Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on July 21, 2012
Purex baby detergent is really good. I was buying the expensive stuff when a lady in the isle said she use purex for her baby clothes.
The price is way cheaper at walmart. It is only $3. It goes so quickly at my local walmart. Whenever they are in stock I buy 6 so that I won't be caught without it. I highly recommend this product, but I won't buy it here. Go to walmart.
on October 26, 2012
I love this detergent. I've used several baby, hypoallergenic and even eco-friendly detergents. By far this is my favorite detertgent not only for my baby but also for my husband and my clothes. The smell is wonderful and really does get out the stains. My husband and baby have sensitive skin and as I would prefer to use something more eco-friendly, however all have either left my clothes smell ucky or didn't clean. We've used other baby and hypoallergenic detergents but this one gets out the stains, smells great and at half the cost. I highly recommend this detergent!
on September 20, 2012
My Subscribe & save of Dreft was no longer available and I was running low, so decided to try this since some people mentioned they liked it better than Dreft smell. I like Dreft, but I miss the strong smells of some things like Tide (2 small kids, one with skin allergies).
I did think this smelled different from Dreft, and I really liked it! It is stronger than Dreft, but I like that. Still sensitive enough, as it does not make my kids skin break out.
With three small children, including toddler twins, I'm always on the lookout for a gentle but affordable detergent that cleans well. Unfortunately, Purex detergents (both Free and Clear & Ultra Baby) have been anything but gentle as they contain chemicals that may trigger or worsen eczema. Not good when I do ten loads a week.

My two year old daughter is very sensitive to strong detergents (surfuctants), dyes and fragrances, so I first tried Purex Triple Action Liquid Detergent-Free & Clear-50 oz-33 loads as it claims to be hypoallergenic, dermatologist tested and 100% free of dyes and perfumes. It cleaned well, had no scent, but soon caused my daughter's skin to start itching and, after a couple of days, it dried out my hands, causing deep painful cracks worse than paper cuts. My hands never came in contact with the soapy water and I use double rinsing; I always wear gloves when washing dishes, so it took a while to figure out this was the cause. I realized the process of folding laundry alone (which I've done for years) was the cause - my hands were significantly worse and cracked every time I folded a lot of clothes washed in Purex. Why?

When compared to Tide Free's ingredients, I found Purex Free and Clear has sodium carbonate (soda ash) listed as the third ingredient (Tide has none). Some research turned up that it is a highly alkaline component in bleaching agents and automatic dishwashing detergents. It is corrosive, caustic and poisonous. Contact with skin can cause irritation, burns and blisters, especially when skin is wet. To prevent skin damage, skin must be flushed with water for at least 15 minutes. It can also cause severe eye damage (first aid of flushing eyes for 15 minutes is listed on the bottle for this, but not for skin contact). The rinse cycle in my washing machine is much shorter than 15 minutes, likely leaving a residue on the clothes.

It's not unusual to find this ingredient - sodium carbonate is used is some laundry detergents as a water softener and to enhance cleaning ability. It is also used in papermaking to break down tough fibers. However, given its effect on skin, it really has no place on a detergent for sensitive skin.

I found Purex Ultra Baby Liquid Concentrated Detergent 33 Loads, 50 Ounce (Pack of 2) was no better - it has even more allergens. Along with sodium carbonate as the fourth ingredient, it also has Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) as the second ingredient which, like Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), can trigger eczema, redness and dermatitis in sensitive skin. Added fragrance can also be a trigger.

To help heal eczema, (1) do not use any cleansers with sulfates - many cleansers and shampoos have it, Johnson & Johnson's baby wash (2) avoid Dove (it changed its surfuctant formula and can cause redness and intense itching in some, as it's detergent based) (3) try sulfate-free soaps and shampoos - your local natural foods grocer has an excellent line of fragrance and sulfate free shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and body wash. * Try Logona Logona FREE Glycerin Soap 3.5 fl oz - 3.5 fl oz(in blue box, imported from Germany) which is fragrance free, allergy tested and has no synthetic colors or preservatives.* CERAVE HYDRATING CLEANSER Size: 12 OZ is also very gentle.

If you need a truly gentle and hypoallergenic laundry soap, try Eco-Me Laundry Soap, Emma, 32-Fluid Ounce Bottle. I've found that it cleans well and leaves clothes soft. It has a PET#1 Container, 100% Natural & Chemical-Free, Sweet Tea scented, no dyes, no parabens, no preservatives, no SLS, SLES, ALS, no synthetic fragrances, no surfactants. Eco-Me does not test on animals or use animal bi-products and has a whole line of gentle household cleaning products on their website. As it is a gentle soap, it works best on babies' clothes, linens and delicates; Emma won't remove grease, ground-in dirt or tough stains. For that, Tide Free and Gentle, Free of Dyes and Perfumes, 50-Ounce is much better, and is the one we use almost every day.
66 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2013
I've been trying to find reasonably priced baby detergent, and decided to try this one out. So far I have no complaints, and it seems to wash my son's clothes well. It has a light scent, and has not irritated his skin. Dreft can get expensive, so I was super happy to find yet another baby detergent alternative, but half the price.
on May 19, 2014
I would give 4 stars for the product itself, but then you will dismiss this review and won't get my point. As another reviewer said (which I didn't read before) the price is almost double from the seller. You could get a 50oz bottle on bargain store (like Capri on PR or Walmart) for just $3 each bottle (5/18/2014). So, pay more if you couldn't find it anyware else or several months have passed since my review.
on March 27, 2014
I love this soap. I don't have a baby but I have a husband with sensitive skin and we have tried all the dye free fragrance free soaps and he was still braking out in hives so I thought what would be more easy on skin than something for a baby and sure enough it worked. He doesn't break out. If we stay in a motel he breaks out and a few days after we get home and he is back to his own sheets he is fine.
on December 4, 2015
I love this detergent for my kids laundry but the packaging was terrible unfortunately. The box was undamaged but once opened the plastic bag holding the product was soaked! Thankfully i was able to request a replacement with no problem.
review image review image
on April 9, 2015
Goldy Locks's son had sensitive skin and whilst lost amongst far-too-short shorts in Wallyworld, she sent out to find the perfect laundry detergent that, for the family, would be,6e juuuussst right. The 1st box; a powder detergent, smelled so strongly as a puff of air escaped the cardboard container. "This one smells too strong!" So, they went on to the next. A jug of very spendy detergent. Goldy Locks opened the lid, and although the smell was pleasant, the smell was one that she felt should only be used for the babies' clothes and not for the rest of the Locks family. One more to try... First, she notived the low price, she carefully opened the lid when *EUREKA!* She loved the scent... She found the ultimate detergent for the whole family! The Locks went home and excitedly washed their first load of laundry with Purex Baby and it came out smelling so fresh and feelknf so soft, tjeu wouldn't need to use any fabric softener! For the Locks family this detergent is juuuussst riiiiggghhthttt.
on June 12, 2014
I love the smell of this product! Just note, if you are looking for a soap with no perfumes this is NOT the soap for you. This soap does have a strong perfume. However, I just love it. Also, I use about half the recommending amount of soap in the laundry and it still does a great job of cleaning my son's clothes. I'm extremely happy with this purchase.