5.0 out of 5 stars Moved to the top of favorite canning books
Published on July 23, 2010 by Laurie Jarmer

2.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to Love this book...
Published on September 23, 2011 by BirdGrrrl

5.0 out of 5 stars Moved to the top of favorite canning books, July 23, 2010
This review is from: Put 'em Up! (Paperback)
I have been canning for over 30 years and teach canning classes in the community. Part of my class is helping my students find a good canning book to use as a resource. I personally have many books and regularly check to see what's new out there. Then I pass on my top 4 or 5 favorites to my students in the class. After looking through 'Put em UP', reading the how to information, browsing through the recipes, and just the way the book is laid out and illustrated, I would definitely move this to a top choice for someone who needs information on canning. Everyone who wants to can (or preserve by any method) needs a good book or two. Even after 30 years of canning I still reread the basics every year, just to make sure I'm not forgetting some step. This book has great step-by-step instructions. One of my favorite things about the book is that it lists produce and then follows with ways to preserve that particular food and recipes. Most other canning books group things by kind, such as all jam & jelly recipes in one chapter and all pickles in another chapter, etc. Often when I bring home some kind of produce from a farmers' market or local farm, I've not decided for sure what I will do with it. By using this book, I can go to the section on say blueberries and look through my options, then decide how I want to preserve the berries. I'm also impressed with the knowledge and creativity the author shows in this book. Her recipes are wide and varied and I can see that many will become favorites in my home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Video Review, June 21, 2010
Length:: 2:58 Mins

A comprehensive canning & preserving book packed full of recipes, techniques, tips, troubleshooting, resources & more! Big bang for your buck.

~XOXO~

5.0 out of 5 stars When you're ready to go beyond the Blue Book, try this book., September 8, 2010
This review is from: Put 'em Up! (Paperback)
I must say that Storey Publishing REALLY knows how to put out great cookbooks. Here's my newest favorite by Sherri Brooks Vinton called, Put 'em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling.

For the past year, I've been gathering all the information I can get my hands on about preserving foods. I've spent hours talking with veteran canners (older & wiser women), researching techniques, comparing recipes, and finding the best sources for fresh produce. It's been a sweet high, I must say, to put up delicious tasting, locally grown, fruits and vegetables, knowing full well my family will be enjoying Summer's treats long after the plants are spent and the garden beds lie dormant.

Learning to preserve and actually putting up different foods is not a hobby for me. It's a new life choice. Some of you may already know that I stopped buying products containing high fructose corn syrup. Boy. That decision right there takes 75% percent off the grocery list. Well, some of the first items we missed eating were red plum jam and bread-and-butter pickles. I didn't want to live without those foods, so I had no choice but to make them on my own.

I don't think it's an coincidence that my new lifestyle choice and this new book have come together at the right time. When Storey Publishing gave me this book to review, I took it as a sign that I was on the right track in my thinking.

HERE'S WHAT I ENJOY MOST ABOUT PUT 'EM UP!

* Easy to read format throughout the book.
* Thorough information on the techniques of food preparation and food preservation methods.
* Contains extra big chunks of wisdom regarding "Working in Groups", "Things That Will Surely Get You Into Trouble", and "Things That Look Bad But Aren't Dangerous".
* Recipes are mixed with traditional basics and intriguing ethic delights.
* Recipes are organized by produce that's listed in alphabetical order.
* The illustrations are clear and simple to follow. We're not left guessing or assuming what happens next.

Produce covered in PUT 'EM UP!

Apples, Asparagus, Beans, Beets, Berries, Cabbage, Cantaloupe, Carrots, Cauliflower, Cherries, Chilies, Citrus, Corn, Cucumbers, Fennel, Figs, Garlic, Grapes, Herbs, Mushrooms, Onions, Peaches, Pears, Plums, Radishes, Ramps and Scapes, Rhubarb, Strawberries, Summer Squash and Zucchini, Sweet Peppers, Tomatillos and Green Tomatoes, Tomatoes, Watermelon

Recipes I've made from this book, so far.

Spicy Peach Salsa, Bread-and-Butter Chips, Pickle Relish and Classic Crock Pickles

Recipes I can't wait to try next. I'll just name a few.

Cucumber Aqua Fresca, Classic Fermented Sauerkraut, Preserved Lemons, Picnic Relish, Pickled Garlic, Herbed Vinegar, Pickled Button Mushrooms, Caramelized Onion Confit, Peach Butter, Strawberry Vinegar, Salsa Verde, Whole Canned Tomatillos, Easy-Bake Tomato Paste, and Watermelon Granita.

No matter whether you've been canning for years or you're just getting started in the art of preserving foods, Put 'Em Up! is a book worth adding to your shelf. It's full of inspiration, incredible recipes, and knowledgeable information you can refer back to again and again.

2.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to Love this book..., September 23, 2011
BirdGrrrl (Santa Cruz, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Put 'em Up! (Paperback)
I have now made 5 recipes from this book and not one has come out the way I hoped it would. I'm the granddaughter of an obsessive canner. I know my way around a boiling water bath and and can spot the jelling point in my jam from across the kitchen. Nonetheless, my Put 'em Up cherry jam came out totally runny.. there just is not enough sugar in the recipe for the fruit to jell without some pectin. I've made all 3 of her pickle recipes, and agree with another reviewer that they're basically inedible. Such a shame. Now I'm afraid to keep experimenting with her recipes because produce is too precious to waste. Unfortunately, I don't know of a modern alternative to recommend, and so many old fashioned recipes have too much sugar for my taste.

3.0 out of 5 stars Brand specific pectin - if you can find it, August 24, 2010
This review is from: Put 'em Up! (Paperback)
The book is very interesting and well written, but I find it frustrating that the pectin in the recipies is a specific brand (Pamona's) that is hard to find in stores and with a different set up than all of the typical national brands (pectin powder and calcium powder?). I wouldn't mind if there was a note on how to convert to standard pectins. I might not have purchased this if I had known.

2.0 out of 5 stars Eh . . . not that great, December 29, 2010
Christen Clark (Lansing, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Put 'em Up! (Paperback)
I was really, really excited to get this book, based on the Table of Contents and other reviews. However, I have to say that I have been disappointed so far. I made two of the pickle recipes this summer. The dill spears turned out utterly inedible. There is just something WRONG with the brine recipe -- it tastes disgusting, worse than those neon green pickles you get off the shelf at the grocery store. Nothing like the other homemade pickles I've made from other recipes. The bread and butter pickles were only marginally better (at least I didn't dump all those all in the compost bin). I liked them okay just refrigerated, but once they were heat sealed, they turned totally mushy and the brine doesn't taste nearly as good, somehow. I'll probably give the book another try for other recipes, but if those are as bad as the first two were, this one's going right to the donation bin. I think there are much better books out there about pickling and preserving right now that I'd recommend above this one (the Blue Chair Jam cookbook and Canning for a New Generation come to mind immediately).

3.0 out of 5 stars not enough information on PH levels, April 1, 2011
This review is from: Put 'em Up! (Paperback)
OK but not enough information on importance of Ph levels. Does not go into pressure cookers with low acid foods. I was always told pressure caners were a must with low acid food unless you are fermenting, such as lactic acid fermentation with sauerkraut. I realize she is changing the acidity of the food by what she is adding in her recipes, but I think it is important to say something about how important that is or someone might think it is ok to change the amount of lemon juice or type of vinegar.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many "fridge" recipes to be called a canning book, January 12, 2013
This review is from: Put 'em Up! (Paperback)
I have been canning for more than 30 years. After reading the reviews for this book I thought I'd take a chance. It's mediocre. I love using Pamona's Universal Pectin because it does not contain corn syrup like the major brands of pectin. But not a single recipe in this book that uses Pamona's was original. They are all right out of the Pamona's box insert. So the jam recipes in this book were useless to me. Then, I excitedly turned to the other recipes -- only to discover that a large number of them are not canned at all--they are to be refrigerated and kept only a matter of days or weeks. To me, this is NOT food preservation. It's just cooking and storing in the fridge. Furthermore, it uses about a hundred pages to just talk about various methods of food preservation--which is okay, except then the book doesn't really give you that many recipes for food preservation...just sticking it in the fridge or freezer.
I have the Ball Blue Book and I use the USDA's canning guidelines, and I have a few other trusted canning books I turn to all the time, including Better Homes and Garden's "Can It!" While these books may have an occasional recipe for freezing or devote a small chapter to it, they don't just stick them all in with the other recipes.
I was excited to see recipes for caramelized onions only to see it was a "fridge" recipe. There is a wonderful canning recipe for something similar in "Can It!" I was thrilled to see a recipe for marinated asparagus, but then disgusted to see it's also not for canning.
I really feel that the author did a bait and switch with the readers--the title "Put it Up!" implies longer storage than a few days in the fridge. I wanted delicious new canning recipes and what she gave me were typical old regular ones, some of them ripped off from Pamonas. This book was not worth the money. The ONLY recipe I think I might try is the lemon curd, but it has eggs and is water bath processed. I am not sure if this recipe meets USDA canning guidelines or how it has been tested. Nothing in the book says if the recipes have been tested or how they've been tested for safety, but the author dwells for pages and pages on how people think canning can KILL you....
(Which in all my years of canning, has never once been a fear that I have thought or heard from others because if you follow basic food safety rules in your kitchen, and you sterilize your jars and equipment, and follow only tested recipes, you don't need to worry about this.)

Finally, to those put off by the use of Pamona's Universal Pectin, you should know that one box makes several batches of jam. It is a natural product, has no corn syrup in it, and it can make low sugar or even no sugar jam. It is the first pectin you can use where you control the sugar content. It is easy to convert any recipe to use Pamona's simply by looking at the Pamona's insert and determining what amount of fruit your recipe has and learn what amount of pectin powder and calcium water you need. I have successfully converted plenty of recipes in order to use Pamona's. I can't understand why people would be upset with this pectin as it is far superior to anything I have ever used before. Pamona's invites you to create your own fantastic jams--with unique combinations. (White chocolate raspberry spread, converted from the "Can It" book, for example) I have never had Pamona's fail to gel, either. Perfect, every single time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fed up with "Put "Em Up!", July 30, 2013
This review is from: Put 'em Up! (Paperback)
There are many things I like about this cookbook. I like the format (each section separated by main ingredient), the light-hearted attitude of the author and the lower sugar recipes. Unfortunately, I have had far too many recipes not work properly. I am somewhat experienced in food preservation and well experienced in cooking, so I do not believe this is operator error. Today, I finally got around to making Dilly Beans, a recipe I have wanted to try for a very long time. I had to DOUBLE the brine recipe as I ran out halfway through filling the jars. I had to stop where I was in the process, measure out the ingredients and then boil the brine all over again. When you are on your next to last step, this is very frustrating. Another issue with this and many recipes in this book is the inaccurate yield of recipes. My four pounds of green beans should have yielded 8 pints, I had 9 and that was after sorting through many beans that did not make the canning cut. I also had a yield problem with the peach butter recipe, made much more than she stated in the book. This is important because you need to prep your jars before you start a recipe. I always prep more, but sometimes even then I run out of clean, sterile jars and have to start over. The main issue I have with these discrepancies is that it seems the recipes were not well tested. With canning, this can be downright dangerous. You want your recipes to be quite exact to avoid too low pH, too little sugar, too much/little liquid. All these things affect the safety and quality of the final product. I do not feel confident that these recipes were tested as extensively as canning recipes should be. I still like the book though. If you decide to get it, do yourself a favor and double the brine each cold pack recipe says you may need, it will save you a lot of frustration.

2.0 out of 5 stars Complete guide is incomplete..., January 18, 2012
This review is from: Put 'em Up! (Paperback)
I was dissapointed in this books. How can the complete guide for food preservation not include any recipes for pressure canning? Although informative you can find the "how to's" for canning in any book. The recipes in my opinion are what makes a book unique and I was highly dissapointed in the recipe section. Some of the recipes were so uninspired. Why list a seperate recipe for peach leather, strawberry leather, cherry leather, apple leather etc... Why give freezing instructions for each fruit. There were few unique recipes in this book

Put 'em Up!
Put 'em Up! by Sherri Brooks Vinton (Paperback - June 2, 2010)
$19.95 $13.59