Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Put Your House on a Diet: De-Clutter Your Home and Reclaim Your Life
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on July 16, 2006
There are a lot of books out there on how to declutter your life. Is this the best one on the market? That depends on what you're looking for. If you want soul-searching advice or spiritual guidance as you empty out that junk drawer, then this is not the book for you. But if you just want a lot of ideas you can put to use quickly and easily, you might want to consider this book.
This book wasnt alot of help. Just not meaty enough to tackle our problems. I am not saying you wont find good stuff in here because you do. Just not enough I feel. Here are some other ideas I hope you find helpful from what I have learned being a de-cluttering junkie.
First I have been working diligently on de cluttering my personal and business life. I have read so many simplifying and de-cluttering and efficiency books I almost have a clutter problem with all the books on the subject. (Cured that recently too with the Kindle 2.)
I run three business. One brick and morter and two online. I was getting over four hundred emails a day and was drowning in mail and spam. So I utilized ideas / suggestions from several sources to cure my problems. From the Four Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss we started using detailed faq's lists on our websites and an auto-responder that answered many questions so we would no longer have to reply to as many emails. For the ones we do answer the questions are predictable and we saved the answers as email drafts that way we just cut and paste and all done.
For the Spam we ran our eight email accounts into one google mail as they have the best spam filters and you can reply from the email address to which the mail was sent so they dont know that anything is happening. And suggestions from the life hacker Upgrade Your Life: The Lifehacker Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, Better by Gina Tripani has some interesting ideas for sure.
Keeping your inbox empty we use suggestions from Stress Less and Zen to Done by Leo Babauta and you would not believe how much better you feel when things are under control. But it is you who must Work the system or you will be overwhelmed again.
A much more detailed program is used in Getting Things Done David Allen book, but the above is kind of the simplified version that I currently prefer.
And for just getting rid of all the clutter in your life any of the books from Peter Walsh, How to Organize (Just About) Everything, and Enough Already, are great even though they tend to recover some of the material from his other books somewhat but thats not a big deal since the info is worth repeating. Another good author but she covers pretty much the same thing is Julie Morgenstern. The books by Koch on the 80/20 principle are also worth looking into.For the paper clutter in my life I have a digital sender scanner and have scanned over four full file cabinets into Adobe PDF computer files. I have done this with pictures too as you can also save them info Jpeg and Jiff files. While there are tons more books out there and I seem to have most of them, these are the best to get things under control and to get you the time to do the things that matter to you.
on July 24, 2006
Put Your House on a Diet presents straightforward advice on cutting clutter room by room. It's written in a humorous tone with tons of tips the reader can use to cut clutter. The book also describes many options for turning your clutter into cash. Flea markets, auctions, eBay, and other options are discussed. Put Your House on a Diet provides simple,inexpensive, practical storage solutions that nearly anyone can implement unlike Martha Stewart's quite costly ideas. Anyone living in a clutter cramped apartment or home will find some useful tactics here to use in their battle with clutter. Buy It! It will change your living space and state of mind!
on July 25, 2006
I just moved into a tiny apartment and brought with me this book, which had helped me with my "spring cleaning" a few years ago. The organizing tips helped me tremendously to configure my new space -- highly recommended for anyone who wants to ban OR prevent clutter.
on March 29, 2007
Is your house groaning with stuff? And do you continue to buy more? Our things, say these authors, can easily become a burden - much like extra weight on our bodies.

The solution, however, while simple for some, can be quite daunting for others. Like a diet, it requires an examination of our impulsive behaviors and emotional attachments to objects. Room-by-room, though, we can regain control of our homes - and our lives. The authors show us how to do that, in sensible and timely ways.
on August 21, 2006
I found the advice on the home office section especially practical and useful. This book has a lot of energy and it inspired my decision-making and creative decluttering. I took some of their ideas and used others as a springboard for my own. Now I need a book on how to organize my diet, so that will work as well ...
on January 25, 2013
This book starts off with making comparisons between being overweight and having a house that's too stuffed with things.
It continues to trying to work that theme on and off though out the book with little effect.
While there are things in here that people will find helpful the book wanders off into information on
how to re-organize, clean and store things rather than dealing with the real problem of people having too much stuff
and enabling them to get rid of it.
I prefer Don Aslett's "For Packrats Only: How to Clean Up, Clear Out and Dejunk Your Life Forever".
The Aslett book deals with the causes of clutter and busts the excuses that people use to hang onto stuff.
on July 20, 2006
I thought the decorating ideas in this book were TACKY! I would never use any of them in my home. I got the feeling this author was on a publishers "payment due timeline" and had no idea about the inside of a home. Martha really has raised the bar. This book was a disappointment.
on March 23, 2006
Bad paper, Old advice. Just plain awful and a waste of Money.