2,020 Reviews
 (1,207)

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring
The Purpose Driven Life is a devotional book, and with over 30 million copies sold, it's become quite popular. So what's all the fuss about? Well, the book offers readers a 40-day personal spiritual journey, and presents what the author says are God's five purposes for human life on Earth. They are:

1 You were planned for God's pleasure
2 You were formed...
Published on September 2, 2011 by C. Johnson

1.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS NOT A BOOK
I can not tell you how disappointed I am to realize that this is not a book but a small pamphelt.

I own the purpose driven life (amazing and life changing book) and I though this was another book with similar characteristics but its not.

In fact this pamphlet is pocket size. Very disappointed. I dont know if I was misled or if I was not paying...
Published on October 22, 2012 by JUAN

5.0 out of 5 stars A life without purpose?, February 27, 2004
By A Customer
I am confused and confounded by all of these one star reviews. Perhaps it really is one person repeatedly posting, I don't know, buut what I do know is that a life without purpose is not much of a life at all.
Pastor Warren really delivers in this book. It is not Pastor Rick Warren's opinion or based on theory, it is based on fact and is backed by biblical scriptures.
If you can't trust the word of God, who can you trust?
Perhaps some people feel uneasy about scripture. They are the people that need this book the most! And I would add one other---THE BIBLE!
Ric Warren offers powerful advice. If you will follow his program for just 40 days, your whole life will change. It has helped me and everyone that I know.
Great book. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very inspiring book, February 22, 2004
By A Customer
The Purpose Driven Life inspired me to make several changes in my personal and business life. For one, I am now more active in my church and in regard to family, I am now spending more time with family where previously I was a workaholic going for the money, spending way too much time at work and giving whatever was left (which wasn't much) to my family.
The Purpose Driven Life is an OUTSTANDING book that will impact your life. This is truly a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive book - definitely a must read, November 22, 2003
This book was recommended to me by one of our church leaders who in turn had it recommended to him by our minister. Anyone who is a bonifide christian and has practiced faithfully christian principles (not those who quickly pervuse a bible and few other religion based books to write nasty review and try to appear knowledgeable) will understand the value of this incredible book by Rick Warren.
Other books I recommend are "The Traveling Light", "The Prayer of Jabez" and "The Case for Christ."

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, November 17, 2003
Our family really enjoys this book. We read a chapter every day and that includes our children. Sally and Paul listen as we read a chapter per day after our evening meal. It's like high protein for the soul.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to make the most out of life. The Purpose-Driven Life is an OUTSTANDING book and I highly recommend that you share it with your families.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Good, The Bad and the Ugly..., April 13, 2004
Robert Anderson (Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews
Overview:
I read this book as part of a "40 days of purpose" groups. We read one chapter per day and met once per week to watch a Rick Warren video and discuss the reading.
The Good:
From the videos it's clear that Rick Warren is a warm, friendly, self-deprecating guy whose heart is in the right place. He's trying to help clarify for people what the Christian life should look like and despite the success of this book and program it's clear from the videos that he's not in it for the money.
As for the content itself, it's not bad. Essentially, Warren extracts from the Bible 5 "purposes" for our lives and then supports these purposes with Bible verses, anecdotes, etc. Warren's way of organizing the material will help some people to see their Christian life from a new perspective.
The Bad:
He strongly emphasized that our "performance" here on Earth is a test and how we do here will determine our lot for eternity. Despite being a Christian I don't believe that. I believe that our physical life here on Earth is just a tiny part of a much larger spiritual journey and that spiritual growth and advancement continues after our physical death.
The book seemed to suggest that we all should be doing "more". I personally believe that a lot of what God wants for us to do in life is accomplished simply in our everyday task of getting up and going to work and raising a family. I don't believe that "guilt" should be the motivation behind doing more church stuff, and in fact I believe that we are all too busy as it is and that this pathological business in our society actually serves to keep us from the quiet, contemplative life that God intended.
The emphasis of the material is too much on how we can "do" more to help the church, - as if doing more things will bring about the inward transformation of the Holy Spirit. I personally believe that this inward transformation occurs when we "unbusy" our lives, and that outward good works will result from that inward transformation and not vice versa.
The Ugly:
As so many others have done, Warren invokes Einstein's famous quote "God does not play dice" - egregiously out of context - to make a religious point. For the record, Einstein used the word "God" metaphorically in that quote - he could just as easily have said "the universe" because he wasn't professing a belief in God he was simply critizing quantum physics (because it asserted that there is a random element in the behavior of sub-atomic particles as opposed to classical physics which asserts that if we had perfect knowledge we could predict the behavior of sub-atomic particles)! Arrggh! Sorry - personal pet peeve.
Bottom Line:
If you need a spiritual "pick-me-up" or to get a better sense of purpose in your Christian life this book might do the trick. If you're a bit more analytical and don't like "Powerpoint" Christianity you probably won't like this. Personally I enjoyed the associated discussions and videos but felt that the material itself didn't break any new ground for me.
Recommendations:
"The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning - A wonderful discussion of the magnatude of God's love - for Christians who have problems or addictions, or feel like spiritual failures, or have been beat up by life.
"A New Kind of Christian" by Brian McLaren - A great story about a pastor who loses his faith and finds it again while coming to a new understanding of how Christian thought is evolving with time.
"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho - a spiritual "fable", rich in symbolic meaning for all spiritual seekers.
"Putting on the Mind of Christ" by Jim Marion - for Christians particularly impervious to heresy and willing to read a more involved, serious, and thought-provoking treatment of the symbolic, mystical message of Christ. You'll be tempted to scream and throw the book away several times while reading it, but if you stick with it and mull over the ideas presented it will radically change the way you view your own spiritual journey.

2.0 out of 5 stars This helped tear apart our church, May 28, 2005
We started reading this book in our church as part of small groups. At first it was OK, but the more and more I read, the more I did feel like I was reading a self-help psychology book and not Scripture. All my life, I grew up reading the NIV and King James Versions, so to suddenly flip around to 15 different versions of the Bible, felt very strange to me and confused me a lot. What was even worse, was when our church took the "Baptist" out of their name and now it is just called blank church. This is a Rick Warren idea. And our pastor started quoting verses from all these different versions, including "The Message", which I consider to be paraphrasing at best, and getting close to changing the Word of God. This was very divisive and caused a number of good Bible people to leave the church.

The bottom line with Rick Warren is this. He gets a "fresh new idea" in his head and then pastes and copies parts of Scriptures, sometimes only parts of verses from different versions, to justify his pre-conceived point. I do think Warren means well, but he's getting awfully close to the borderline on whether or not he is changing Scripture. Warren seems to de-emphasize forgiveness and hell, and his whole thing seems to be an attempt to deceive people into Christianity, not boldly proclaim the Gospel as Paul did. My big fear is that church will become a bunch of social activities but that you will have a lot of people who theologically know nothing, making them unable to truly share the Gospel. I know Warren meant well, but his methods are divisive and controversial and I would personally stay away from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I found it!, November 23, 2003
By A Customer
I had been searching for a quality book and this is it. Based on scriptures, this book helped me find my life purpose and I highly recommend it to everyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Superficial and Disasterously Written, October 20, 2003
"plefevre5" (Valencia, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This book is so ridden with cliches, arbitrary lists, generalizations and straw men, that I could hardly see through its good intentions and doctrinal truth. I have no argument with the theology of the book, but huge issues with the writing, structure, style, marketing and presentation. Statements like "The most shocking thing is that Almighty God wants to be your friend," just make me wince--over and over, the author says the obvious in terms of the outrageous. Another favorite device of the author: making a bold stand against a position no one is taking. "God doesn't want us to be robots," he courageously asserts, as if anyone was making the case that God DOES want us to be robots.
This book is a perfect example of what I call "Power Point Christianity," in which difficult, complex, challenging issues of faith are watered down to bumper stickers, Sunday School-level questions, and platitudes like "The heart of the matter is a matter of the heart." That is simply thoughtless writing masquerading as profundity; no more insightful than "A stitch in time saves nine."
Finally, the IDEA that anyone could discern God's purpose for their lives in 40 days of simplistic reading and facile questions is hard for me to believe. It's possible--miracles happen--but I am very very skeptical about the long-term efficacy of this program. Ten years from now, let's see how influential this book has been and how much people are directing their lives by it. I think this book will be viewed as just another fad, a momentary craze, and that the dust jacket endorsement of this book calling it the "My Utmost for His Highest" of the 21st century will look laughable. My advice on this book: save your money. I got more, spiritually speaking, out of "A Tale of Two Cities," and I am not joking.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good book, May 1, 2004
By A Customer
I picked this book up at our local Costco several days ago. So far I have gotten about half way through it and already feel changed.
To me this is like a mental and spiritual enema. There is so much garbage out there and so man negative influences. Since reading this book I have kicked the beer habit and not longer play pc games. I was hooked. I was also hooked on horror movies like Motel Hell and such.
Rather than watch that junk, I am now watching a set of Bible video tapes featuring Charleton Heston. I also went to see The Passion and this weekend started to go back to church for the first time in years.
I threw away all the pc games that I had. What a wanton waste of thime that was! Instead, I am researching religious articles on the internet and reading The Bible right along with The Purpose Driven Life.
I cannot recommend this book enough. It has changed my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and timely book, April 10, 2004
By A Customer
With so much confusion and even hate in the world. With so few people knowing what to do or where to go and considering that I am writing this on the Eve of the Resurection of Jesus Christ, I cannot think of a better, more appropiate time than right now to read and apply the concepts in this book.

The Purpose-Driven Life Journal
The Purpose-Driven Life Journal by Rick Warren (Hardcover - November 1, 2002)
Used & New from: $0.01