5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!
Despite the negative feedback, I decided to try out Purplicious. The name, as with Pinkalicious, was too cute to resist. I want to address some of the negative feedback from other buyers with my opinion.
Published on April 4, 2009 by T. Kirkwood

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunate Follow-up to a Gem
Published on November 16, 2007 by P. Augustine

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, April 4, 2009
This review is from: Purplicious (Pinkalicious) (Hardcover)
Some of the complaints came from parents of children under 5. If you use the "look inside" feature, you will see that the book is geared for 5-8 year olds. My 3 year old enjoyed the book; however, I am sure she does not fully understand the moral behind the story yet.
One response said "the mean girls don't even learn a lesson in the end." Well, that is a life lesson. Not every mean person learns a lesson. THAT is a lesson for the person being hurt. The lesson is that people are mean and you just have to ignore them, be yourself, and move on.
The book does have a negative tone and there are low points to Pinkalicious' feelings. However, many people have those feelings and do not know how to handle them. This book allows a child to learn that many people have down moments but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Yes, there are phrases like, "pink stinks", "pink is for babies", "pink ice cream is for sissies." So what!? Kids say these words and worse every day. It is a nice way to introduce things your kids will eventually hear in an environment in which parents can advise them on how to handle those types of words.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I will recommend it to anyone. It is not a happy-go-lucky, feel-good story. It is a story about personal preferences, how mean people can be, and how to be yourself!!! How can a story with that premise be so bad?!

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunate Follow-up to a Gem, November 16, 2007
P. Augustine (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Purplicious (Pinkalicious) (Hardcover)
Pinkalicious is a hugely loved book in my household, and we've shared it with friends and even read it at school in our girls classes (kindergarten and 1st grade). So we were excited about the prospect of a sequel. Fortunately, I read the new book, Purplicious, at a bookstore before purchasing. I was amazed at the consistently negative tone of the book and how how huge a downer it is. The final redemption at the end of the book comes too late, following a bombardment of negativity, and unfortunately, I don't believe it is enough to reverse the otherwise very sad tone of the book.

In this new book, Pinkalicious discovers to her horror that all her friends at school are now wearing black. The friends ridicule her mercilously for still loving pink when it is now out of fashion. Pinkalicious gets sad and depressed and puts all of her pink clothes away. Her parents and brother don't know what to do. She wears blue because she has the blues. Finally, in the last four pages of the book, Pinkalicious meets a new girl at school who shows how she can mix her beloved pink with blue and make purple, and finally Pinkalicious is happy again.

A 40-page book. 36 pages of relentless teasing, ridicule and sadness followed by a 4-page redemption. I opted not to purchase the book and don't think my girls would have enjoyed reading it.

Disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Book!, October 2, 2008
This review is from: Purplicious (Pinkalicious) (Hardcover)
I absolutely LOVED the message of this book. It shows that you should always be yourself and not follow trends or peer pressure. I must admit that I read this one before Pinkalicious, so maybe coming into it without expectation, I viewed it as a wonderful teaching tool on how children should be true to themselves (a theme that shows up often in my own work.)

In real life, the mean kids may not change. The only thing children can change is their view of themselves, which this book underscores.

So, yay for Purplelicious! A wonderful title to add to my collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lesson - opens discussions with children, March 25, 2008
This review is from: Purplicious (Pinkalicious) (Hardcover)
I am so sad to see all the negative reviews on this book. The first time I read both Pinkalicious and Purplicious to my three year old daughter I was concerned about the words used and subject matter. In both cases, the book has opened up great discussions with this little person who understands more than we realize and needs help forming her opinions and actions when faced with mean girls, bad words and too many cupcakes! Hiding our children from situations they will most likely face does not protect them. I wish I could protect my girls from all the bad things that happen out there but we all know that is not reality. So why not start to introduce them to these moments through a little girl they have learned to love.

4.0 out of 5 stars The reality of teasing, April 9, 2011
Amazon Customer (Sam Mateo, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Purplicious (Pinkalicious) (Hardcover)
People seem to dislike this book because it deals with a reality that young kids actually face: teasing. Readers are disappointed that Purplicious is not a fluffy book in which a cute kid does cute things, with much hilarity ensuing. I am a parent of a 6-year-old, and I have volunteered in a kindergarten classroom. Teasing happens. It hurts kids, sometimes a lot. My daughter said recently, with tears in her eyes, "I still like princesses but the kids make fun of me. Now I can't like them anymore." This is the reality that kids actually face. As parents, how do we help children deal with it? Do we hand them a book about a cute kid with no problems? That doesn't help kids. If anything, books like that make them feel like something is wrong with them for having problems. I applaud Purplicious for addressing the issue of teasing. My complaint is with the ending, which is not realistic. The main character is "saved" by someone else. Kids need to learn how to stand up for themselves.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT buy if you liked Pinkalicious, November 18, 2007
D. Paynter (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Purplicious (Pinkalicious) (Hardcover)
My 4 and 5 year olds loved Pinkalicious so when I saw Purplicious was coming out I was excited and pre-ordered it, and now, I am returning it! It is an AWFUL follow-up to a wonderful book. We were sooo disappointed. Pinkalicious is adorable and all about a little girl that loves pink, one might assume that Purplicious would be adorable and all about a little girl that loves purple. . . but no! It is all about mean girls who hate pink, make Pinkalicious feel bad, and then the mean girls don't even learn a lesson in the end. I have been a big fan of Pinkalicious, but the Kann sisters and Harper Collins should be ashamed that they released this with any association to their earlier book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoidalicious, December 28, 2007
This review is from: Purplicious (Pinkalicious) (Hardcover)
My daughters loved Pinkalicious so we were very excited to see Purplicious. Unfortunately this book was a big disappointment. It is not nearly as charming as Pinkalicious. The last 2 pages are the only pages that make the book worthwhile. Sadly this book misses the mark.

This was definitely a waste of my money and a let down for a Christmas gift.

4.0 out of 5 stars Namby Pamby Land...., December 2, 2010
carol in austin (austin, tx United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Purplicious (Pinkalicious) (Hardcover)
I love the Geiko commercial with the drill sergeant therapist and those of you who have bashed this book need a good dose of this guy! This book addresses exactly what your children are exposed to at school and if you don't believe it...spend some time on the playground during recess. One of the reviewers said this book missed the mark...no I think YOU missed the whole point of the story. Hopefully you aren't sheltering your precious little princess from everything negative or mean. If you don't teach her now how to deal with negativity and meanness, she is going to be ill-equipped to ever handle it. My goodness. This book does not glorify the girls who are mean, instead it presents the reader with two types of behavior and character. I don't think your little girl is going to finish the book choosing the mean girls to imitate but rather I would think she would choose to be her own person and hopefully more closely identify with the child who supported and encouraged Purplicious in her love of purple. Sheesh....you people need to take the lead with your children and use a book such as this as a lesson to be learned. My 6 year old granddaughter loves the book and she "gets" it! Sadly many of you who are older and who should be wiser DON'T get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit harsh, just like real life., January 18, 2011
This review is from: Purplicious (Pinkalicious) (Hardcover)
After reading all the negative reviews, I really did not want to buy this book for my then 4.5 year old daughter. However, she got Gramma to read it to her in the bookstore and begged me to buy it for her. I refused. Flash forward a year and a half later and guess what? my sweet 6 year old has encountered some very mean older girls who have told her that they "hate pink" and that "pink is for babies." (She still adores pink!) It's hard for some children to be accepted and with all the pressure on little girls to grow up and dress like little women, wear make up and be cool, it's refreshing to see a message that says it's okay to love pink and be yourself.

I get that this may not apply to very little kids and hopefully most people who reviewed this book with one star and threw it away won't need to get another copy to comfort their child like I did. I wish bullying did not exist, but it does. Kids can be very cruel. Be open to talking about peer pressure and bullying with your kids. This book opens the door for that when you feel they are ready.

P.S. My son who is 10 says he likes the book for the message it sends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purplicious should be required reading, January 12, 2008
This review is from: Purplicious (Pinkalicious) (Hardcover)
The Kann sisters' "Purplicious" is a brilliantly illustrated and written book which allows a child to face diversity, experience the kind of feelings that real girls (and boys) feel when they are different, and go through the steps of integreting that unique personality through friendship and opening up oneself to sharing. Girls and parents and teachers should applaud the Kanns for creating a character that everyone can relate to, who experiences the kinds of problems children actually experience in schools. Children DO tease each other and single out those who aren't "cool" or following the herd. It celebrates independence while showing that the road to staying true to oneself is not necessarily an easy one. The world is not perfect, and we are doing a disservice to our children by showing only rainbows and hearts and children who are always kind to each other. This book should be required reading, both for its charming illustrations and for its intelligence. When we fell in love with Pinkalicious, we adopted her as our own. Now we have an opportunity to see our beloved girl facing the kinds of difficulties we all face, especially in school. We owe this book to our children; I was so grateful to have a chance to open up a discussion to my young ones about individuality and peaceful ways to accept the sometimes hurtful things that children might say to each other, often out of fear of standing out... in language and visuals that they could understand. Verbal/mental bullying is one of the most significant problems in our schools today, and children go into the world unprepared for it.
We are looking at a new and brilliant generation of children's books; I am truly grateful for this series, and am looking forward to the next installment. I think we will have the opportunity to see Pinkalicious go through many of the trials and tribulations that real girls go through, and can serve as a guide for the wonderful unpredictable world of growing up.

Purplicious (Pinkalicious)
Purplicious (Pinkalicious) by Victoria Kann (Hardcover - October 16, 2007)
$17.99 $12.59