5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Fun
This game is actually quite good. The cats are strikingly realistic and are adorable to play/interact with.

The graphics are terrific. The sound is above average, but the 3DS's speakers just aren't that great to begin with.

I was a big fan of the Nintendogs series, and if you liked that series then I highly recommend Purr Pals game as well.
Published on May 25, 2012 by Andrewljpolo

2.0 out of 5 stars Cuteness cannot save this game!
This game is such a painful disappointment. I loved the first version (on DS), despite so many others saying that one was bad. But this one is quite nearly abysmal. I almost never rate anything badly because I try to see the good in everything but this game has little merit and here is why. And to be nice, I will start with the good.

PROS:
+ cute...
Published on June 2, 2012 by Joey's Girl

2.0 out of 5 stars Cuteness cannot save this game!, June 2, 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Purr Pals: Purrfection - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)

PROS:
+ cute kittens
+ a FEW of the mini games are slightly fun
+ sounds are decent
+ environments & toys are cute
+ kitten is cute/funny sometimes while playing
+ kitten has some realism sometimes
+ there are a lot of achievements to strive for. Some easy, some hard.

CONS:
- the loofah mini game (bath) does NOT WORK. It lets you bathe the kitten halfway then stops and when you give up, then the kitten whines that it wants a bath (loofah). Why does it stop? The only thing I can figure is bad programming. All these suds form and I think the screen is too "busy" and it sort of crashes the game, or something. Rinse the kitten and it's like the bath never happened. BAD!
- no store! You do not buy things for your kitten, EVER. The food, water, soap, and litter is automatically used when needed and you never see any indication of supply. After feeding the cat and playing a long time, I fed the cat again but it was given an empty bowl and the cat looked at it puzzlingly then walked away. Same with water. Makes no sense.
You also do not ever buy supplies or toys for your kitten. You can only "win" them by completing certain tasks. While some might find this to be a nice change, I do not. I'd rather win my cash by playing the games and then going to the little store and buying what I want. You never get to do that in this game!
- 3D/non 3D distortion. The kittens have this ugly triple shadow thing around them whether 3D is off or on and it looks bizarre. It's like the programmers were trying to scale these for 3D and went to lunch halfway through and never came back. That is just plain awful. It's hard to describe, but it really diminishes the graphics of this game.
- bad mini-games overall. A few are tolerable but most are very lame with terrible and uncomfortably confusing controls that require use of the stylus and several buttons and d-pad, while the kitten in the game gets in the way of you trying to play the mini-games. In a word, this is total FRUSTRATION! I play games to have fun, not get mad.
- no "needs" meters. How can you ever tell if your kitten needs food, water, love, etc? Well, sometimes a bubble pops up over their head that indicates a need for a moment. But what difference does that even make? You get an achievement award the first time you fulfill that need, and thereafter it's irrelevant. You could starve your cat and nothing changes. Sad, but true.

I am confused as to what went wrong with this game. You'd think they were on to something really cute when it first starts out. You get the impression that this is the "Nintendcats" that never was. Looks like it's modeled loosely after the Nintendogs games. But no. Not even remotely close. Looks can be very deceiving. Do not be fooled by how cute this game looks. It fails BAD. If I had found this game on clearance for five bucks, I'd still be disappointed just the same as I am after paying thirty, and that's saying a lot because I own a lot of "duds" in my 370+ DS/3DS game collection that I learned to love or found at least enough merit in to keep them. Not the case with this game. :(
I just had to review this to warn others. This game is severely flawed! :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Fun, May 25, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Purr Pals: Purrfection, August 5, 2013
This review is from: Purr Pals: Purrfection - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
can't have a real pet this game is wonderful in 3d makes it more life like a pet to love and cherish without the clean up and no doctor visits fun for the whole family.

5.0 out of 5 stars very cute!, May 2, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Purr Pals: Purrfection - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
My 6 yr old daughter loves it! It keeps her entertained and that's hard to do for my busy body daughter! Even I have to admit that it's pretty cute!

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs improvement, January 26, 2014
This review is from: Purr Pals: Purrfection - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
Graphics: The graphics are wonderful in the game, but some of them are glitchy. When you give your cat sunglasses, the middle part goes through the fur. Also, the game autosaves which freezes my 3DS. It tends to freeze when I play with the mouse toy and mouse games. Maybe it's the fact that I bought the game used as "like new," but it shouldn't freeze. I never had a problem with used game before. You can also change the house theme which some are very beautiful after you unlock it. However, they are not very customizable in comparison to DS Purr Pals where you can pick which wallpaper, etc. for your house to be. The most you can customize your home more is adding pieces of furniture to your house.

Gameplay: The gameplay is most similar to Petz Catz Playground. You have to wait for your cat to tell you when it's hungry, thirsty, want to use litter, or play with toys/games. Your cat would also want to let you know if it wants to wear a specific item. The con of all of this is your cat's breed personality plays a factor in what they need. I chose a Russian blue which are very playful in this game. It may be active, but it seems it rarely wants to eat/drink/litter except once a day. The cat would also repeatably want the same things after you played the game/toy already. It does not make sense and soon gets boring.

Caring for the Cat: Feeding the cat is not as interesting as Petz Catz Playground or Purr Pals (DS). It is most similar to Petz Catz 2 but even more dry. There is no supply store; giving your cat water/food is regenerable. But worse of all, you can't even see if the bowl is full. It's very unrealistic. It seems my cat is drinking/eating out of an empty bowl while eating the same thing everyday. What's also unrealistic is the fact that you have to tell your cat to use the litter box unlike Petz Catz 2 and Purr Pals where you clean the litter box. You can also give your cat a "bath" with the loofah, but realistically, cats bathe themselves. It's unrealistic to wash your cat.

Sounds: When you pet, groom, and brush your cat, your cat will purr in the same way/act the same way. This showed how lazily the game was designed. Basically most mechanics of the game are recycled and repetitive. Your cat will keep purring for a couple of seconds after you stop grooming/petting/bathing it. Very glitchy. Though I figured how to make the cat stop purring when you bathe it: after you click the water sprayer, click the loofah before closing the game, so the water sounds turn off.

Games: As the other review mentioned, some games are slightly fun. Only a few are fun games to play. I found myself often clicking on the game my cat wants to play just to get more Purrs (points), but I can escape playing the game by not clicking on it. This is how I farm Purr points without even playing the game. The games at first are difficult to play because of the controls, but I got used to it as I played them more. The controls try to be realistic as in real life for tossing things such as balls and disks. This is something different, but it does not mean it is all enjoyable. The games in Petz Catz Playground are much funner.

Toys: The toys aren't that great to play with. In fact, some toys, your cats will go through it like a glitch. The toys are also from the games you play with. It's the same mechanics like playing the games without getting an award.

Adopting cats: The game mentions you can adopt from 40 cat breeds, but so far after unlocking a couple of cat adoption slots, it still appears to be 12. Once you adopt another cat, everything will be reset, including decorations/furniture. You will have to earn all of those again on your new cat. But that will be repetitive despite each cat has different personalities. What the game should done is allow your cat to meet the new kitty rather than separating them. It would be more realistic and funner when adopting more cats to see how they would interact together. Unfortunately, allowing your cats to see each other is nonexistent in the game.

In comparison to the other DS cat games (Purr Pals, Petz Catz 2, and Petz Catz Playground), this may be the "worst" of all. The only good improvement is the graphics and some of the gameplay. The games at least are funner than the first Purr Pals. I still like the first Purr Pals best even though the graphics are not as good. I closely rank this game with Petz Catz 2, but taking care of your cat is much funner in the DS game.

So is this worth the full $30 list price? No. It's a beautiful game, but overall quality is worth under $10. Get the game in very good condition/used under $10. It's worth something at least to add to a cat lover's game collection. Hopefully Nintendo will release an improved cat 3DS simulation in the future that can top all the DS cat simulations.

Purr Pals: Purrfection - Nintendo 3DS