5.0 out of 5 stars A performance knife for less
Published on March 8, 2010 by kitty pinkerton

2.0 out of 5 stars Sharp Knives! Poor Handle Design
We bought an entire set of these Knives. I read the praise from other Reviewers and they are right. These are wicked sharp and as careful as I tried to be, still wound up cutting myself while cleaning one.

Published on March 4, 2011 by LaxCoach37

5.0 out of 5 stars A performance knife for less, March 8, 2010
kitty pinkerton (SantaMonica, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pure Komachi 2 Series 8" Chef's Knife, Fuchsia (Kitchen)
This is a versatile knife that I use from carving meat to slicing vegetables. The blade is very thin, so if you're looking for a knife to cut through bones or a whole pumpkin, this may not be the best knife, but it'll easily slice paper thin garlic and mince shallots. The curved blade works great for chopping herbs and the sharp tip allows precise control over carving meat and fish.
I've been using this knife everyday for about 4 months now, and the blade is not showing any signs of dullness. I am planning on getting other series from this line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strange Color, but Amazing Knife!, March 9, 2010
This review is from: Pure Komachi 2 Series 8" Chef's Knife, Fuchsia (Kitchen)
We received a Shun santoku and this fuschia-colored Komachi last Christmas. The Shun is fantastic, but this knife gets used just as much. For some things, like cheese, fruitcake and other sticky foods, the Komachi is much better - slices thinly and cheese doesn't cling. It's lightweight and easy to control. We now have a few knives in the Komachi line and just love them (especially the bread knife) in spite of also owning and using the high-end Shun knives. At first, the bright colors of the Komachi were somewhat off-putting, but once we started using them we found them to be great, supersharp knives and there's no picking through the rack to find what one is looking for!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not a joke, December 8, 2010
This review is from: Pure Komachi 2 Series 8" Chef's Knife, Fuchsia (Kitchen)
I bought one of these knives 6 months ago as a joke to get me over the limit for free shipping on.
To my shock, it is not a joke, but a great performing chef's knife. I've used it for slicing,dicing and chopping veggies and herbs. It holds its edge and is well balanced. I've also used it for cutting beef for stew meat and slicing roast beef.

It's a thin blade so don't try cutting frozen meat and such with it.

I just bought 3 more of these knives for stocking stuffers for our married kids. I think they'll enjoy there pink knives too

3 Year Update
It's been 3 years and its still in daily use with only a couple scratches. It takes a steel about once a week to keep it chopping and slicing great. A sharpening about every 6 mo. to restores the edge. I only cut on wood or the cheap plastic cutting mats, so my blades don't get rough treatment, but they get used.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sharp knife for the price, August 28, 2011
Eric Peterson (Upstate New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pure Komachi 2 Series 8" Chef's Knife, Fuchsia (Kitchen)
First off, I read through the positive and negative reviews before placing my order, and the general concerns seemed to be that the handle felt cheap, was smaller than ideal and that the knife was too sharp.

If you're concerned the knife might be too sharp, maybe this knife is too sharp for you. It's very sharp, and that's exactly what my wife and I were looking for. The furnished apartment we just moved into came with knives, but nothing you can cut a tomato with, let alone peel a fruit or vegetable with. When we moved, we sent our belongs by boat, including several nice, sharp Japanese knives, and this knife honestly seems as sharp and as good at cutting as our nice Japanese knives that cost several times what this cost.

Regarding the handle, yes, it is a cheap plastic handle, and as a tall man with large hands, I can say that if I was the primary user of this knife, I'd like a larger handle. That said, my wife, who has slender hands but long fingers, has no problems with the knife handle size, and neither of us expected anything nicer than this for the price of the knife.

The knife coating actually does make rinsing food off the knife easier. If you rinse the knife as you're cooking with it, it rinses clean even when I wouldn't expect a standard knife to rinse clean. That's a nice bonus, and not something I was specifically looking for when I was shopping for this knife. If you let food dry on this knife and come back to it later to wash it, expect to have to scrub the food off just like you would with any other knife, but if you rinse right after you finish using it, it really does rinse clean, which makes cleaning it much easier. I'm not sure how the coating will hold up after repeated cycles in the dishwasher, so like many other things, we wash it by hand, and it looks and cuts great after dozens of uses and washes.

Honestly, as someone who really appreciates a nice and sharp knife, and who was happy to see "too sharp" as a complaint, I expected less from this knife, and was very pleasantly surprised by the job it's done. It was purchased to fill a short term void, as we expected it to be relegated to a spare when our belongs arrived from Japan, but this knife will continue to be one we regularly use, and it was a bargain at the price we paid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good knife, March 14, 2010
This review is from: Pure Komachi 2 Series 8" Chef's Knife, Fuchsia (Kitchen)
I love this knife. We've had it for a week and it is super sharp, has a great balance. I also like the thin blade, it does not crack things like mushrooms when I cut.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like the bright-colored paint? Eat it., January 31, 2012
This review is from: Pure Komachi 2 Series 8" Chef's Knife, Fuchsia (Kitchen)
I have owned this knife for over two and a half years now.
It is sharp and easy to handle, and I never have any real trouble cutting anything.

However, after about two years of moderate use, the bright-color paint starts peel off chip by chip
whenever I cut something more solid or sticky (potatoes, cheese block, etc.).

Where does the paint go? Your food!
The chips are so tiny and numerous it's not possible to pick them out...

Having eaten the paint for over six months (which I certainly hope doesn't contain lead),
I finally decided to get a new and better knife...

It seems to me that the bright-colored paint on the knife is not necessary at all,
since I never liked the color and the paint is the only reason I am tossing away the knife now...
(the knife is still perfectly sharp after two and a half years)

Although the peel-off of the paint is kind of scary and disgusting,
I can't really ask for more from a cheap knife that lasts for more than two years.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sharp Knives! Poor Handle Design, March 4, 2011
This review is from: Pure Komachi 2 Series 8" Chef's Knife, Fuchsia (Kitchen)

My gripe with these Knives are the Handle material. It is a Hard Plastic. It has no texture, design grip or rubberized coating, etc. It makes it not only feel super cheap, but outright dangerous for slipping when your hands are wet. I really was not expecting much for $8-10 a knife, but this is not something to overlook. The worst part is if the plastic gets a nick in it; you get a reminder of how cheap these knives are each time you use it, as the bur digs into you hand like a thorn. Sorry, Pure Komachi... I really wanted to like these Knives because the Blade is of fantastic high quality for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Color eh, but a really nice knife., July 30, 2012
TXdust "Gabe" (SAN ANTONIO, TX, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pure Komachi 2 Series 8" Chef's Knife, Fuchsia (Kitchen)
I have always been a from scratch cook. I often get knives as gifts when people don't know what else to get me. I have got a lot of gimkie knives that never seem to live up to their hype. So when my wife started wanting to learn how to cook I was some what hesitant when buying this knife. So she didn't damage my nice knives during the learning process, I wanted her to have a sharp knife that she could have as a one stop knife for slicing, dicing, and even in butchering a whole chicken. I found this knife and the color seemed weird for me, but she likes the look. The knife seems to have held its sharpness thus far, and I find myself grabbing this knife myself when slicing tomatoes. I decided instead of grabbing my mandolin last night to check how sharp the knife still was and sliced a couple potatoes to make homemade chips. A knife that needs sharping is dangerous with cuts like these, and I felt safe shaving away. I noticed food not clinging to the knife as much. The weight balance is a little different from my favorite knife but it still feels nice in my hand. I plan to expand out and buy the different knives made by the same company. Even though they will be for my wife I do look forward to seeing how they perform. The color was my only problem and that's not a big deal when compared to the price and quality

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely sharp, amazingly light, very suprised, February 4, 2012
This review is from: Pure Komachi 2 Series 8" Chef's Knife, Fuchsia (Kitchen)
I've bought and inherited a lot of kitchen knives. I don't like taking my expensive knives on trips and I hate lending them out to other people. I put a lot of work into my kitchen knives, when I get them I usually resharpen them setting a new bevel and polish the edge with a Japanese water stone. When I saw this knife on sale I got it to see what it could do (so cheap!) and at the very least have something I could loan out or travel with.

I was a bit shocked at the color when it arrived, it's a very bright pink. I took it out of the package and tested the edge and was surprised by how sharp it felt. I took it to a grapefruit and it pretty much push cut through the thing. Shocking. It comes from the factory scary sharp and I've been using it since without putting any work into the edge.

This knife is very light, maybe 1/4 the weight of a forged 10" Wustoff or Henckel, this will definitely disrupt your usual chopping method so I don't use it for all food prep. However, it is a fantastic slicer and I've been recommending people get these because there is nothing that comes even close in the same price range. After about a month of regular use, I've touched up the edge once on high grit stones, but if you don't like to sharpen, getting a new one every year isn't going to break the bank. The edge has held up pretty well, close to the performance of VG-10.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd Komachi for my wife, April 5, 2012
TxAgg2011 (Houston, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pure Komachi 2 Series 8" Chef's Knife, Fuchsia (Kitchen)
I took a chance on my 1st Pure Komache knife when they were on sale at Christmas 2011. It was only $7.00 buck, so not much to lose.

Very pleased and this is my second one purchased.

Knives are sharp and easy to handle. Works great cutting fruits, vege's, steaks, pork and chicken.

I will be replacing all of my older outdated wood handle knives with Pure Komache.

Pure Komachi 2 Series 8" Chef's Knife, Fuchsia