Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

92%
Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:$4.99

on December 15, 2011
Sometimes, I get frustrated with myself when I begin to write a review on a book that I didn't love only to find out that all the other reviews are glowing. This is the case with Pushover by Laurel Mayer. While I did like the book, I didn't love it and can't give it a five star review. The story follows Dani Wilder as she opens her first restaurant - in a location where a woman was allegedly pushed to her death. By Dani's boyfriend's former fiancée. When Dani finds out about this past lover, whom Jack has never mentioned, she begins to wonder if he is really over her and more so - did she really do it? When Rebecca sweeps back into town, she begins to spin her own web of lies and manipulate her way back into Jack's good graces. How will Dani make it unscathed through all the drama, and can her restaurant and dream be a success?

While I thought I could love the plot and I'm all for a good mystery, this book just fell a little flat for me. I thought the writing was a bit slow and sometimes I just didn't have that spark to keep reading. I'm really bummed too because like I said I enjoy the mystery aspects in a book, and I love reading about food. The parts that slowed me down were the flashbacks with Vic and Melinda. I thought they were a bit much. I could easily tell that Vic was highly in love with Melinda and that something devastating had happened, but all the pages of back story was just not necessary in my opinion. Jack's character confused me a bit at times too - I couldn't always tell what Dani saw in him - but Rebecca was great. In an evil way, of course. Her character is one that you will just hate, but need to keep reading about. Overall, I had a good time reading Pushover, but it's not a favorite of mine. I think flashbacks can really make or break a story, and in my opinion it broke it for this one. But, I could tell that Mayer does have some great writing skills, and I will definitely check her out again!

I received this book from the author in exchange for my honest review.
on January 1, 2012
I had waited for the perfect moment to begin reading "Pushover"...the kids were out of the house, I had my tea and some sweets by my side, and a whole afternoon ahead of me. From the moment I opened the book I was pulled in by the characters. The author developed these characters in such a way, that I was finding myself associating each one with people that I have had experiences with in real life. It made it so easy to fall in love with each of them (even Rebecca, who is so deliciously loathsome you can't wait to watch her interact with the other personalities in the book). I did not put this novel down until I had finished it in it's entirety. You know you have read a great story when you feel a loss when it is done. I just could not let it go...I picked up the phone to discuss it with my mom, whom I purchased the book for as well!! Let me just say that we carried on for so long, my kids went without a nice cooked meal that night and went out with their dad for pizza :) Well worth it for such a great read!! I really hope to see more from Ms. Mayer in the future
on July 30, 2011
I'm a fan of escapism. Especially through reading.

PUSHOVER by Laurel Mayer is just such a book. From the first chapter to the last, this book was fast paced and full of twists and turns. Just when I thought I knew what would happen, something entirely different did. The clever mix of characters had me torn between wanting to give them either a big hug or a jolly good slap.

The pivotal character Dani, came full circle emotionally as she, in her own words, became more 'enlightened'. There was enough to relate to in her sometimes unbelievable journey, to foster feelings of empathy and the ending was satisfyingly resolved.

I recommend PUSHOVER to anyone wanting a fun, fast paced read. Perfect to take on holiday, or just a weekend off at home.
on July 8, 2011
I wasn't sure what to think when I downloaded this novel, as there is always a risk with an unknown author. However, the cover immediately caught my eye and I decided to go for it. I was not disappointed! I read this book in practically one sitting; the characters are well developed and invite you in right away. I loved the twists and turns in the plot and couldn't wait to find out how the story would end. The flashbacks to Vic's former life in NJ are heartbreaking and beautifully written. Laurel Mayer's writing reminds me of some of my favorite chick-lit authors, and I can't wait for more. Bring this book to the beach with you this summer... you will not regret it!
on June 5, 2011
A great summer read with a wonderful mix of characters and a plot that surprised me right up until the last page. It was easy to relate to the cop from NJ, the aspiring restauranteur and the pregnant woman. The troublemaker Rebecca was easy to hate. The pediatricans to the stars were quite caught up in themselves. While some would say the book ended abruptly, it left me thinking. I can not decide if I disliked Jack Gabriel or felt sorry for him. Perhaps he got what he deserved!
Give this book a shot. Lose yourself among the streets and beaches of LA and the casinos and pools of Las Vegas The price is right and it was fun to read!
on August 9, 2011
From Dani's unapologetic way of taking care of herself, to Rebecca's mischievous, conniving game-playing; from the entertaining Blake to the handsome and tortured Vic, I couldn't put it down! Laurel Mayer does an excellent job of weaving the stories of several complex characters into one main story line without diluting the side stories, and without confusing the reader. My first read on an electronic reading device, I was pleased to see that it made absolutely no difference, as I flipped from one virtual page to the next to see what would happen. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and would LOVE to know what happens next!
on August 26, 2011
We're just going to come right out and say it, we LOVED this book!

It made us laugh, it made us cry, it made us angry. I (Jenny) was rapidly texting Kaitlin while reading this book saying things like, "OMG can I stab his eye out?" and then later "I'm totally crying right now." among other various thoughts.

Laurel Mayer does such a fabulous job developing the characters and plot in this story. You can't help but completely love Dani. We absolutely loathed Rebecca, her character was delightfully evil and the rest of the characters were, well, you just need to read to find out.

(View more reviews at [...])
on July 26, 2011
We're just going to come right out and say it, we LOVED this book!

on September 24, 2011
This is one of those books that I hate to love because it leaves me thinking at the end. Wondering about the characters and what they are doing now. What a great summer read that keeps you turning the pages. Laurel Mayer is wonderfully descriptive and you can picture every setting and see the world she creates in your mind. My heart just broke for Vic, I wanted to slap Blake, I could not believe the vapidness of Rebecca and I cheered Dani on from page one hoping her self preservation would see her through!
on August 23, 2011
I'm a foodie, so the setting for this book (a new restaurant) is what intrigued me. The main character was pretty believable and I liked her from the start. Lots of twists and turns, but let's just say that I was hating the character Rebecca throughout! Don't want to give any of the story away, but I did like the book and hope to see more from the author.