5.0 out of 5 stars Pure enjoyment

3.0 out of 5 stars a good read
Published 20 months ago by J. Robert Ewbank

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure enjoyment, May 14, 2008
This review is from: Pure Goldwater (Hardcover)
For those of us of a certain age, Barry Goldwater was the prickly candidate for president in 1964, whose "extremism in defense of liberty" speech turned away millions of voters. But Goldwater stayed around long after that and it's a good thing he did. "Pure Goldwater", a neatly arranged compilation of his journal entries (along with some letters and speeches) reveals a much more complex and attractive man than the public got to know more than a generation ago.

The title of the book could not have been more appropriate. Here we see Senator Goldwater in all of his frankness, lambasting presidents with whom he worked, yet revelling in the love of his family, photography, flying and service to his country. In reading "Pure Goldwater" it's not hard to be in agreement with him on one page and subsequently want to wring his neck on the next. He seemed always to be on the cutting edge of the day's events, even when he was doing some of the "cutting", himself. It's fascinating to see him comment on every president from FDR to Clinton and there was much about most of them he didn't like.

Much of the book centers around his relationship with Richard Nixon and the trials and tribulations of Watergate and perhaps the most intriguing part of the book follows his recollections on summing up Nixon's chances in the Senate for impeachment survival. I remember that day well and how it changed my mind about Senator Goldwater. Here was a true statesman rising to the occasion in a most difficult time in our nation's history.

Barry Goldwater's seeming drift to the left regarding such issues as women's choice and gay rights no doubt sent shivers up and down the collective spines of his conservative colleagues. But Goldwater reasoned well and was always practical and this will be a big part of his legacy...a conservative man ahead of his time. "Pure Goldwater" is a pure joy to read and I commend John Dean and Barry Goldwater, Jr. for allowing us this terrific look at the senator...as told through his own words. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars TEN star Great book, May 7, 2008
This review is from: Pure Goldwater (Hardcover)
Let me state from the get go that I am a Senator Goldwater and President Reagan style Republican.

What I think this books value is in 2008 is how it sheds alot of light on Senator Hillary Clinton who was a Goldwater girl as well as Senator John McCain who in his pre 2008 years was more Goldwater minded than most people know. But he has gone off course so badly and isnt the same open honest straight talking express man he once was.

Also of interest to me was how Libertarian minded Senator Goldwater was and not the conservative Republican of recent years which is right wing Christian close minded mode. I say this as a Christian who is Goldwater mode.

This is a book that anyone interested in sanity, smaller government, and Constitutional law should read. Sadly so many people probably see Goldwater as some right wing zealot. Thats President G. W. Bush, not Senator Goldwater.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Pure Goldwater!, April 25, 2008
This review is from: Pure Goldwater (Hardcover)
Mr. Dean and Barry Jr. have culled from the late Senator Goldwater's personal archive the most telling letters and journal entries imaginable. Barry Goldwater not only comes to life, he literally leaps off the pages, and his words are as relevant today as they were when he penned them. OF PARTICULAR note are the letters to Sen. John McCain, who actually took over Barry's seat in the Senate. WOW - very interesting and VERY enlightening. Who should buy this book? EVERYONE loved Senator Goldwater as well as his critics and all WHO ARE CONCERNED with the upcoming election and beyond that, the place of the USA in general. I strongly recommend this work. It is brilliant. It is Pure Goldwater!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Goldwater, June 9, 2008
This review is from: Pure Goldwater (Hardcover)
Pure Goldwater is just what the title indicates, vintage, pure Goldwater. How good it was to read about my conservative, political hero once again. This book was a delight to read. Sen. Goldwater's character, honesty, and leadership traits shine throughout the book. You always knew where the good Senator stood on issues - he didn't waffle; the book does an excellent job bringing his noble traits out. There were few people in the 1960's his equal, and even fewer today. In your heart you know he was right then, and he is just as right today. Bravo for such a great book. Pure Goldwater should be mandatory reading for US History students.

5.0 out of 5 stars I found what i was looking for in this book, June 27, 2008
This review is from: Pure Goldwater (MP3 CD)
I live here in AZ and allot of things here are named after Goldwater. Some streets, buildings and foundations. And living here 12 years I know nothing about him! Only that he was a senator. My curiosity got the best of me and I ordered this book (audio book so I can listen on my way to work). And in finishing this book I feel I have a very intimate, honest, and broad look in to Goldwater's life. From the lil notes that he jotted down that were discovered, to whole letters written to and from the president!... It really shook me at the core, very raw stuff. Goldwater really had some simple and firm beliefs that once I was exposed to it (this book), I am now a firm believer. To go a step further, I considered myself a Democrat. After exposure to Goldwater's thoughts on many issues I realized how dead wrong I was on my stance as a Dem. I actually think now that I am a Republican or even a Libertarian (can't believe I just said that). More to the point, I'm a Goldwater believer now. To think, I almost cast my vote down the wrong path, & I am glad that I read this book in time for the election.

5.0 out of 5 stars ENTHRALLING READ!!, May 7, 2008
This review is from: Pure Goldwater (Hardcover)
What a Gem! Honest, thought-provoking, riveting and well-written. Pure Goldwater gives an insightful look at an important time in history. Entertaining and politically relevant during this election year. Conservatives will love it, and so will just about everyone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the read, September 18, 2013
This review is from: Pure Goldwater (Kindle Edition)
This book reminds me of why I call myself an unreconstructed Goldwater Republican. His blend of straight talk, uncompromising honesty and dedication to country should be models for politicians. He was once tarred as a right wing extremist but when he retired, many Republicans called him too liberal.
This book is written mostly in his own words in a journal and private correspondence never meant to be public. It is a rare insight into the private thoughts of a truly great man.

3.0 out of 5 stars a good read, December 28, 2012
This review is from: Pure Goldwater (Hardcover)
This book by Dean and Goldwater Jr. is not an apology for Goldwater's political life. Instead, they took letters and speeches etc. of Goldwater's and presented them. I liked Barry Goldwater even though not always agreeing with him because I thought he was honest and giving us his honest opinion. This book bears that thought out. Interesting reading and I was especially happy with the good relationship between Barry and his wife, unlike so many politicians today.

J. Robert Ewbank author "Wesley's Wars" and "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms"

Pure Goldwater
Pure Goldwater by Barry M. Goldwater (Hardcover - April 15, 2008)
$27.95 $23.09