Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: PureSpectrum 20W Fully Dimmable Spiral CFL(2 Pack) 2700K 6000 hours (75W Equivalent)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on November 29, 2010
About a month or so ago, I ordered six of these because from what I'd read and seen online, these are the only true fully-dimming CFLs out there. That video on their homepage was really something, with the dimming comparison and all that. They arrived quickly and were packed well. I was so excited I put them in right away.

First things first, they do work in the regard that they provide light. That's why they get three stars from me. Baseline happiness.

But, that said... they are just as terrible as all the other brands when dimming. Don't expect what you see in the videos, where the magical twisty bulbs full of unicorn dreams and unbroken promises go from perfectly bright to perfectly dark without a hiccup. They don't dim smoothly, and that's that. At less than 25% power, they quickly flicker and go out. If you adjust the dimming too fast, all of them will flicker or go out. Now, it's not like someone told me Santa wasn't real, but I won't lie, I'm a bit disappointed that they don't work that much better than what I could pick up at a big box store for less.
1010 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2009
We have a dimmable fixture over our dinning area and up to this point I have not found a bulb that works as well as this bulb for dimming. It does not dim down to 0% but my guess would be down to 10%. The return on investment should be fairly quick too because we are using 75% less watts to light up our dining area. I would buy more if I had more sockets. I do need a 3-way CFL, and it would be nice if PureSpectrum would make that model.
on February 19, 2010
These PureSpectum CFLs dim perfectly and they instantly turn on when you flip the switch. No flicker, no buzzing sound, and no waiting to warm up! These are the real deal. I replaced all of my incandescent lightbulbs on dimmer switches with these PureSpectrum CFLs. They emit a soft white/yellow glow.
on November 10, 2010
This is an excellent product. It brightened up the room WAY better. We had incandescent because of the dimming control on the ceiling fan these are used in. Most everywhere else we use non dimmable CFLs.

The glass on these bulbs is thick and high quality.
The dimming works very well. This is very impressive as most "dimmable" cfls are under impressive.
They put off a good amount of light (which is a great feature in a light bulb)

They are also almost 2" longer than a regular bulb, so they stick out a ways past the glass.

The price - Ouch $5 + shipping is a lot for a bulb.
Other side of the coin - Ouch that is a lot of power to run the incandescent bulbs we had before.
Short term pain for long term gain. This is definitely the brighter choice.

I'd definitely give 5 stars if they were a smaller size and less expensive.
I'd probably give 5 stars even if they were the same price, but smaller like a normal bulb.
on March 26, 2010
After months of searching for CFL lights that didn't flicker with the dimming switches in our condo, we finally found this terrific product. They work great with our electronic dimmer switches and actually dim as advertised. They a very small amount of buzzing and flickering when at the very dimmest, but they far outperform anything else we've found.
on January 9, 2010
I've had these bulbs in my house for a few months
they light right away no waiting like most CFL'S
and they dim fairly well
unlike most dimmable bulbs I have tried and throw away
I just wished they sold in a larger pack 6 to 8 per pack
but their still worth the price paid
I purchased and received a 2-pack of this PureSpectrum 20W Fully Dimmable Spiral CFL back in August 2010. The two bulbs have been in service in my dining room for the past two years, until one bulb finally burned out last month. I have replaced the burn out CFL with a Feit Electric 13.5 Watt LED Bulb and found the latter to be a better product. When the next CFL bulb also burns out, I'll be sure to replace it with a dimmable LED bulb. This is because:

- Although this CFL bulb is advertised as "Fully dimmable", it does not dim all the way down. When the dimmer switch is at minimum, the CFL is still at (probably) 20% brightness. The new Feit LED bulb, on the other hand, gives a much wider dimming range. See the photos I uploaded to 'Customer Images' section, and you'll know what I mean.

- The first CFL bulb burned out after around 27 months of service. Assuming 5 hours of usage per days, that comes to just about 4000 hours runtime, instead of '6000 hours' as advertised. In contrast, most LED bulbs advertise 20,000 - 30,000 hours of lifespan.

Don't get me wrong, those CFL bulbs were great products when I bought them two years ago. Over the past 27 months, I must have saved at least $25 from each CFL bulb (see footnote section on how I arrived at this number). So I have no regrets buying those. It's just that over the past several years, LED bulb technology has advanced and prices have came down significantly, so now they are better choices for dimming applications.

[Footnote]
Here's how I calculated my saving for each CFL light bulb:
- The PureSpectrum 20W CFL bulb generates 1200 lumens of light output, which is equivalent to a 75W incandescent bulb. The power saving is therefore 75-20=55W.
- Total energy saving over 4000 hours is 55W * 4000h = 220KWh
- Assuming electricity cost of 14 cents per KWh, total saving in energy cost is $30.8
- Ordinary incandescent bulb has a lifespan of ~1000 hours, so in 4000 hours I would need to replace the incandescent bulb 4 times
- Cost of 4 incandescent bulbs = $4 (I'm only guessing here since I hardly bought any incandescent bulbs in the past 10 years)
- Initial cost of CFL = $9 (when I bought them back in 2010)
- Total saving = $30.8 - $9 + $4 = $25.8 per bulb after 4000 hours
review image review image
on January 23, 2013
dimmable CFL are hard to find, and expensive.
we purchased a three light lamp for over the dining table and using these bulbs really makes the lapm perfect
we have had no problems, they are instant on, no flicker, good 'color' (not yellow).
very happy and will save info for future purchases.
on March 2, 2010
These CFL's are great! I bought two when they first came out because I heard great things about this company and about they're products. The bulbs turn on right away at full brightness, not at half power like some CFL's claiming "instant on" do. They dim perfect all the way down to 5% or so and the best part is I know that I am saving energy and saving money by dimming these CFL's as compared to other dimmable bulbs that don't reduce energy consumption relative to dimming. When PureSpectrum gets more products on the market I'll be sure to replace all my lights with PureSprectrum bulbs.
on March 19, 2011
Just got these in and tried them in two different fixtures with a different type of dimmer in each fixture and both have a noticable buzz. Bulbs appear to dim well but they are just as loud as the cheap ULA's I had in already. So, I'm pretty disappointed because the noise is the problem that I really cared about. I will probably write the company and return these. Fixtures where a Leviton stepped dimmer and a Leviton DHC dimmer. The company that sold these 'The General Store' had fast shipping and I have no complaints about them.