Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: DVD|Change

on November 1, 2011
Okay so this film throughout was absolutely fantastic to watch, it did live up to its expectations for the time period and the location where it was shot. Valeria Solarino, Isabella Ragonese and the directors have done their homework! The scenes of lovemaking have you falling all over yourself, though visually the first scene was a bit dark it can be handled.
Solarino takes her character to a whole other level with her drive and determination.
This has definately ranked in my top 10 Lesbian films, and trust me, that's a hard list to make.
This film is a must watch!
on April 5, 2011
This romantic drama set in the past on a picturesque Italian island is memorable and moving. The story of two girlhood friends who fall in love is very well done. The film is well directed and the production is professional and quite lyrical. The movie like many European movies moves at a leisurely pace while the story background is set-up. The period is depicted realistically and the performances are strong. The woman Angela and Sara are utterly convincing as the lovers whose devotion to each other is sweetly conveyed.
The other characters arn't as realistic, especially Angela's father who is portrayed as a sterotypical villain and her weak mother both come across as annoying.
Overall this is an good period film with great performances from the two gorgeous women who rebel against the restrictions placed upon their love.
44 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2013
Let me say first off that I really loved this movie. Because I've seen too many lesbian movies that were just so (!!!) badly made, acted, scripted, etc.,-I went into this film with really low expectations. However, I loved the story so much that I searched for the book to read (unfortunately it has no English version...and the book is tantalizingly based on a true story ) and actually purchased the dvd. Something I rarely do.
Purple Sea captured the period of turn-of-the-century Italy, small village life, and the societal expectations/superstitions of and for women. (The power of the Catholic church in small village life was especially interesting. ) Probably no surprise is that Jaguar and Aimee, (1999 German made) another very well done period (WWII) lesbian movie is also one of my all-time favorites. This movie compares pretty closely IMO.

The acting was first rate, although I didn't know any of the actors-I think the father and both lead actresses are fairly well known in Europe. Both actresses did a fantastic job in their roles and there seemed to be plenty of chemistry between them....

I did give it four stars because there were several scenes that did not transition into the next scene smoothly. It made the movie seem a little "choppy" and some scenes left questions unanswered as the film moved forward into the story. Also, though it might be because I didn't change settings on my computer screen...many scenes were just dark. So dark that it was hard to see what was going on. I'll add to this review when I receive and watch the dvd on my tv. My biggest complaint? I really, really wish the book had an English translation.
on June 15, 2011
Best ever lesbian period piece! Words cannot describe how beautifully done and intricate a storyline! Everything about this movie was done to perfection. I would give it 100 stars if I could.
on September 12, 2012
I like it... the actresses were beautiful and the person who played Sara did a fantastic job - both actresses did really... I do want to say though that if you're looking for a happy ending this is not the film for it.
on February 21, 2014
In a word - wonderful. This is now my equal favorite with Elena Undone. I agree with one of the reviewers - too bad I can't read the book, supposedly based on a true story. It might explain/clarify one or two of the puzzling scenes and characters (the father and the Baroness). But must say that this film is very, very well done and that the actresses were terrific in conveying overwhelming love, tenderness and genuine passion. I wish I understood Italian, since a couple of sub titles did not match what was really said (I understand Spanish and a little of school book Italian), so I wonder what might I have missed throughout. These are legit actors in this film. In fact, Maria Grazia, a top Italian actress is also - if I read the credits correctly - a producer as well as playing Agnes. The lovely music flows well with the movie and both the men and a few women were eye-candy, especially Valeria Solarino. Quite a brave pair these two given the time period it takes place in. In this particular case, love does conquer all. You can't help being caught up in it and I plan to buy it. I'm positive this film is not for everybody, but for those romantic, quixotic souls out there - yes indeed it is! The end left me wanting to know more - does Angela/Angelo revert to her true nature as a proud woman or remain disguised as a man as she was forced to in order to obtain her Sara? It begs an answer..............
on February 5, 2012
i have been dying to see this movie and its amazingly written and directed..had me on the edge of my seat at times ..the story of two woman in love in the early 1900s how they fought for one another and they're endless dedication to each other despite the hardships of that time and family .... a must watch ......que bueno!
on August 26, 2011
Well I have to say I really enjoyed this film. If you can't handle subtitles then don't bother. It was quite different than most lady love films I have seen. Very interesting and unexpected twists and turns. What some of the woman endure is beyond me. Fighting back a violent patriarchal rule, and pursuing happiness. Is it ever attainable? Nothing is as it seems. The emotion these actors portray is painful and raw.. Amazing !! Four stars because I love Foreign films. If your looking for a silly American love film this is not it. The depth of love these woman have one could only dream about. Serious film watchers only. In my view well,well worth the time. Vague yes, but I dont want to give it away.
on February 6, 2014
Set in 19th century Sicily, Angela and Sara have been friends all their lives. But Angela isn't like other girls, she's fearless, and when she develops feeling for Sara she won't hide them.

To maintain the forbidden relationship that blossoms between the two women, Angela disguise herself as a man. The two women challenge the rules of society in order to be together in this lush period romance.
on December 16, 2015
Amazing movie. Lesbian films tend to be lacking plot, well written script etc but this film has it all. Great acting, good chemistry between the two leads (who are beautiful) a great historical story line and is well filmed. Some scenes seem a little dark, that is my only complaint.