Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

90%
10%
Format: Hardcover|Change

on August 12, 2011
Where would we be without our pets? Dogs are an integral part of many lives. This memoir details how six golden retrievers affected the author's life and the lives those around them. If a reader enjoys or needs a heart-warming memoir this is a perfect read.

The author describes the dogs, leaving nothing out-not even the "quirks" they have. The reader will happily acquaint his/herself with the dogs and owners in the memoir. The main characters really come alive, the reader will be able to picture them as friends or neighbors. The author tells real stories of her experiences with the dogs and some large, sometimes unhappy times in her life-particularly concerning fire.

There are sad events in this memoir, such things are inevitable concerning reality; however, the happy outweighs the bad. The reader will come away from this memoir feeling light-hearted and happy. This book is recommended for just about any reader.

*Complimentary copy received for this review, does not affect my opinion in any way*
on May 4, 2013
I have not had a chance to read this because I bought it as a gift for my mom who is a golden retriever lover. Her rescued golden had passed a few months earlier, and I wanted to get her something to help her with the loss. She loved it, and said there were many laughs, smiles, and tears while reading it.
VINE VOICEon February 11, 2014
Pure Gold by Holli Pfau is meant for Golden Retriever fans. Since I am a fan and love the cover, I couldn't pass up this book. I have read quite a few books about therapy dogs and think this is a good representative.

What really hooked me on this book were my own experiences with the places in her stories. I knew Huntington Hospital in Pasadena and all of Arcadia, California so this book brought many memories.

The first dog that she wrote about was Nikki. Nikki, one of the two living of a golden litter, was a natural. Gentle, caring and dainty, she was a true lady. Holli started taking Nikki to nursing homes and hospitals and the dog already knew exactly how to react to people dying of cancer, relatives who were losing their kin and to little children. She really didn't need training. The author goes on to detail the lives of five other goldens, some needing obedience training first and some eating rugs.

I recommend this book to all who love to read about therapy dogs, especially, goldens. This book is written carefully and with love for the dogs.
on March 27, 2013
This is one of the better books that I have read lately. Interesting story of the author's life and the Goldens she owned and rescued. I laughed, I cried and found it hard to put down. If you are a Golden lover you will especially enjoy the book.
on October 25, 2011
Pure Gold reminds us of how intertwined our lives can be with our dogs. From sharing simple joys to life changing decisions and the heartache of loss, Holli Pfau's beautifully written story is a tribute to the power of the human-dog bond. Each of her six rescued golden retrievers has his/her own unique personality that leads the author in directions she might not have chosen for herself. You will come away from this book with an appreciation of how lucky we are to have dogs in our lives.

Gay Robson
on February 16, 2012
Having loved dogs all my live and rescued Goldens for the last 7 years this book just was magical and depicted what my dream would be - living with Golden Retrievers in the wide open spaces of the West and letting them run, play and explore to their own (and Holli's) delight. Their Goldens come alive and become part of you as you read - with all the fun, joy, worry and tears that go along with having these amazing animals in your life. Sad moments but those are all part of living - I can't live without these dogs in my world and bless Holli and Walter for feeling the same and letting all of you know that you too can rescue and save a pet!
on November 25, 2011
I laughed. I cried. From page one to the end, I couldn't put it down. A talented writer, Holli's love and respect for her Golden Retrievers and how they've enhanced her life provide beautiful insight into the ideal human-canine relationship. A perfect, heartwarming, must-read for dog lovers everywhere.
on May 4, 2013
This poignant narrative will interest anyone who wants to learn about pet therapy or programs to rescue breed dogs. Pfau really explains the pride and wonder you feel when your dog is a successful pet therapy dog. (My dog Bug is a pet therapy dog and is included in my novels [ASIN:1610090624 Murder: A New Way to Lose Weight]).

More importantly, it will make any dog lover laugh and cry, sometimes simultaneously.
JL Greger,
on September 19, 2011
This is a must read for dog lovers, and the perfect gift for the dog lovers in your life; as a portion of all sales goes to Golden Retreiver Rescue. Holli is a gifted writer, drawing the reader into her life made whole by the presence of 6 very different Goldens. Her zest for life is inspiring, and her love of these animals is heartwarming. I loved this book!
on October 14, 2011
This is a wonderful read for all dog lovers! You'll be laughing and crying along with the author through the ups and downs, frustrations and elations of being owned by multiple dogs. Heart warming and highly recommended reading for anyone who enjoys reading about the human-dog bond. Enjoy!