 extra inches in the cord to put the ball on the strap and tie a knot in the end to hold the ball. Then you will insert the ball inside the loop at the beginning. When you are finished, cut off the nyloc straps. Then push down on the cord loops between the frame and the jump mat. You will notice that some of the loops are stiffer than others. This is caused by uneven stretching of the cord while lacing it. That is normal, but needs to be corrected. Work the strap to get the tension feeling even when you push on them. Pull where the tension is low and work it to where it is stiffer. This is not an exact science but you can get it better after a few minutes of working with the cord. It will not correct itself. Failure to even out the tension would likely cause the cord to break. The protection pad is pretty easy to assemble. The instructions and the picture on the box should be enough guidance.
After my son jumped on it for about an hour, I checked the frame bolts and they needed to be retightened about 1/4 of a turn. The bolts that hold the handle needed about 1 full turn.

I like the trampoline (and Amazon's price) and my son loves to jump on it. I wrote this to help someone who might buy this but struggle with the assembly and (my biggest reason) to prevent the heartbreak of a child who only got to jump on it a few times before it broke. I would rate the difficulty of assembling it a 7 out of 10. I did not use any special tools, drill any holes or go to the hardware store. If you can change oil in a car, I think you are very capable of assembling this trampoline. With good instructions, it should take about an hour to assemble it. I am fairly certain my son will jump on this daily. If the bungee cord (or anything else) breaks, I will update my review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disapointing, March 18, 2011

Until it broke.

Less than a month after his birthday.

He is so sad, and I am possibly even MORE sad - since this was the most expensive thing he got, and now it's useless. I want to try and find a way to contact the company for a replacement part, but I am not sure how, since I didn't keep the box or anything.

Overall, I'd go with a different jumper (although these types of trampoines, in general, are awesome).

I had expected for him to use it for years, and then his little brother after him... we had a different (similar type) of jumper that we had for probably 4 or 5 years before it died - I was hoping for that sort of an investment. Unfortunatley I couldn't just find that same product again.

----------
I (eventually) found contact information for this manufacturer and have to say I was VERY impressed with their customer service - they kindly promptly sent me a new cord to fix the jumper... which broke the day after we put it on... *sigh* the third new cord should be in the mail soon... they have been really nice to work with - when I eventually got ahold of them (my fault for not keeping the packaging, I guess), but I hope this cord works better than the last two. I probably would not get this jumper again, but I wouldn't shy away from the company altogether - and they did say that they had a lot of problems with these cords at one point, but got it fixed and haven't anymore - um, but my replacement cord still broke... sooo... I don't know if I 100% trust that it's a great deal. A nice lady answers the phones though?

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the product, but broke after 5 days of use!, February 10, 2010
This review is from: Pure Fun Kid's First Jumper Trampoline (Sports)
My 5 year old and 2 year old loved this product!!! It was a birthday gift for my 5 year old (who is well under the weight limit of 75lbs!). With it being winter time and snowy outside, the trampoline received a lot of use in the first week of use! Unfortunately, after only 5 days of good use, the cord snapped while my 5 year old was jumping on it. :( very sad, since the kids loved the item so much and it got rid of extra energy, we are now going to be in contact with the manufacture to see if they will send us a new cord (or two or three!) The price is great when compared to others (mid-range), it has great bouncy, and if it would not have been for the breaking of the item after only 5 days, it would have received all 5 stars!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars As advertised - difficult to assemble but pure fun after!, July 10, 2012
This review is from: Pure Fun Kid's First Jumper Trampoline (Sports)
My wife found this product on a discount website, and we finally got around to putting it together. Cutting to the chase, our 2 1/2 year old bounced herself breathless on the first use! Beyond worth any issues with assembly.

Some words on the assembly. A lot of reviews here complain about the difficulty in assembly. The packaging clearly states it is a two person job, and that a couple of extra tools may be required. It comes with a wrench, and realistically the only other thing you really need then is a screwdriver. Did it take two? No question about it; the stringing of the bungee cord requires an extra set of hands, but it is far from the struggle some have stated. The instructions are fine if you are a visual person and have any experience assembling, well, anything. What is not described in words is illustrated - sure the illustrations could be a little bigger I guess, but contrary to other reviews, if you look at them they will show you PRECISELY how everything goes together, including the proper way to string the bungee cord. If you are not an even partially handy person, phone a friend, buy a six pack and save yourself some time; otherwise I think 98% of the population can handle this.

Some words on use. Some have voiced concern over the safety. The same reviews have mentioned not letting kids swing on the handle or having to supervise their kids while playing on it. Please, let common sense prevail. These same reviewers likely don't use seatbelts because they know someone who knows someone who knows a guy that survived a car wreck because he was ejected instead of being restrained. The tag on the toy says one at a time, hold the handle, watch your kid at all times, don't hang on the handle, and a lot of other stuff intended for those who need to be reminded to breathe. This is a toy, not a babysitter.

We just set it up so I cannot remark about the durability of the cord. If it snaps I will update the review, but only after I contact the manufacturer, which any reasonable person should do if something they spend their hard earned money on breaks. I'm encouraged by the reviews by those reasonable enough to do this who have had good experiences in getting replacement cords, if needed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bungee Cord Broke, September 20, 2010
This review is from: Pure Fun Kid's First Jumper Trampoline (Sports)
I was encouraged to buy this product by my son's occupational therapist. This product was great for the first two months. My five year old loves it. However, the bungee cord has already snapped, leading to extended tears in my house. If it is rated up to 75 lbs. my 49 lb. child shouldn't break it in just over a month. Very disappointing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pure Fun For Kids, Pure Hell To Put Together, February 9, 2010
This review is from: Pure Fun Kid's First Jumper Trampoline (Sports)
Bought this for my 2 and 3 year old daughters...and eventually their 8 month old sister. I wanted to give them a way to burn off energy inside when the weather is bad. Well, they just about didn't get to try out their new trampoline. It was sooooo hard to put together. I found lacing the bungee cord that acts as the springs of the trampoline to be extremely difficult even with two adults working together. The instructions were confusing and the illustrations didn't quite match up to the real thing. I would gladly have paid double or triple the price just to have the darn thing pre-assembled. It was not worth the effort to put together.

Now that it is assembled, my daughters do enjoy it. They have a hard time abiding by the one jumper at a time rule, but we're working on that. They held the handle at first and now jump quite a bit without it. I have it butted up against a cushiony ottomon on a carpeted surface. It's very lightweight for moving around, but nothing folds, so it's quite bulky to store or fit through doorways with the handle. If I had it to do all over again, I would not buy this product due to the grueling and ridiculous way it is assembled. I also would get one where the handle folds for flatter storage. There were no reviews at the time I bought this, so I took a leap of faith. Several others I had researched were unavailable at Christmas when I originally wanted to buy it, so this one popped up the next time I looked.

I gave it two stars only because my kids do have fun on it. Otherwise, it would be a one star product for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke in less than a week, December 31, 2010
This review is from: Pure Fun Kid's First Jumper Trampoline (Sports)
We got this for our daughters (30 lbs and 69 lbs) and within the first week, the bungee has snapped. Weight limit claims to be 77 lbs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kids love it!, February 4, 2010
Mom (Columbus, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pure Fun Kid's First Jumper Trampoline (Sports)
My kids are 1 and almost 4 and they love this minitramp. The one year needs to be watched obviously but as a boy he is very active and this gives him something to do. My daughter and her friends love it and I feel safe with them on it. Gave it four stars b/c it is a little hard to get the band laced into it and the picture shows the cover looking tighter than it really is. I didn't think there was going to be any gapping and there is a little gap for little feet to possibly slide in but we have not had any problems with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT purchase!, November 5, 2013
This review is from: Pure Fun Kid's First Jumper Trampoline (Sports)
We just put this together and used it for our toddler that weighs less than 24 lbs. The buggy cord snapped after less than 15 minutes of use.

3.0 out of 5 stars kids trapoline, February 13, 2010
This review is from: Pure Fun Kid's First Jumper Trampoline (Sports)
After being put together, this has gotten lots of use and is loved by the 3-year-old it was bought for. However, assembly was horrible experience. It required at least three tools not provided and muscles! Also the instructions were not explicit enough.

Pure Fun Kid's First Jumper Trampoline