5.0 out of 5 stars Wisdom, Insight and Grace
Published 8 months ago by Glynn Young

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
could not really get into this book
Published 24 days ago by AnneK

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wisdom, Insight and Grace, December 27, 2013
The art of the journal is practiced for any number of reasons – to remember what we might forget; make observations; remember significant words, phrases, quotations, and ideas; take notes; and so on. It was some years ago that I noticed people at work beginning to take up “journaling” – to keep track of the multitude of meetings required in modern organizational work life.

I keep a journal, too, for all of the above reasons, but most of all for writing drafts of articles, blog posts, and poems. Sometimes I combine several of those journaling functions –take notes from a sermon in the form of poems, for example.

Jean Fleming is a mother, grandmother, and former member of The Navigators staff, with assignments in California, Korea, Colorado, Arizona, Seattle, and Colorado. She is also the author of several books: "A Mother’s Heart," "Feeding Your Soul: A Quiet Time Handbook," "Finding Focus in a Whirlwind World," and "The Homesick Heart: Longing for Spiritual Intimacy." Fleming also keeps a journal, which has been transformed into "Pursue the Intentional Life."

This is not simply a reprint of a writer’s notes, jottings, and observations. Instead, Fleming has created a cohesive understanding of why life should be pursued intentionally, that life is not simply something “that happens” but is instead filled with purpose and meaning, and often profound meaning.

“Numbering my days,” she writes, “forces me to confront universal and irreducible truths. Life is short. Soon my life on earth will give way to my life in heaven. Rather than leading to panic, the reality leads to a peaceful and settled urgency. Although thoughts of heaven are so lovely to consider, the Lord reminds me that my short stay on earth is my only chance to honor Him with faith and faithfulness. Isn’t this, after all, gaining a heart of wisdom?”

And gaining a heart of wisdom is what lies at the core of "Pursue the Intentional Life." This is a book meant to be read slowly and savored, with wisdom and experience reflected on every page. It isn’t a “finding joy in 10 easy steps” book that can be devoured in a few hours and then tossed aside, forgotten like most of those books should be. It is a thoughtful, carefully constructed, work, filled with what Fleming has learned about faith, life and God over a lifetime.

She also de-romanticizes what a life of faith is, even including a chapter with that title. Life is hard. Faith is hard. But both life and faith offer great reward.

"Pursue the Intentional Life" is what I’d call a wisdom book. It’s not a book that could have been written by a millennial or a GenX-er. It’s not a book written for people focused on time management and squeezing even more activities into a hectic schedule. It is a book written, as writer Monica Sharman suggests in the foreword, for people asking the question, “What kind of woman (or man) am I becoming?”

And Fleming answers that question with insight and grace.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Much-Needed Book for Living the Final Quarter of Life with Purpose, April 6, 2014
My husband and I share the view that in God's service (and that would be all of us who have trusted Christ as our Savior), there is no such thing as "retirement." This author does an excellent job of laying out scripturally the importance of "finishing well." This book is rich with spiritual and practical application and is a must-read for anyone approaching 50 and older.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, February 4, 2014
As I young mom, I was deeply impacted by Jean Fleming's book, "A Mother's Heart," and when I a review of this book by another reader, I knew this was a book I wanted to read as well. After only reading the first few chapters, I began sharing with others the impact this book was having on my life. I now meet with a small group to discuss how this book is challenging us. A MUST read by anyone who wants to make sure that they do not get to the end of their life with unnecessary regrets.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Manual for how to live your life well, January 31, 2014
This is a wonderful book for helping you think about how you want to live your remaining years here on earth and leave a lasting impression for Christ. I feel that Jean is speaking my own heart's thoughts and putting them into words in a way that I wish I had the ability to do myself. This is a great book. Years ago when I was raising my children I read and re-read Jean's book " A Mother's Heart", it was my go to book on child rearing and feeling my worth as a mother in the every day chores of home life. This new book will be my book to read and cherish as I finish up my race here on this planet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Encountered God on every page, June 10, 2014
This review is from: Pursue the Intentional Life: "Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." (Psalm 90:12) (Paperback)
This is a fantastic read, written from a woman who walks that delicate balance between great wisdom and great humility. She never comes off as a know-it-all, yet every page holds tremendous wisdom -- earned through years of walking the talk. I loved this book. I underlined, highlighted, circled, wrote in the margins. I encountered God on every page, and it gave me an eternal perspective that my heart has been longing for. This is a book not to be missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart touching, March 16, 2014
Frankie McFeron-Crumb (Coeur d'Alene, ID USA) - See all my reviews
I did not want this book to end. Jeans words touched my heart, right where I am. Starting my seventieth year. Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Searching, Asking, Walk-with-Me Book, November 27, 2013
The Jean Fleming I have come to know, now in her seventies, is not old. A vitality radiates from her countenance and posture. She always greets me with an exuberant "Hey!" With alert eyes and listening heart, Jean seems to catch everything -- the hidden meaning in my words, the unspoken emotions in my spirit. Winsome, attentive, and energetic, she attracts people to Christ. She thinks strategically about ministry concerns with youthful fervor. If Jean were a tree, she would be "full of sap and very green" (Psalm 92:14, NASB).

If a woman like this writes a book originating in the questions: "What kind of old woman am I becoming?" and "Lord, how do You want me to think about the rest of my life?" then I am certainly going to read it.

Pursue the Intentional Life has future as well as immediate practical impact. Though you'll find phrases like "old woman" and "ending wisely" and "fiftieth year in Christ" in the following pages, this book is not specifically for "old people." Pursue the Intentional Life is for you who want to see the big picture of your life and God's purposes. It is for you who don't want to revert to default or live a haphazard life on cruise-control. It is for you who seek to live meaningfully and intentionally in the present while preparing well for the future. This book could be for the middle-aged parent facing transition or crisis, the elderly considering his last days, or the twentysomething excited about a full life ahead.

Essentially a private journal made public, each chapter lets us listen in on Jean's conversations with herself and with God. Though Jean is a gifted teacher, here she doesn't teach so much as invite. "Welcome," the front cover conveys. "Come in and see what the Lord is showing me."

(This review is an excerpt of the foreword I wrote. See "Look Inside" sample for the entire foreword. --Monica Sharman)

5.0 out of 5 stars Need a mentor? Wisdom to take home here., March 21, 2014
I enjoyed reading Jean's accumulated wisdom from her years of walking with Jesus. Navigating life and living it purposefully is challenging when we are prone to self-centeredness. Knowing that it is a fight to the finish to live it well, the wisdom found in this book will be an encouraging companion to refer to again and again.

It has encouraged me to keep the goal in sight, the reward of God's "Well done good and faithful servant!". The author has wonderful nuggets of truth to help us keep on keeping on in taking the high-road.

Transparent, thought-provoking, and encouraging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be intentional!, March 10, 2014
This book is draws you in, makes you think of Your relationship with The Lord, to prepare for your future here and with Him in heaven. Jean Fleming's books are inspiring and instructive. Love this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars writes my heart thoughts, February 15, 2014
She writes my heart thoughts, puts words to the deep wrestlings of my soul. Just in time! Ready for the next step now.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›